PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help removing a dried on blood stain

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    help removing a dried on blood stain should give you plenty of ideas. I hope your DD is ok

well merge this later

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• inamegajam
    inamegajam Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I have always found cold water & a bar of soap does the trick or even washing up liquid, then wash !!! normal:D
    Never play with your Bellybutton your Bum could fall off.:rotfl:
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    My OH has got a blood stain on a light fawn coloured pair of trousers. The stain is a circle about 4 inches in diameter. (no I haven't tried to murder him - not this time anyway!!)

I always thought the solution is to soak clothes in cold water as this tends to lift the blood stain off. However OH was trying to be "helpful" and put the trousers in a bowl of warm water with washing powder & tried scrubbing them with a nail brush. When i found him i stopped him as it wasn't working & put the trousers in cold water. However after soaking the blood stain seems to now be fast on the trousers.

Can anyone suggest how to get the stain off please? (other than just putting in the washing machine as normal & hoping for the best).

Thanks in advance
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    You could try a 40degree wash with a good biological washing powder - and maybe a scoop of Vanish or somesuch in with it. If that fails, try a soak in washing soda crystals, then wash as above.
    Normal people worry me.
  • eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Soak in cold salty water ,then wash
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    Options
    My friend's mum used to work in a laundry. Soaking in cold salted water like eandjsmum says is the way they did it. You need a fairly strong solution, a really good handful in a bowl of water. Then I would use biological powder in the wash.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Unfortunately, warm water sets the protein in the blood and this will make it more difficult to remove, and may have scuppered your chances completely.

For future reference, as others have said, soak with cold water, and preferably some salt, as soon as possible after the stain occurs - best of all if it doesn't get a chance to dry out. Biological washing powder or liquid is very good, applied directly to the stain (with some cold water to dissolve if powder).
    Good luck!
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • hot.chick
    hot.chick Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    someone once used milk on a blood stain when I cut my head open, but it was fresh...

maybe a stain devil might help, I know there's a blood one.

it he OK???
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    either soak again in biological washing powder or Biotex. but if the bloodstain dried you may never get the dried bit out! it may need a couple of tries but Biotex hasnt let me down yet! (my son used to get nosebleeds at night and a soak in Biotex always sorted the pillowcases out).
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    hot.chick wrote: »
    someone once used milk on a blood stain when I cut my head open, but it was fresh...

maybe a stain devil might help, I know there's a blood one.

it he OK???

Aww someone asking after him! He just scratched a scan off but the would bled & bled. Little disconcerting that a little skin would could bleed so much.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure