Went into the back of a BMW, how do I deal with this?

Options

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Its a BMW driver, they'll undoubtedly be short on cash due to their finance deal and they may very well turn around and make this all very costly for you after they claim injuries for their entire family (whether they were in the car or not).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I'm sure the advice is to never admit liability either verbally or in writing at the scene of an accident as it could have later adverse insurance implications.

The OP had gone well beyond that point.

If he was going down that route is should have immediately gone via his insurer to sort out. He would then have had the opportunity to come up with a Jackanory as to why it wasn't his fault.

If I have a ding and it is my fault I will admit it at the scene and I expect other drivers to also do that. If they don't then the gloves are off.

(If fault is questionable then I would expect a grown up discussion about it).

This is what is wrong nowadays it is is nobody's fault :mad:
  • Bonfire_Bride
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Its a BMW driver, they'll undoubtedly be short on cash due to their finance deal and they may very well turn around and make this all very costly for you after they claim injuries for their entire family (whether they were in the car or not).

Tongue in cheek , I assume?

I know they don't know how to indicate but your comment is a little harsh :)
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »

Want salt and vinegar on that?

My two BMWs (car and bike) are not financed, and I'm not in any form of hardship. I know of at least two or three others just in my small group of colleagues who own theirs outright too.

(I'll concede that one of my BMWs is 12yo, but the other is only 4mo old, and I paid for it).
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    The OP had gone well beyond that point.

If he was going down that route is should have immediately gone via his insurer to sort out. He would then have had the opportunity to come up with a Jackanory as to why it wasn't his fault.

If I have a ding and it is my fault I will admit it at the scene and I expect other drivers to also do that. If they don't then the gloves are off.

(If fault is questionable then I would expect a grown up discussion about it).

This is what is wrong nowadays it is is nobody's fault :mad:

I am afraid you have got this wrong, your insurance policy states do not admit fault, even if you have just driven into the back of someone while drunk and texting/surfing the internet. All you need do is exchange details and be on your way, its always good to ask how they are and maybe apologise. Fault is not something the drivers of the incident need to do thats what insurance is for, as they will be paying at the end.

Not sure whats going to be achieved by removing your driving gloves though.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They should pass a law that says that insurance only needs to cover the cost of a bumper replacement, not colour matching it. Insurance premiums would go down for all of us.
    Colour matching the bumpers is such a huge waste of time and money for a part that is supposed to absorb damage.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    I am afraid you have got this wrong,

Well it fits better with my moral compass, personally I don't need to hide behind my insurer if I make a mistake.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    They should pass a law that says that insurance only needs to cover the cost of a bumper replacement, not colour matching it. Insurance premiums would go down for all of us.
    Colour matching the bumpers is such a huge waste of time and money for a part that is supposed to absorb damage.
    Don't be ridiculous. Surely as an innocent car owner you should be put back in the position you were before the accident, eg, having a car that looks as good as it was before, and not having mismatched paint.
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    gilbert_and_sullivan Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2016 at 6:41PM
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. Surely as an innocent car owner you should be put back in the position you were before the accident, eg, having a car that looks as good as it was before, and not having mismatched paint.

Don't think Stator was being serious.

dear Lord, apologies, he is serious.
    Landrover 110 Snatch in drab camo for everyone then
  • KingS6
    KingS6 Posts: 400 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2016 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Want salt and vinegar on that?

My two BMWs (car and bike) are not financed, and I'm not in any form of hardship. I know of at least two or three others just in my small group of colleagues who own theirs outright too.

(I'll concede that one of my BMWs is 12yo, but the other is only 4mo old, and I paid for it).

I think the comment was aimed at the fact the BMW is leased not owned. Not BMW owners in general.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure