* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• elliew8
    elliew8 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all, I haven't been around since last year but it's almost that time of year again! Only 123 days to go!
    I have read back a few pages to see what everybody has been up to, congratulations on the news Chrissy :)
    It was all the talk of Christmas markets that made me stop lurking. I can definitely recommend Berlin for markets, there were about 7 we went to in total and all of them offered something slightly different, it was very cold though! We've just booked a night in Bath for the first week of December to go to the market, I'm really excited as I've only ever been to Winter Wonderland in the UK so interested to see what it's like.
    I'm on target in terms of Christmas prep, I have got online baskets full of pressies, just waiting until payday or if any discount codes crop up. My list is coming along nicely, just need to actually buy some!
    I really like the sound of a wrapping party, however not sure I'd actually be able to get any wrapping done if I'm participating on here and stopping the cat from ruining all of the wrapping paper lol
    I'm also trying to convince my DH to get another tree (we already have 4 lol) so I've been on the lookout on Tesco/ Argos/ the Range... tried to look at Matalan and they said their Christmas shop opens in September so looking forward to browsing already!
    I'm dreaming... of a white Christmas :snow_grin :xmassmile:rudolf:
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 August 2017 at 1:28PM
    Options
    elliew8 wrote: »
    I really like the sound of a wrapping party, however not sure I'd actually be able to get any wrapping done if I'm participating on here and stopping the cat from ruining all of the wrapping paper lol
    I'm also trying to convince my DH to get another tree (we already have 4 lol) so I've been on the lookout on Tesco/ Argos/ the Range... tried to look at Matalan and they said their Christmas shop opens in September so looking forward to browsing already!

Welcome back Ellie! Nice to see you again.
    I know my only slight issue I have with wrapping parties is managing to do it around the kids and two terriers. :D

Im also the same with trees - we have two at the minute but Id like to give the kids one of their own so it may double to 4 this year so they have one each in their rooms, one on the landing and one in the living room

Well I have survived the Schoolwear shopping - and I am now £120 lighter for the privilege. And I still have school shoes each to get, Ben needs a haircut and Holly needs a school jumper with the logo on but Ill leave this until she actually starts back at school. But at least it is done. Also brought two cork boards - one to help Ben organise himself and one to help me organise myself!

although I have hit a slight christmas hiccup as well......
    My husband has taken over the dining room (our kitchen and dining room are combined) but he has turned it into a gym :eek: and in the process threw out my dining table......so I have no dining table - although I do have a workout bench and 2 chairs..... Im wondering whether or not to try and find one of these tables that folds down into a side board that self stores chairs in it. Or make some kind of funky display on the chimney breast wall with chairs and a table that can be folded down as and when needed.
    I think some rearranging may be in order for christmas - not that hes used his gym since about April! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Peppapig wrote: »
    FREE I guess we're both just a bundle of contradictions lol, do you think that makes us interesting?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Boiler broke, had to ring british gas. They fixed it today but now its playing up again! They are coming out tomorrow but it means a day out has had to be cancelled.
    If everybody fancies the idea of a wrapping party I will get on with dates.

Sammykaye18= i have still to tackle the major uniform shop so will maybe get it over with tomorrow.
    elliew8- great to see you back here, I too am looking for a tree. I have found a 6ft white tree I like on ebay but something is stopping me from purchasing and Im not sure why
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    04624181 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Boiler broke, had to ring british gas. They fixed it today but now its playing up again! They are coming out tomorrow but it means a day out has had to be cancelled.
    If everybody fancies the idea of a wrapping party I will get on with dates.

Sammykaye18= i have still to tackle the major uniform shop so will maybe get it over with tomorrow.
    elliew8- great to see you back here, I too am looking for a tree. I have found a 6ft white tree I like on ebay but something is stopping me from purchasing and Im not sure why

Hope they get your boiler sorted for you 046. We had one in our old house that use to drive us mental because it worked when it wanted. we spent Christmas cuddling in duvets with a small fan heater and an old gas heater for Bens first Xmas. No heating and no hot water was not my idea of fun but it was memorable at least.

Im the same with white trees as well. I think they look really pretty but something makes me stop from buying one - I think for me its maybe because I think of Xmas trees as traditionally green and go against it seems weird.

Well today involves doing a freezer, fridge and cupboards inventory so I can make a shopping list around what we have in as money is now a bit tight after the uniform shopping, a mid day shift 11 - 2.15 --- and then home to do some housework and cleaning.
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    School shopping, EUGH!!! DGS has most of his stuff already but none of the regulation, logo embroidered compulsory stuff. The supplier the school uses does not cater for 6' 4'' boys. The jumpers cut him off at the waistline, and the rugby/PE shirts are too short, too tight (even xl) and sleeves finish just below the elbow. They are excessively expensive, of only average quality and look ridiculous on him. M&Spensive do 2'' longer shirts and 2'' extra hem trousers and Deben hams provided huge shoes for his pastie paws. Rant rant rant. Rant over now.
    He still needs a haircut, so does DD. Next week.
    Nice to see you Elli.
    SammyK, l feel your pain, no table for Christmas dinner... a picnic on the floor? l don't think so.
    046, hope the boiler gets fixed today, the way this year is flying past it will soon be a survival necessity.
    Up and at -em now, coffee has worked its magic, but l'd better have another cup to make sure. xx
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    SammyK, l feel your pain, no table for Christmas dinner... a picnic on the floor? l don't think so.

Aaaahhhhh dont!!!! That is my idea of hell. We will be having a table this year - even if I have to put up a camping table and try my best with that! I am seriously going to rearrange the dining room area of the kitchen though because if I move it around I think I can make space for a table. Like I said Im hoping to find one though that folds down into a sideboard so it has minimal storage space required.

Just been looking online and realised that they are doing the Mari Lwyd again this year. Its a very weird welsh tradition but lots of fun to watch and hear. :T:T
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, Still waiting for British Gas to come, hoping they can fix it! The house needs a huge declutter so I think I may start with that. May take DD for her official school cardigans and PE top today. Will try and ring and make appt with my hairdresser for next week. Need to pay a few bills. Not feeling very energetic but Im going to force it until it comes lol

Sammy kaye- freezer inventory sounds like a good plan.My mum has a gorgeous white tree and It looks amazing every year. May take the plunge and just buy it as we have such lovely colourful decorations that the kids have made over the years so Im thinking it may look fantastic. I think you are right, it may be that I think trees should be green. Since DH and I have been living together we have always had a green tree so I think Im going to throw caution to the wind and buy it lol x
    MrsI- every year I begrudge the uniform shop. DS is taller than me and is already in size 10/11 shoes! I struggle every year with his pants and shirts.

Hope everybody is ok.
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    mandco and Clumsy I was really surprised to hear how common this allergy is in babies. We’ve been 6 days dairy free and we have seen a bit of an improvement so fingers crossed.

CHRISSY really pleased to hear your cancer genetics results were negative.

04624181 I’m not sure exactly what is happening with you but I hope you get a proper diagnosis from the GP. I love the idea of a gift wrapping together, unfortunately I can’t commit to that at the moment but hopefully I can join you all in the future!

sammy there is just under 3 years difference between Wiggle and Squeak, Wiggle turned three 6 weeks after Squeak was born. It’s difficult to manage at the moment but I’m hoping it’ll be easier when they can play together! Good luck with finding the slipper boots. I can’t believe how much school uniform costs!

On the Christmas front, DH is one of those people that doesn't do 'stuff' and if he ever wants anything he'll buy it. So I’ve decided to do him the ’12 Dates of Christmas’ for Christmas, an idea I saw on Pinterest. You get twelve envelopes and fill them with a date for each month, you can put in gift cards if you want so you’ve already paid for some of them. I’ve tried to think of a mix of half going out and half at home so we don’t need a babysitter every month! Theese are the dates I’ve come up with:

1. Restaurant meal
    2. Cinema
    3. Bowling
    4. Candle lit dinner at home
    5. BBQ for two at home
    6. Walk in the countryside
    7. Movie night at home
    8. Takeaway
    9. Indoor/garden picnic at home
    10. Tea, coffee & cake at local caf!
    11. Ice skating
    12. Fireworks display

I’ve tried to tailor it to things we like to do together. Some things we do anyway like having a takeaway, but it just means I’m paying for it so DH doesn’t have to think about it.
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    PRINCESSKITTY that's a great idea, I might do something like that for DH and at least I'll get to go out 12 times next year :D Fingers crossed things continue to improve for Squeak (and you), there's got to be some reward for not having dairy.

0462 hope BG have been now and got the boiler sorted. They're one of my least favourite organisations at the mo so I'll def be switching when this fix ends in October. Just need to get motivated to find the best deal. MSE are hoping to have one next month but might not so I have to decide whether to go it alone or wait and see.

SAMMYKAYE we sold our dining table last month but I don't care cos we're going out for Christmas dinner :D We're going to get a small bistro type table for the conservatory end of the new kitchen so we can eat there if we want to. The perks of downsizing.

MRSINVISIBLE shopping for DD must be a nightmare. Why can't they just sell patches to be sewn on blazers and have plain jumpers then everyone can shop where it suits them.

Welcome back ELLIE.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family