Went into the back of a BMW, how do I deal with this?

Options
Rammed into the back of a BMW on lease. I stopped gave him my phone number and name and said I wanted to pay for any damage privately after knowing the price. Looking at his bumper despite the big bump I couldn't see any damage. Possible one small nick round circular thing less than 1cm in diameter and quarter of mm deep but virtually nothing. The driver was amazed too.

I apologised and he wanted me to sign that I had gone into the back of his car and it was my fault which I declined and just gave him my details. He is taking it next Monday into the BMW place to get looked at and touched up. He said as it's lease it had to be just like how it was when he got it.

Am I doing the right thing in offering to pay? Looking at the damage it should cost about £20 to me but I have no idea what they will say or do! If he calls back next week and says it's £150 I decided to pay it if it's £1000 (for some crazy reason) should I go through insurance?

And is going into the back of someone always your fault?

Comments

• Fat_Walt
    Options
    Rammed into the back of a BMW on lease. I stopped gave him my phone number and name and said I wanted to pay for any damage privately after knowing the price. Looking at his bumper despite the big bump I couldn't see any damage. Possible one small nick round circular thing less than 1cm in diameter and quarter of mm deep but virtually nothing. The driver was amazed too.

I apologised and he wanted me to sign that I had gone into the back of his car and it was my fault which I declined and just gave him my details. He is taking it next Monday into the BMW place to get looked at and touched up. He said as it's lease it had to be just like how it was when he got it.

Am I doing the right thing in offering to pay? Looking at the damage it should cost about £20 to me but I have no idea what they will say or do! If he calls back next week and says it's £150 I decided to pay it if it's £1000 (for some crazy reason) should I go through insurance?

And is going into the back of someone always your fault?

In the case I'd say yes, unless for some reason you think your not at fault?

It may well cost a grand when the cars inspected.

Why not take some advice from your insurance company. Or did they give you that when you informed them of the accident?
  • straighttalker
    Options
    What do you expect the £20 to cover?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wish I lived near you as I'd give you loads of these "£20 to fix it" jobs.

Nobody's going to fix much for £150.

These bumpers are meant to absorb the impact - which is what it's done - but what damage lies behind no-one knows for sure until it has been inspected by professionals.

You might be lucky to get any change from £1000

Let your insurance deal with it.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It will be nearer £1000 than £20.
    "Modern" cars are designed so as to absorb small impacts by sacrificing part of the bodywork. At the very least there will be some impact absorber beneath the bumper that needs replacing, and you won't believe BMW prices unless you run one.

Get ready to inform your insurer on Monday, and think of a good reason why you have left it so late, as your policy requires you to inform them as soon as possible about any and all incidents, so that they can increase your renewal price. (Which is presumably why you and the other driver would prefer to sort it without telling them- which is actually Very Naughty)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • ---lee---
    Options
    The last repair to my 5 series was a small scuff to the back bumper. It was £2.5k as they had to respray upto the rear doors to get the colour match. The guy who hit it thought it would be a couple of hundred at most.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Am I doing the right thing in offering to pay? Looking at the damage it should cost about £20 to me

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agreed, prepare for a shock, rear ended in my Mazda, few scratches bloke said, offered to pay......£1800.......he wasn't so keen, went via insurance.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Bit of a rub with G3 should take out the scratch.

Probably will be a grand though. What a waste of money that could be put to something useful instead. People are too precious about their cars and the cars break too easily these days.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Bit of a rub with G3 should take out the scratch.

Probably will be a grand though. What a waste of money that could be put to something useful instead. People are too precious about their cars and the cars break too easily these days.

Except in this case it's a lease car and if the guy doesn't get it fixed,when it goes back under the lease agreement he will be hit with a damage payment.
    Something like £300 per panel as I understand it.

The BMW driver doesn't have to take it to the main dealer,he can go to any bodyshop,an Indie should be a lot cheaper
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    ... doesn't have to take it to the main dealer,he can go to any bodyshop,an Indie should be a lot cheaper
    But it's the BMW drivers choice where he goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure