MSE News: How to beat Sky price hikes

Options

Comments

• japman
    japman Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Phoned earlier in May to try to reduce from paying £72+/month to something more manageable. Id got TalkTalk in my backpocket who i have broadband with and are offering decent sports and movie deals.

Spent 50 mins on the first call trying to be offered fibre and all other packages to get me across but it increased the price to £90+/month so gave up as i wasnt being listened to

Just tried again and managed to reduce my package as didnt need a large proportion of it. I did tell them what i was aiming at for a range of price/month and by getting rid of kids/music etc and then got a deal on sports & movies for 12m so reduced it by £20/month so well happy. Lots of chatting about stuff/friendly demeanour etc seemed to work in my case
  • ooky84
    ooky84 Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Called Sky this evening and chose the options to cancel my package (we have HD TV, Phone & Broadband) and it has recently gone up to £56.90. The man I spoke to was very friendly and thanked me for being a customer for the last 7 years. He asked why I was ringing today and I said the price was just getting too high per month and comparable services could be found for half the price. He asked which programmes I enjoyed and how we watched TV (recorded, live, box sets, etc.) and then said they could reduce our package by £18.50 per month for 10 months and our new 12 month contract would start now. Happy with a savings of £205 in total for the next year for an under 10 minute phone call! Thanks MSE!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. :rotfl:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 May 2015 at 1:19PM
    Options
    Some posts about savings made are not very helpful to people hoping to negotiate, as, though they state how much will be saved, they don't explain what the package is.

Obviously, £15 a month off a package like Original, Variety or Family is a much better deal than £15 off a full package.
  • claire07
    claire07 Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I feel rather disappointed but I just phoned up to give the 31 days notice to cancel Sky. We have a non HD box and are changing TV so would need a new HD Box.

We currently have Variety pack with Sports which is going up to £55 per month. The best I was offered was £50 with a new HD box so I said no and gave the notice.

Please reassure me I will get a better offer before they cut it off!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    claire07 wrote: »
    I feel rather disappointed but I just phoned up to give the 31 days notice to cancel Sky. We have a non HD box and are changing TV so would need a new HD Box.

We currently have Variety pack with Sports which is going up to £55 per month. The best I was offered was £50 with a new HD box so I said no and gave the notice.

Please reassure me I will get a better offer before they cut it off!

Not everyone gets offers, even after cut off.

I got no phone offers and My Sky said that no offers could be made online, but may be if I called. This was in the notice period and after cut off.

Others have mentioned the 'no offers' post on their My Sky, too.
  • k9forces
    k9forces Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 May 2015 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Followed MSE advice...rang sky...through to cancellations and asked when my contract was up...told them Virgin keep sending me better and better offers...the result was my bill coming down from £94 pm ( when the price rise kicks in) to £66 pm for 12 months!!! ( and that price includes the £4.50 price rise!! )...saving me £336 over the 12 months....get in there!!!...thankyou MSE !!!!:j:j

**** note """" my package consists of Sky family - all Sky Sports - 1 x Sky Multi-room - HD pack - Broadband (not fibre) - anytime calls - line rental - Sky Go extra
  • Kenny18
    Kenny18 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was paying £40.50 pm for u/l broadband & variety TV pack with a basic sky box. Phoned "Cancellations" & said I wanted to cancel Sky TV but keep broadband as I only watch Freeview channels.At that stage I was determined to go ahead & buy a freeview set top box. Ended up keeping Sky package (B/B & TV) as they offered £27.50 pm with a free Sky+ HD box to replace my basic box - all on a 12 month contract. Have now diarised for 1 years time to take same action.
  • Duntrodden
    Options
    Well, on the basis that the lovely lassie at Sky doesn't know me, I pulled out all the stops and have just saved myself £125! Happy days!!
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 May 2015 at 5:06PM
    Options
    I telephoned Sky to see if they could help. I ended up with a saving of £15 a month. Really pleased with the result. We have variety package, HD pack and twin room package. We now pay£37 a month
  • marvellousaunt
    Options
    ooky84 wrote: »
    Called Sky this evening and chose the options to cancel my package (we have HD TV, Phone & Broadband) and it has recently gone up to £56.90. The man I spoke to was very friendly and thanked me for being a customer for the last 7 years. He asked why I was ringing today and I said the price was just getting too high per month and comparable services could be found for half the price. He asked which programmes I enjoyed and how we watched TV (recorded, live, box sets, etc.) and then said they could reduce our package by £18.50 per month for 10 months and our new 12 month contract would start now. Happy with a savings of £205 in total for the next year for an under 10 minute phone call! Thanks MSE!

I had almost the same result for almost the same package! Sky Family with HD, phone and unlimited broadband is now something like £60pcm after increases.

Sky customer for over 3 years, thanked for loyalty and given the quick survey about what we watch. Having compared the packages online I didn't think we would be able to downgrade from Family to anything else as we use On Demand, box sets etc so I couldn't save money that way.

Straight away she came back with an £18.50ish decrease per month - down from almost £60 after the price rises to £47.50ish which like you say for a 10 minute phone call and simply saying 'It's getting expensive, what would I need to do to cancel?' that's very pleasing.

Like others, a new 12 month contract but I don't really want to leave Sky so that's fine by me. It was their first offer and I did accept it without pushing them to get more, but I'm happy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure