PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Hello folks - I am wearing full protection so that I don't spread my germs to anyone. I spent yesterday at 'work' sneezing my head off and woke up this morning feeling dreadful. I no longer have a nose, I seem to have grown a tap - my eye disease has flared up but I cannot get my drops in because my eyes are streaming too - generally feeling meh.

Mum2One - ask the nurse if you can put granulated sugar on your wound because it will help it heal. It is a treatment that is used in some of the hospitals now - although you might not be able to try it because of your diabetes.

Medical students - meh...sometimes I don't mind being seen by them because they have to learn but hate it when I go to the GP about something and then he mentions my eyes to them so I get lots of questions about them and the operations that I have had and at the end I have to re-book the appointment to see the doctor about what I wanted to talk about in the first place.:mad:

I took some casserole beef out of the freezer on Saturday night and it is still sitting in the fridge, do you think it will be ok to re-freeze without cooking it because I don't feel able to cook it at the mo - the thought of chopping onions and veg to go with it and to sling it in the slow cooker is too much effort.

Off now to smear my d!colletage with vicks.
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 March 2015 at 10:51PM
    Options
    Greenbee - great tip - I will have to remember that

Ellie - I couldn't have you eating alone and so have had a choccie wafer in solidarity :D

MITSM - don't get me started on clothes sizes - they are all so random these days in even the same store! Well done on all the exercise

Horace - sorry to hear you are poorly. Re: the beef no you shouldn't refreeze it. I would have thought it will be ok in the fridge. You may feel better tomorrow?
  • BookWorm
    Options
    :wave:
    Helloooooooooooooooooo!!

Hope everyone is ok :)
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    :wave: hello Bookworm :)

I ache all over tonight...have spent most of the day at my aunts flat clearing out clothes. She's moved into a care home and we've been putting off the big clear out all winter thinking as long as we could get the flat on the market in the spring that would be soon enough.
    Well spring is nearly here!

She was a buyer and a hoarder, today was awful. I seriously doubt my back will hold out...I'm keen to get in a house clearance firm (one which buys the decent stuff) but although my mother has agreed I can do that she still wants to look at everything, and we have very different ideas of what should be binned!

And just to help the process along, aunt is sitting in her care home telling us what we should keep...last week she told me we had to keep her bed, yeah, like that would be easy to store!

All of you who've done this before, I take my hat off to you, it's a huge effort. I'll definitely be having another clear out in my own house, I'm looking at things and asking myself if my sons would just chuck it out if I wasn't here. I'm not a hoarder, but I'll find some more to part with I'm sure.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • Horace
    Options
    Feeling a little better today but it has been a PJ day - I think that I will go out for a walk tomorrow either down the hill to the supermarket or up to the Spa shop - I feel the need to spread my germs around.

The casserole steak is still in the fridge - am hoping it will still be ok tomorrow.

Ellie - clearing out houses is dreadful and sometimes it is amazing what you find. In my late now ex MIL's house I found some parachute silk, the silk thread that had been drawn from the parachute. A cloche hat with a huge pink flamingo feather on it, my late FIL's wedding suit and tons and tons of Christian books. Some things went to charity shops, other things got dumped. My now ex OH gave me a piece of embroidered silk which was lovely but it was too nice to cut up and too big to frame - I sold it in the end and used the money on something for my house.

Sometimes it just pays to chuck things out when your mum isn't looking and that way you can get rid of it quicker.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Horace if there's any doubt please throw it. As you've just been quite poorly it really isn't worth giving yourself a dose of food poisoning for the sake of the cost of the beef.

Ellie having to sort out my late husbands carefully hoarded collection of "stuff" meant that I was ruthless when we moved here. I relocated roughly half of the contents of our old house to the charity shops, free cycle sites and anywhere else it was wanted. I hope your back holds out.
  • Horace
    Options
    Did not venture out yesterday (Thursday) as I did not drag myself out of bed until 12.45pm and felt a lot better for having a good sleep. I have to venture out today to sign on.

If the beef smells or if the pack is puffed up then it will go in the bin - I hate waste but don't want to poison myself either. I haven't really cooked except for two bits of toast yesterday.

Hope everyone is ok?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2015 at 9:14AM
    Options
    Carrying on as per usual here. Gearing myself up mentally to trip to dentist today - so no excitement here at moment - just the wearisome thought of a round trip of 3 hours to get there and back:eek:. There are dentists nearer, but that's how far I have to go to get the sort of dentist I am used to...:(. Hoping the weather is going to look reasonable, as I'm bribing myself into this with the thought of two things = one being the chance of a meal out (there aren't many places to eat out around here) and maybe trying out a walk I've sussed out as existing whilst I'm in Big Town No. 1 here.

Never mind...I shall be having a visit back to Home Area at some point soon and I cant afford it this time round, but have made a policy decision on future Home Area Visits to get my fill of places to eat out/stock up on clothes/etc. I guess two longish visits a year - ie in spring (during which I'll buy any summer clothes I need) and autumn (during which I'll buy an winter clothes I need) should keep me dressing as per normal. Darent buy any clothes at the moment anyway, as I'd be buying ones too big for me (as I still have that weight to lose), so am currently getting scruffier and scruffier - which constitutes a very good incentive now to get on with losing that weight, so I can buy some new clothes I need. I think the weight is starting to melt off - now nfh isn't driving me to drink at regular intervals and I'm getting in some more walking:)

Note to self time being that I'll have to spend a day or two people watching closely in the streets in Home Area before I do the clothes-buying each visit, to "get my eye in" as to what clothes I am going to wish to buy (as the "style" is different here...and I'll soon lose my sense of what is up-to-date Home Area style). I noticed as soon as I moved here that what I don't see here, for instance, is well-cut trousers to half calf level and loafers and such on the one hand and what I don't see there is Upcycled Clothing (whereas the choice here is largely that Upcycled Clothing or clothes of the type that just don't register on my mind at all and I couldn't tell you what anyone I've just been talking to was wearing half the time if I think about it later). I like some of the upcycled clothing, but I cant quite see me in it...and I don't want "forgettable" clothes.
  • BookWorm
    Options
    :j we've made it to the weekend :j
    Can you tell I'm pleased about it? :D
    :rotfl:
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    MITSTM, what's Upcycled Clothing? I thought maybe second hand stuff from charity shops, but then thought, no, because charity shops are in every area.

You could always shop for what you like from home...there's loads of catalogues to look at, and all the main shops do online ordering nowadays.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure