Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • movinghelp
    • By movinghelp 2nd Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 244Posts
    • 47Thanks
    movinghelp
    Hacker warning now laptop just displays Lenovo logo on start up
    • 2nd Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    Hacker warning now laptop just displays Lenovo logo on start up 2nd Oct 16 at 11:32 AM
    Hoping someone can help. I have a Lenovo b50-30 model name 80ES. My OH tried to stream something and we got a warning that we were at risk of being hacked.

Never had this before, a woman's voice came out the speakers and in a panic the OH forced a shut down by holding the off button and took out the battery.

Now when you try and turn it on you just get a Lenovo logo and nothing else happens. Anything I can do?
Page 1
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 2nd Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 2nd Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    It also could be that you have corrupted the HDD in a blind panic trying to shut it down improperly when all you received was a scareware popup from your browser.

Is this running windows 8 or have you upgraded to windows 10 ?
    Last edited by Fightsback; 02-10-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • movinghelp
    • By movinghelp 2nd Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    movinghelp
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    Yes I don't think turning it off was the best idea but sadly it's happened now. It's Windows 10.
    Last edited by movinghelp; 02-10-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 2nd Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    See here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5533349&highlight=iso
    • movinghelp
    • By movinghelp 2nd Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    movinghelp
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    So press shift and F8? Doesn't work. I can't get it to the login page at all.
    Last edited by movinghelp; 02-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 2nd Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 2nd Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    So press shift and F8? Doesn't work. I can't get it to the login page at all.
    Originally posted by movinghelp
    Read this post otherwise it will default to W8:

Download the w10 iso and try a reset from that, choose the keep everything. However you might have HDD corruption and this might not be successful in restoring your existing files.

A comprehensive guide can be found here:

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9681/7-ways-repair-or-factory-reset-windows-10
    Originally posted by Fightsback
    • outofworksch
    • By outofworksch 2nd Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    outofworksch
    • 2nd Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    On my old Lenovo, I used to restore it using the inbuilt recovery option,are you able to use that? You may lose your data and need the reinstall other programs but at least have a working machine. See here

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht036037
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 2nd Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 2nd Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    On my old Lenovo, I used to restore it using the inbuilt recovery option,are you able to use that? You may lose your data and need the reinstall other programs but at least have a working machine. See here

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht036037
    Originally posted by outofworksch
    The machine comes with W8, they have upgraded to W10. Restoring from the recovery partition will put W8 back on, the method I linked to will do W10.

Given how W10 is now licensed and downloadable, from a personal perspective I see little incentive to even have a recovery partition wasting space, this is especially true of el cheapo 32gb SSD machines where free drive space is at a premium.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 2nd Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,155 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 2nd Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    Doing an emergency shutdown shouldn't (usually) cause major disk damage...and so (from above link) "Repair your computer" is a good place to start (from install or recovery media) IE Startup Repair. But looks like the OP is out today...
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • movinghelp
    • By movinghelp 2nd Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    movinghelp
    Thanks all, I'm in Australia hence the time difference. Really not sure if it's Windows 8 or 10. I've read the links today but don't think any will work because I can't even get to a settings screen, I've tried the Lenovo recovery by pressing F11 but literally nothing happens. It's just the Lenovo screen.
    Last edited by movinghelp; 02-10-2016 at 9:58 PM.
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 2nd Oct 16, 10:52 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    jshm2
    It may be your HDD actually HAS a fault - nothing to do with the message though.

If you are seeing the logo but getting no beeps then it means the HDD has died. Or been corrupted to the extent that it cannot be read.

Maybe take the drive out and test it in a caddy.
    • bluesnake
    • By bluesnake 3rd Oct 16, 12:14 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    bluesnake
    What I would do is boot off live usb stick with Linux mint on it. copy off all my wanted files off, check the drive is working, install a/v on mint, update the virus pattern, and use it to scan my hard disk.. You can also do a disk check too
    • bsod
    • By bsod 3rd Oct 16, 12:19 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    bsod
    holding the off button and took out the battery.
    held down for how long, with power lead in or out, clean shutdown, hybrid, suspend, hibernate, or off

press (and continue to press) the power button until the machine switches off

press the novo button on the left hand side to get to the bios/boot/recovery menu

otherwise switch on with a usb flash drive inserted, bootable one if possible
    Last edited by bsod; 03-10-2016 at 12:50 AM.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 3rd Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    • 6,475 Posts
    • 2,741 Thanks
    buglawton
    Try taking battery out again, this time for longer. Also is it possible that the LAN socket got damaged by plugging the wrong thing into it?
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • movinghelp
    • By movinghelp 3rd Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    movinghelp
    I'm sorry, sure I'm being an idiot but I don't understand some of the advice. I can't see a lenovo button on the left? I have no idea what a caddy or a linux mint is. Can try and get these things but as I'm in Aus I'm not sure where to go.

I don't think it was plugged in but could have been. The battery was taken out for a week. The button was held down till it the laptop switched off then when we tried to turn it on a few minutes later we just got the screen with the logo.
    Last edited by movinghelp; 03-10-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 3rd Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    AndyPix
    just so you know, the message you heard was a specially crafted webpage using javascript to make it difficult to close down.
    It is unreletaded to the issue you face now aside from the fact that it made you hard close your machine , which did cause the issue you now face.

What is being suggested above, is for you to remove the battery, and the power cord, and then hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds.
    This will drain any residual voltage from the capacitors in the machine.

Try and boot after you have done that -see what happens.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 3rd Oct 16, 11:10 AM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Fightsback
    I'm sorry, sure I'm being an idiot but I don't understand some of the advice. I can't see a lenovo button on the left? I have no idea what a caddy or a linux mint is. Can try and get these things but as I'm in Aus I'm not sure where to go.

I don't think it was plugged in but could have been. The battery was taken out for a week. The button was held down till it the laptop switched off then when we tried to turn it on a few minutes later we just got the screen with the logo.
    The simplest way forward is get yourself a USB stick (8GB or greater) and try to repair the install as indicated earlier, specifically options 2 & 3

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9681/7-ways-repair-or-factory-reset-windows-10

Do you have access to another computer where you can download the WIN 10 iso and create a bootable USB drive ?
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 3rd Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    poppellerant
    It could be that your harddrive has failed or maybe has physical defects (bad sectors). But I suspect that the sudden power down has corrupted it.

If the harddrive has completely failed, then you probably won't be able to recover your data without the use of a data recovery company However, if the harddrive has physical defects, a diagnostic tool might be able to mark these bad sectors as unusable and you may be able to recover some of your data. If the harddrive has simply become corrupted, you may have some corrupt files but the likelihood of data and OS recovery is higher than the previous situations.

I recommend that you follow Lenovo's own advice, here:- Machine hangs at Lenovo Logo when it turns on. As you follow the steps, you are eventually led to diagnostic tools that can diagnose your hardware and harddrive. You will need access to a Windows computer and a blank CD or spare USB stick.
    • movinghelp
    • By movinghelp 9th Oct 16, 12:15 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    movinghelp
    Thank you, unfortunately I've tried pressing f1 rapidly but still nothing happens.
    • bsod
    • By bsod 9th Oct 16, 2:57 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    bsod
    https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/b40_b50_ug_en.pdf

if it applies to your machine, see pages 16 (10) right side view, 29-30,32 (23-24,26) one key recovery, 36-37(30-31)
    Last edited by bsod; 09-10-2016 at 3:07 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

4,252Users online

Martin's Twitter