PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

WI (womens institute)

Options

Comments

• EmptyPurse
    EmptyPurse Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    From what I've heard from fellow W.I. members, every branch is different. Some are a bit on the cliquey side and some definitely don't have any members under 60! However, other branches are really active and very 'young'.

I'm lucky in that I live in London and there are several very dynamic groups nearby. At our group we have a guest speaker every month and plenty of time to gossip over tea and homemade cake. It's relatively new and we're looking at doing a lot more social activities over the coming months. Hopefully someone else will pop into this thread who's been a member for a lot longer and can tell you all about it!

I guess the only way to find out what your local group is like is to go along and try it. Most places will let you pop in as a guest for a nominal donation (or free, if you're really lucky).
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hi EmptyPurse - I too would love to join a local WI and have looked into this in the past but sadly there isn't one close enough to where I live, I'm close to Bexleyheath. Would be good as I'm very OS but most of my friends aren't so would be good to be able to meet more like-minded people with other OS ideas.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I've been a member for several years.Many members are older-I think they did a survey a few years ago and only about 4% of the national membership was under 50.

We have some good speakers and try to have a trip out-to the cinema or an interestng building about once a month.

Everyone is very friendly in our WI and we do try to support members who are ill or getting a bit frail by keeping in contact and helping with shopping , transport etc.

The current book of vouchers that you get when you join isn't much good though-I've only used one
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All
    I'm a member too, the first branch I joined when I was 40 & I was the youngest by about 10 years for the first few years, then we had more younger members join.
    I recently joined my local one in the area I have moved too & our members range from 30 to 80, I find everyone to be very friendly & neither of the branches I've belonged to have been at all cliquey.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Leopardlady
    Leopardlady Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would love to join one, i could join one a little way away from where i live now. I could return to my old village, but would love to see if one could be started in Swindon but i don't know anyone else who would be interested?
    Oh well maybe back to the old village it is?
    Leopardlady
    Got married on the 26th April 08!!!!!!!:j:T

Bumpy Bean was due 20th Nov 2010, born 15th Nov :j:j:T
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    Sorry Mrs. Irwin, as the box to reply came up I realised you were asking if the WI is right wing and old fashioned, not being OS. doh :p

Calendar Girls was based on a WI group.

I went once - the 'Jerusalem' thing did it for me. It could have been the group, but it was a bit hierarchical, 'top tabley', IYKWIM

This worries me too :confused: at 34 I still feel a little too you although I really am very os and always have been...its just the image :o ,it isnt that great although I am sure there must be loads of really nice groups around. As for the calendar girls..love it and the place its set....:D I am also a complete coward and havent got the nerve to admit I would like to try it out :rotfl: oooh I just did:rotfl: !!
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hm - now I am thinking of joining the WI, but I must be too young, I am only 20! I thought it might be a good way of making friends though, as I don't have that many down here.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Mrs._Irwin
    Mrs._Irwin Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some awesome Green Tomato and Chilli chutney from the WI stall on the Farmer's Market yesterday. I mentioned this thread to DH - and his response? - :rolleyes:

I have a problem with 'Jerusalem' in general, because it is NOT a song about our imperial heritage or British superiority. William Blake was an anarchist and it's about how aweful Britain was during the Industrial Revolution and how he wishes that one day it might be better. Needless to say it being used in the trailers for the BBCs 'White' season has wound me up to fever-pitch!
    I am both very old-fashioned and very liberal. Or deliberately contrary as some might say!
    The combination of campaigning on green issues followed by some jam-making sounds about perfect to me, but I wouldn't want to frighten the 'old ladies'!

Mrs. Irwin
    xx
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • jollymummy
    jollymummy Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there
    I have lived in a small village for the last 4 years and have been toying with the idea of joining the WI, I'm 39 with a DS who will start school this year. I enjoy crafting and gardening and wondered if any of you were WI members, how old you are, what it's like ,would you recommend it? What have you done as a member?
    Before you ask, no I don't want to join just to do the nudey calendars :)
    JM
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Options
    Ive been a couple of times and am 41 always good fun, but they tend to be ladies over 60, but they like us young ones going and make you feel very welcome. i keep meaning to join myself, but i dont like to go on my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure