Argos refund or not.

Options
Hi
I bought a Sony smart tv last week from Argos.
I am very disappointed with the apps on offer. No ITV hub or All 4 apps or internet browsing.
The Argos website is very vague on discription of apps stating that "it brings the latest online apps to your living room."

I returned to the shop today and got no joy with my requested refund.

My problem is that if I new which apps were available I would not have bought this tv. I even contacted Sony customer services and they said this tv only have the pre-installed apps which are very limited . Even a Bush tv has twice as many apps at half the price.

So to me the online tv discription is the problem here.

Any advice on how to proceed would be very much appreiated.

Regards
Davey.

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you put a link to the model you bought? Or the Argos number if you can’t yet post links.

Did the description specifically state that it has ITV Hub, All 4 and internet browsing/ability to download further apps?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2017 at 11:37PM
    Options
    Did you do any research into what apps were available ?

Just buy yourself a suitable streaming device to get the apps you want eg a firestick. Did you buy the tv for the apps ? Not good if you did, should buy the tv for other important aspects eg size, picture quality.
  • jevy47
    Options
    Hi,
    Many thanks for your replies.

Argos no. is 528/8315. Sony KDL32WD751 BU model.

It does not state any specific apps but shows a few but not all, on the photo's.

Freeview picture quality is worse than my 8 year old Bush 24 inch tv.

Freeviw hd is ok.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought Argos have a 30 day money back guarantee?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    The ad only lists six apps. Do you receive them?

What is the problem with the picture quality? Did you tell the store staff about this or has it only become an issue since they refused a refund?

(The 30 day guarantee only applies to unused items.)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2017 at 11:31PM
    Options
    jevy47 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Many thanks for your replies.

Argos no. is 528/8315. Sony KDL32WD751 BU model.

It does not state any specific apps but shows a few but not all, on the photo's.

Freeview picture quality is worse than my 8 year old Bush 24 inch tv.

Freeviw hd is ok.

So this 1

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5288315 ?

It does have a browser for internet use but why you would want to use a tv for that I dont know. No specific apps are listed other than a photo showing bbc sport, Netflix, Iplayer and 3 others.

The description is fine regarding the apps that are available, it doesnt list ITV hub or 4 od so you wont win on that arguement.
  • ThumbRemote
    Options
    The picture quality may look worse, as it's the same digital picture on a larger screen - so artefacts in the picture and blurred edges are going to be larger and more visible.

You say it doesn't have a browser, the description says it does. If not, then it's not as described.

Personally I would be annoyed to buy something advertised as having "smart features that bring the latest online apps to your living room", only to find it has just 6 apps.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2017 at 12:43PM
    Options
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/sony-kdl32wd751bu-32-inch-full-hd-smart-tv-black/125-4496.prd?source=others
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the specs, after selecting "show more", there are only five apps listed. Which is probably all there are. Not much help to you now though but Argos are a bit vague about these.
    Someone has commented about the lack of certain apps in the Argos reviews of this t.v.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2017 at 11:27AM
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »

Just buy yourself a suitable streaming device to get the apps you want eg a firestick. Did you buy the tv for the apps ? Not good if you did, should buy the tv for other important aspects eg size, picture quality.

I second this advice, it is probably easier just to get a streaming device like the now Tv smartbox (to use with an aerial) which is on offer at £20 with either 2 months cinema or 3 months entertainment viewing passes included to get a lot of the apps you want, plus you can pause live Tv. The problem often with smart Tvs is that they go out of date so quickly that it is usually cheaper and easier to just get an add on device.
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/now-tv-smart-box-with-3-months-entertainment-pass-or-2-months-cinema-pass-1999-now-tv-2830233
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I thought Argos have a 30 day money back guarantee?

They advertise a 30 day money back guarantee, but when you read the hidden away small print, it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure