Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jbindebt wrote: »
    I have just used Parcelhero due to the MSE promo code offered. They lost my item and despite weeks of to-ing and fro-ing via poor customer service have just admitted the item costing over two hundred pounds can not be found despite being tracked. Stupidly I didn't purchase extra cover and have now realised a "vehicle part" is on their exemptions list.
    So I have lost everything and haven't a leg to stand on, my problem. Only now have I found the Trustpilot site wth over two hundred and fifty pages of complaints against this company. Perhaps suggesting them as a "Best buy" might be inappropriate?
    At least you didn't waste more money buying compensation. It is inevitable that some parcels do get lost.

Compensation is very limited with most carriers long list of exclusions. I send a lot of fragile items that are excluded from compensation and prefer to send them, at my risk, with UPS or Fedex who I find quite reliable. From time to time there are losses but these need to be built in to your business plan.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a parcel delivered by Hermes -

I'm in the house and see the driver come up the drive - no attempt to ring the doorbell. Goes straight around to the side of the house and puts package behind bin and then puts "sorry you were out" note through door and walks back to car.

Driver rather shocked as I opened the door as they got back into their car .... says "sorry, thought you were out" then admits they never ring bell as it "takes too long".

On-line tracking has been updated to show "left securely in outbuilding" !!
  • martindow
    Options
    TonyMMM wrote: »

I'm in the house and see the driver come up the drive - no attempt to ring the doorbell. Goes straight around to the side of the house and puts package behind bin and then puts "sorry you were out" note through door and walks back to car.

Driver rather shocked as I opened the door as they got back into their car .... says "sorry, thought you were out" then admits they never ring bell as it "takes too long".

I'm not surprised, Hermes drivers are apparently poorly paid and get a small amount per parcel and nothing extra if they need to redeliver. In this situation it is inevitable they tends to take short cuts.

There is a suspicion that their drivers are falsely made to be self employed and that they are paid below the minimum wage. HMRC are apparently investigating their business practices

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/20/delivery-giant-hermes-faces-hmrc-inquiry-into-low-pay-allegations
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    I'm not surprised, Hermes drivers are apparently poorly paid and get a small amount per parcel and nothing extra if they need to redeliver. In this situation it is inevitable they tends to take short cuts.

There is a suspicion that their drivers are falsely made to be self employed and that they are paid below the minimum wage. HMRC are apparently investigating their business practices

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/20/delivery-giant-hermes-faces-hmrc-inquiry-into-low-pay-allegations

Like everything in life, it comes down to individuals. Our local My Hermes courier is lovely. His replacement is useless to the point we use a different courier when he is away. Out of 10,000 drivers you'd expect a few bad apples.

As for them being underpaid as they are self employed. I am sure a lot of self employed people do not make the minimum wage. They just get on with it or get a different job instead of crying to HMRC about it.
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I am disabled and never go out but 9 times out of 10 I am waiting all day for a delivery from Hermes, (my living room window looks out on to the road and I can see if anybody comes to the front door) and it never arrives but when I look at the online tracking I see that Hermes tried to deliver my parcel but no one was in!!!
    I have contacted Hermes many times about their ghost delivery drivers..
    :smileyheaMagenta
  • martindow
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »

As for them being underpaid as they are self employed. I am sure a lot of self employed people do not make the minimum wage. They just get on with it or get a different job instead of crying to HMRC about it.
    It's true that a lot of self employed people do not make the minimum wage - that applies to my hobby business I suppose.

The issue with Hermes is that that they require drivers to be self employed but this is not their decision to make. There are criteria that relate to the nature of the work that determine if you are an employee or self employed. HMRC have a series of questions on their site to decide what you are.

There are suspicions that the drivers should be regarded as employees. If this is so, Hermes should be paying minimum wage, sick pay, holidays, etc. which they currently avoid paying.
  • ontheup1972
    Options

As the old saying goes "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys"

Hermes drivers don't get paid enough - whilst some obviously do a good job, there are enough drivers who cut corners making the service as a whole unreliable.

I won't send anything Hermes, and neither will I buy off any seller that I know sends through Hermes.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I need to return a faulty car battery to an online retailer. However, every single courier comparison website says batteries are on their "prohibited items" list. UPS itself doesn't list batteries as prohibited but they want to charge £40!!

How am I supposed to send it back under RMA if no-one will carry it? The retailer themselves suggested Yodel (who don't allow batteries) and UK Mail (whose website doesn't work).
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would get a cheaper quote from UPS if you go through a parcel broker such as https://www.parcel2go.com The problem is that these brokers often have them as banned. Which courier did the online retailer use and why aren't they sorting out the return? This can't be the first car battery that they have needed to have returned to them.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    You would get a cheaper quote from UPS if you go through a parcel broker such as www.parcel2go.com The problem is that these brokers often have them as banned. Which courier did the online retailer use and why aren't they sorting out the return? This can't be the first car battery that they have needed to have returned to them.
    As I said, the retailer recommended Yodel or UK Mail since that's what they use. I asked them to sort out collection and delivery and they want to charge me £18 for that, despite the fact their normal delivery charge is like £7.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback