Experian CreditExpert reclaiming article

Options

Comments

• St149
    St149 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Phoned up a couple of days ago and complained..they said they'll get someone to call me. Next day I had an email confirming they'd be putting £5 for each month back plus interest..hit my account the day after! Wasn't expecting this so its a nice little extra cash in my account this month. Cheers Martin and the MSE team..your tips are so helpful!!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Great news from everyone. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • aerofly
    aerofly Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been paying Experian since Dec2012, and sent the template letter a week ago. Really pleased to get a cheque yesterday for £114.00.
    Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention 👍
  • MoneySaver2014
    Options
    Great! I used the resolver service online (which I highly recommend) - I made a claim 2 days ago and have now just been informed I will be receiving £78 back! Wouldn't have been any the wiser had I not stumbled upon the article. Thanks!!
  • marlpits
    Options
    Made complaint a week ago, just had e-mail from Experian, not upholding my complaint but issuing a refund of £70 plus interest £8.17 to myself and £60 plus interest £6.98 to my wife.

Thanks for the Tip Martin
  • ducksoup
    Options
    Called on Wednesday. Guy on the phone very friendly and checked my account and saw that I had it for over a year.

Took my details and said they'd be in touch.

Got an email on Thursday with goodwill gesture of £88.

Refunded into my bank on Friday.
  • vbt
    vbt Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Having no joy with this at all. My husband and I both submitted claims - he was refunded his overpayments within 72 hours of first contacting them.

I contacted them on 29 June, got their acknowledgment on 30 June saying they'd be in touch within 5 working days unless they ran in to difficulties, but that it would not be more than 28 days in total.

Contacted them again on 27 July, 29 July and 3 August. Ended up escalating to the Ombudsman on 10 August, and got their acknowledgement on 12 August saying they'd respond to me within 2 weeks to let me know if they could help.

Really frustrating!
  • Uddersfeeled
    Options
    The amount of of financial recompense was small. I was only a member for 5 months in 2012 (after falling into the intended trap and forgetting to cancel after the trial period. When I realised the 'products' 'didn't offer that much to justify a recurring monthly subscription of £15 I cancelled my account.

When I read of this wheeze in MSE last week, it was outrage rather than £30 part-refund that made me lift the phone and call them. The person who answered was guarded his responses, and was practiced in replying to anything awkward by keeping silent. I received the same information that he said they had a 'team' of people working on this. Which in practice means issuing goodwill refunds.

It "wasn't possible" to be transferred to the team in question and complain directly. I expect they fear their switchboard would melt. He said he would note my concerns, and true to his word, I got an email 5 minutes later and it had been passed to 'the 'team'

An envelope arrived yesterday after only 6 days containing a cheque for £30.02 and a letter asserted that encashment of it "Will be deemed to have been accepted in full and final settlement of all and any claims that you have made about the identity fraud expenses insurance that we included in our CreditExpert product for customers joining between 12th January 2011 and 28th July 2014."

They also acknowledge that the payment sum can be rejected - and you will have 6 months from the date of the later to refer complaint to the FOS.

I'm just going to cash it as £30 worth of principle it's back in my account and not theirs.

Understandably, the letter makes makes no reference to Experian accepting any alleged liability. "It was sold clearly and fairly as we believed." The calculation of £30.02 had the 8% interest added on. Reading through previous postings it seems a far assumption that they have established a common precedent in making common refunds of the £5 +8% for each month subscribed.het didn't contest and the refund came through swiftly.

I think it will now be very difficult (beyond establishing a closing date to register a claim) for them start to make arbitrary decision to stop the season of 'goodwill'

My advice would be to phone directly (as soon as you know the number of £14.99 payments sent to Experian from your own bank records) and state firmly that you have checked your records and would like (not demand) a refund.

Whether or not the investigation defines their present goodwill into something less altruistic remains to be seen, but I hope the credit reference agencies cease trying to milk every drop of value from their prized cash-cow databases. Perhaps it will be consumers who turn away as more people question the worth. Funnily enough, I've just received an email notification from Experian as I type with the heading "There has been a change in your credit file!" So I take that back - there's still a way to go. What might be next...credit ratings for cats cats and dogs to aspire to??
  • hferi
    Options
    Hello,

opened a case with resolver and within 2 weeks I had a refund of £204! Not bad at all...

Thanks!
  • MakeAChange_2
    Options
    I did mine through resolver and i have just received £170 back, very pleased, on to the next reclaim ! thank you MSE ! ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback