Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been a Sky customer for 16 years and have a Variety + HD package at £44 per month
    I asked for a good discount - or I would convert to freeview
    I was offered a £4.80 per month discount - with, wait for it - a £10 one off charge for "re-contracting"
    What would you do ?
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I have been a Sky customer for 16 years and have a Variety + HD package at £44 per month
    I asked for a good discount - or I would convert to freeview
    I was offered a £4.80 per month discount - with, wait for it - a £10 one off charge for "re-contracting"
    What would you do ?
    You need to cancel, not ask for a discount, just insist that you are giving your 31 day notice.
    Once this applied you will get a minimum 50% discount via the website.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    You need to cancel, not ask for a discount, just insist that you are giving your 31 day notice.
    Once this applied you will get a minimum 50% discount via the website.

I did this and managed to get 40% discount for 18 months - with the £10 charge for re-contracting - this charge appears to be fixed with no discount - it has appeared "overnight" - anyone else annoyed at this extra charge ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I did this and managed to get 40% discount for 18 months - with the £10 charge for re-contracting - this charge appears to be fixed with no discount - it has appeared "overnight" - anyone else annoyed at this extra charge ?

A bit late for yourself now but you really should have held out for 60%, especially if agreeing an 18 month contract. Plenty of people have had the £10 'admin fee' waived, it's certainly not 'fixed'.

Keep your eye out for the inevitable mid contract price rise and renegotiate.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    A bit late for yourself now but you really should have held out for 60%, especially if agreeing an 18 month contract. Plenty of people have had the £10 'admin fee' waived, it's certainly not 'fixed'.

Keep your eye out for the inevitable mid contract price rise and renegotiate.

Sky has also changed its T&C - Allowing it to increase its annual charges by 10% or RPI (whichever is greater) annually - this implies that a 10% increase is planned FOR ALL .....
  • o1nk
    o1nk Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Woes and more woes

I have always haggled with Sky, to such an extent that I got Sky Q installed about 6 weeks ago .... on a great deal (roughly 60% off)
    When it was installed it would constantly stick on BBC1, turn itself off and download it's own programmes that it 'thinks' I would like.
    Upon updating the firmware, the Sky Q box seems to have settled down a bit better. But it still downloads programmes that I don't agree with.
    Now call me a bit childish, but when you have 3 kids destroying your 30Mb internet from the moment they come home till their head hits the pillow, I don't have any to spare for Sky 'taping' programmes and my kids wreaking havoc in my ears that the internet has slowed alarmingly.

I find the 18 million menus more confusing (I don't need pictures ... I can read) and if you press the SELECT button unwittingly, it begins to download that program from the start. Cue the kids bursting into the room and big buffer circles where their heads should be.

Now my main gripe with Sky Q is that it is in stages. I have the 1TB box and when I enquired about the options for 4K, I was told I would need a 2TB box. Kidding, right? No.

All-in-all, if I am not happy with Sky Q (6 weeks in) what can I do. The bloody thing infuriates me, when Sky HD was so simple to use. And it DID what I told it to do.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    o1nk wrote: »
    Woes and more woes

I have always haggled with Sky, to such an extent that I got Sky Q installed about 6 weeks ago .... on a great deal (roughly 60% off)
    When it was installed it would constantly stick on BBC1, turn itself off and download it's own programmes that it 'thinks' I would like.
    Upon updating the firmware, the Sky Q box seems to have settled down a bit better. But it still downloads programmes that I don't agree with.
    Now call me a bit childish, but when you have 3 kids destroying your 30Mb internet from the moment they come home till their head hits the pillow, I don't have any to spare for Sky 'taping' programmes and my kids wreaking havoc in my ears that the internet has slowed alarmingly.

I find the 18 million menus more confusing (I don't need pictures ... I can read) and if you press the SELECT button unwittingly, it begins to download that program from the start. Cue the kids bursting into the room and big buffer circles where their heads should be.

Now my main gripe with Sky Q is that it is in stages. I have the 1TB box and when I enquired about the options for 4K, I was told I would need a 2TB box. Kidding, right? No.

All-in-all, if I am not happy with Sky Q (6 weeks in) what can I do. The bloody thing infuriates me, when Sky HD was so simple to use. And it DID what I told it to do.
    I assume that you have reported this fault to Sky ?
    What are they doing about it ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Since our BB is only 15MB you've just put me off Sky Q :(
  • info_addict
    info_addict Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Currently on a unlimited broadband package deal which ends August 10th. The prices are - free broadband and £7.40 discount on line rental + £8 Anytime Calls = £19.59 per month.

Rang three times last week telling them I was going to leave due to the impending increase of £10 broadband, £18.99 line rental and £8 call package = £36.99 per month. The best offer I received was free broadband and after a lot of negotiation a £20 credit. I told them this wasn't good enough to keep me and I would switch providers. This I implemented on 18th July.

Received a text from Sky yesterday saying sorry to loose you and if I wanted any info on charges etc I should call them, which I did. When asked why I was leaving, I told them because of cost (quite happy to stay with Sky). They then offered me a great deal of £10 broadband, free line rental and £8 Anytime Calls = £18.00 per month for a new 12 month contract. I accepted and cancelled my new provider.

Just goes to show that the best deals are only available after you actually start to leave them and not before.
  • simbaj
    Options
    Spent a long time with a "sky expert" chat advisor just now. I was paying nearly £100 a month for all singing and dancing TV product. Managed to secure exactly the same service for 50% discount + I managed to get two sky Mobile SIM only deals for £5 each (usually £10) - this gives 1gb data and unlimited calls/texts. This will also save me £10 based on the current PAYG deals I am on for EE (with less data/calls/texts).

So all in all an approx £720 saving over the year (though I did have to pay the £10 chat advisor commission (sorry admin fee) :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback