crochet anyone ?

Options

Comments

• JabT_2
    JabT_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    My mum taught me and my sisters to crochet when we were about 8. We made some lovely clothes for our dolls. I crochet left handed from sitting opposite and watching! Still got a bunch of hooks buried in a wardrobe and keep threatening to have another go. Would have to watch a tutorial though.
    Anybody tried tatting? My nan started to show me, I can get started but that's about it. Maybe there's a tutorial on that.....
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I crochet too! Have been known to knit as well but crochet is so much quicker. I'm making a 3 ply baby shawl at the moment, although tennis elbow and the hydrocortisone injection I had in it yesterday is making life a bit difficult! I started when I was 8 years old with doll's clothes and small blankets, and by the time I was 10 I was on to the lovely cotton doileys - crochet cotton no 10 I think and a 1.25mm crochet hook. I have lots of patterns hidden away somewhere....must go and look for them!
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • lka200
    lka200 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    [quote=JabT;17507301.
    Anybody tried tatting? My nan started to show me, I can get started but that's about it. Maybe there's a tutorial on that.....[/quote]
    I have a tatting shuttle but havent really got to grips with it. I dont know anyone who can tat and have tried to teach myself from books, but havent really put much time into learning.
    Its another one of those things that you need to be shown how to hold the thread and move the shuttle. I think you can tat around curtain rings which is easier but i havent tried.
    #440 sealed pot challenge
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    yes I can do that too, but haven't done it for many, many years. You form the thread into a ring around your left hand, with one shuttle hanging down for tension and use the other with your right hand to create tiny knots around the thread. Then you tighten the thread to form the first circle of your pattern, and continue with the next. It is very time-consuming, and the projects you end up with are quite 'frilly'. Can be nice for an edge to a handkerchief, for example, but a fine crochet edge is soooooo much quicker! I still have my shuttles though, I might dig them out one day.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I crochet too! Well when I have time! And at the moment my passion seems to be collecting crochet hooks! I get some absolutely beauties from the US - there is a guy who does them out of wood and they are SO beautiful... I have a few already and I'm trying to win an auction for one at the moment LOL
    If I win I'll post the link to his site - don't want any more people bidding on it ;)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • nannaC
    nannaC Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, yes I crochet, knit and sew. Have just crocheted a tote bag, using granny squares, will line with some old linen.
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    MrsTine wrote: »
    I crochet too! Well when I have time! And at the moment my passion seems to be collecting crochet hooks! I get some absolutely beauties from the US - there is a guy who does them out of wood and they are SO beautiful... I have a few already and I'm trying to win an auction for one at the moment LOL
    If I win I'll post the link to his site - don't want any more people bidding on it ;)

This reminded me that I tried some bamboo crochet hooks last year and they weren't slippy enough. I wouldn't recommend them.

I got my hooks from Oxfam, of course. I think they were 50p.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Thanks Ika200, I don't know what the letters mean though, I'll have to see my mom I think! ;)
    DC - double crochet
    TC - treble crochet
    CH - chain

I taught myself crochet mainly from a "kit" from QD - think it was £1 for a dolls hat or something... taught me the principle then watched online tutorials and borrowed some books off the library :)

It is possible to learn without having someone teach you :)

Couple of bits I've made:
    DSCF0155.jpg
    Bigger than it looks!

handbag.jpg

Photo0008.jpg
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    one thing i have trouble with is swaping colours in a granny sq never seem to get the hang of it ! will keep watching the tutorials lol
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MrsTine wrote: »
    DC - double crochet
    TC - treble crochet
    CH - chain

I taught myself crochet mainly from a "kit" from QD - think it was £1 for a dolls hat or something... taught me the principle then watched online tutorials and borrowed some books off the library :)

It is possible to learn without having someone teach you :)

Couple of bits I've made:
    DSCF0155.jpg
    Bigger than it looks!

handbag.jpg

Photo0008.jpg

the lovely baby blanket on the bottom pic do u have a link for the pattern for that ? was it hard to do ?
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport