We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Gardening Express

Options

Comments

• Smeg77
    Smeg77 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    A_BOUGHEY wrote: »
    this is the other post i was on about above if you're interested.

Just one thing that bothers me about this example, the order was placed 23.12.2008 and was the delivered 24.12.2008.

So during the busiest time of year, when most parcel delivery firms stop delivering, they tool and order and delivered it the day before a major bank holiday. Sounds dodgy to me.

I can't quote the original post as I'm a new user
  • leila1
    leila1 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    It looks like they are still going:
    http://www.theukhighstreet.com/Gardening-Express_R2997/
    and they have increased the bar for free delivery to £150 now.
  • spanner_man_3
    Options
    I would be very careful about calling people daylight robbers, or martin will probably kick you off this forum!

I placed an order with this company last weekend, and it has all arrived during the week in very good condition. I would not hesitate to use them again or recommend.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 October 2009 at 5:13AM
    Options
    I would be very careful about calling people daylight robbers, or martin will probably kick you off this forum!

I placed an order with this company last weekend, and it has all arrived during the week in very good condition. I would not hesitate to use them again or recommend.

Another newbie who turns up to defend these people....If you have had good service and are happy, fine, report that, but don't tell others what they can or cannot do.

This is an unmoderated forum, so Martin is certainly not going to kick anyone anywhere. If you have a problem with a post, simply press the abuse button.

As for Gardening Express, as someone who knows a bit about plants, I'd say much of their stuff looks unremarkable, or even expensive, so I can't see why many people would use them. Most towns have nurseries, garden centres and market stalls where you can see what you're getting.

I would also say that if you can buy direct from a real nursery you are likely to get a more honest and realistic description of what you can expect from a particular plant, without all the overblown language one finds on Internet sales sites. ;)
  • Woofles
    Woofles Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Options
    Woofles you need to get out of that house. You are going insane:eek: - colinw

apologises for spelling mistakes - google toolbar and I have had a hissy fit and I've lost me spell checker.
  • a11waysindebt
    Options
    For every bad story there has to be a good one.;) unfortunately we only here about the bad ones.

My father in law uses the company every year and so far has had no problems. I don't use them myself as I always try and grow my own and save myself the money.

I'm not sticking up for the company but thought I would give my opinion knowing someone that hasn't had a problem.
  • Davey2009
    Davey2009 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Can I suggest people have a look on eBay (Yes I do sell plants myself sometimes) buyers are really well protected with PayPal & the feedback system
    Theres only two rules to remember
    1) Im always right
    2) See rule 1
  • a11waysindebt
    Options
    I think this is where the true money saving comes in to it. Buy a couple of packets of seeds a bag of compost,some trays and there you go.

For around £10.00 and a little relaxing time, you can have your garden looking spectacular and the pleasure of knowing you done it all yourself.:j

I'm no garden expert :rolleyes: but my garden and my mums always gets noticed :D
  • spanner_man_3
    Options
    it is a shame that it looks like i have joined forums where people can not express their opinions for fear of attack from other users.

you can see i have posted on other boards about other stuff - so please do not have a go at me because you share a different opinion.

I believe the saying goes, those that get good service tell 2 people, those that get bad tell 200, so the vocal ones that have had a problem with a delivery from them (probably a couriers !!!!-up anyway) have told a lot of people, and online, it looks bad, where not many people sing about good service.

Please do not attack this posting if you disagree with my opinion. state your own opinion based on your own experience, but do not attack me if my opinion is different to yours.

thank you
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 October 2009 at 10:43AM
    Options
    it is a shame that it looks like i have joined forums where people can not express their opinions for fear of attack from other users.

you can see i have posted on other boards about other stuff - so please do not have a go at me because you share a different opinion.

I believe the saying goes, those that get good service tell 2 people, those that get bad tell 200, so the vocal ones that have had a problem with a delivery from them (probably a couriers !!!!-up anyway) have told a lot of people, and online, it looks bad, where not many people sing about good service.

Please do not attack this posting if you disagree with my opinion. state your own opinion based on your own experience, but do not attack me if my opinion is different to yours.

thank you

It was you, in your first post here, who intimated that another forum member might be 'kicked off the forum' for expressing an opinion.

Pot, kettle, black.

ETA. It also looks as if that 'other forum member' might be a plant from a rival company, as they've never posted before, or since. And £352 for a first order from a company you've not dealt with before? Hmm, lessons for all to learn here, I'd say!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback