Can't get past welcome/log in screen (boot up) - windows

Options

Comments

• movinghelp
    Options
    Unfortunately I pressed ESC and now can't get that screen back. Feel like a complete idiot.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    movinghelp wrote: »
    Unfortunately I pressed ESC and now can't get that screen back. Feel like a complete idiot.

Wrong thread, yours is this way:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5534550
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • catoutthebag
    catoutthebag Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Options
    So I downloaded the iso file into the USB which I plugged into the laptop before shift restarting to get my options up.

First I think it said it couldn't detect an image file

Then I wasn't able to locate it.

It's annoying when you can't use the mouse pad at this stage and havs to use arrows which can't seem to do what you want.

So my question is, shouldi have RUN or installed the file first on my USB in order for it to 'detect' it?

If so, I'll try that

If not, ivd lost my tether on a second laptop so need to search for anorher one for £150-200
    (Recommendations please) and then quickly get a HDD caddy (and software) to try bloody salvage what I can
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    What is the full model number of this laptop?

Either way, likely you can just swap the HDD and pop it into a caddy. No need for 'software'.
    Pop a new SSD, costing around £35 within and install Windows 10 to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OowstDvLDFY

Should take ten minutes to swap drives and less than five to put the old HDD into a caddy.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Windows 10 English International 32 bit

Windows 10 English International 64 bit

No need to download either of these if you have already downloaded and saved an image earlier.

If you are not sure if you have created bootable USB Flash media correctly, you can use Rufus to create it for you.

You'll know if you have by plugging the finished drive into another PC and AutoRun opens offering options to install. If not;

Download and save Rufus. Plug USB drive in. Run Rufus.

Place ticks as shown here:

rufus_en.png

Choose ISO Image from the drop down list and then click on the icon to the right and navigate to where you saved the image and double click on the image to insert. Then you can click on the Start button.

Of course you don't need to do this if you have already successfully created bootable USB Flash media.
  • catoutthebag
    Options
    Thanks.

I don't know if I created a 'bootable usb'. I simply downloaded win 10 iso into a USB and plugged it in. Do I need to click on that file BEFORE on another computer to make it ready or 'bootable?

Think I have a spare caddy, I guess if ^ doesn't work I'll have to remove the HDD and plug it to another computer to salvage. I've got a few GB of music that I only transferred not long ago...a lot was downloaded from Amazon music from my android phone is it possible to redownload every mp3 I purchased
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Thanks.

I don't know if I created a 'bootable usb'. I simply downloaded win 10 iso into a USB and plugged it in. Do I need to click on that file BEFORE on another computer to make it ready or 'bootable?

Think I have a spare caddy, I guess if ^ doesn't work I'll have to remove the HDD and plug it to another computer to salvage. I've got a few GB of music that I only transferred not long ago...a lot was downloaded from Amazon music from my android phone is it possible to redownload every mp3 I purchased

That won't make it bootable. The Windows 10 Download Tool should have given you the option to create bootable installation media.

The laptop itself is likely fine. Full model number?
  • catoutthebag
    Options
    acer aspire e13 es1-311

I simply downloaded an win 10 iso file.

Can you specify the exact 'bootable file link I should download please? Obviously I've made an error doing this

I do hope I'm ok ;-(
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    acer aspire e13 es1-311

I simply downloaded an win 10 iso file.

Can you specify the exact 'bootable file link I should download please? Obviously I've made an error doing this

I do hope I'm ok ;-(

Full model number will look something like this: Acer Aspire E13 ES1-311-P87D

Downloaded it from whence? If the Windows 10 Download Tool, it should be fine. You can use Rufus with that or download the 64 bit image from my link and then use Rufus with that.
    Have you ordered the new SSD?
    Current prices around £40 for 120GB, £60 for 240GB. A little cheaper for unknown Chinese brands.
    Should have the positive side effect of improving the performance of the machine considerably.

You could possibly repair the current HDD installation, but this way ensures that you don't make any mistakes with your data.
  • catoutthebag
    Options
    I haven't ordered an ssd. Do you mean order an ssd irrespective of if I get the HDD working? My HDD is 1tb but barely filled as I have other stuff on externals, but still have important data on my HDD that i didn't back up

I'll try Rufus to create the USB in the next couple days. I have an 8gb USB I think. I'll do this on my parents compute r

Full model is es1 311 c4qs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport