Frump to Fab 2016 - Lets make it AWESOME!!!

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maman just after posting yesterday I went into Sainsbobs and bought a white ribbed 4 place set and a bold floral 4 place set, both porcelain! Happily DH is very happy with my executive decision :p

Just pottering in my "hobby room" (really the box room with a table & shelves for all my stuff!) and writing my "presents to make" list listening to Johnny Walker :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    floss pleased you managed to get your crockery. I really like Sainsbobs for housewares. It's not somewhere I'd think to look, but when I do, they have nice stuff.

As you can tell, I'm slightly obsessed with homewares at the moment. Over the past few months, I've bought new bedding for DD, crockery, a bin, drinking glasses, sofas, curtain pole, nets and curtains. It probably doesn't seem a lot, but we've barely bought anything since having the children.

We went bed shopping this weekend. We've seen a bed we like, but haven't bought it yet, as we need to think about logistics, e.g. decorating before they arrive. MIL donated us her old bed, so it's really old so a new bed is overdue.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

My cold is almost gone, thank goodness, it was slowing me down. :)

I went to the pub last night for a DJ night of dancing. I ran into Wayne on the pavement outside the pub! :p

I was wearing a sleeveless cerise pink, v neck Kaleidoscope polyester jersey dress. I wore my black patent Van Dal sling back shoes, my black leather long jacket and my black leather gloves. I layered my perfume with body lotion and body powder. No make up or nail polish. I was carrying my patent leather Osprey handbag.

I must admit that I would not have had a good night out if Wayne had not stuck by my side most of the night. He is still hoping that I will eventually forgive him and resume our previous relationship, but I am still angry at the careless and thoughtless way he treated me on our last date. I was raised as a Christian and have always considered myself a Christian, but the hardest thing to do well is to 'turn the other cheek' and to 'forgive those who trespass against us'. It was a really loving feeling dancing with Wayne, but it did not make me want to start dating him again, it just reminded me of how good it felt to be in his arms and just what a great sex life I had with him. Great sex is not the be all and the end all of a relationship and it does not make me want to forgive Wayne. How he behaved on our last date was the final straw. How can a middle aged man be so immature? He is still talking about us getting engaged! Then he wonders why I will not answer him, except to tell him he must have gone crazy. He still misses me every day, still checks his phone every day to see if I have called or sent him a text, even though I have told him so many times, that I deleted his number. I feel uncomfortable if I lose my temper because I hate losing control of my emotions because of someone else's negative behaviour towards me. I ultimately have to do what is best not only for me, but for my children as well, so I will be single for a while. I am old enough to know what I want from a relationship and how I deserve to be treated and I am not willing to settle for less.

I will just have to wait and see if Wayne ever acknowledges just how appallingly he behaved, but let's just say I will not be holding my breath. :o

I will continue to enjoy life as an independent, single mature woman. :D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Good news....have now lost a total of two pounds and two inches off my waist. It's the waist measurements that matter the most because that means I will be reducing visceral fat which is so bad for diabetes.

Am eating well and no carb cravings. No doing so well with exercise. Been to Physio today she said my shoulders are very stiff - Thats what's adding to the neck pain and headaches. People keep telling me whiplash can take several months so I'll just have to be patient.

No news on bungalow, the vendor is keeping it open hoping for a higher offer. I've decided to carry on looking and am viewing a townhouse on Thursday.

I have now got DS2s car so I can start getting out and about again. I'm not driving long distances because I'm still in quite a bit of pain but at least I can manage short hops now. I was starting to get a bit stir crazy.

Nice dry day but quite chilly. Going to do a nit of domestic godessing this afternoon but first a late breakfast and then a rest.

DS2 deals up to Jon for a little autum break so hoping to do a few bits round the house and put the garden to bed for the winter, tidy up the sheds etc.

I think I'll take your lead MAman and have a bit of wardrobe sort out, put the summer stuff away and I will have a bit of a cull whilst I am at it.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    LL & Maman, I had a cull and a sort yesterday - I have finally accepted that the majority of whites don't suit me, and have consigned the hot-climate stuff to the CS. Not that we frequent hot climates often, the last time was 2011 for our honeymoon!

I also picked up a lovely silver pleated skirt half price in Sainsbobs, that will look fab with black boots & a black top :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Carmen
    Carmen Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Sugar, I'm sure Wayne will get the message eventually, if he is that 'fond' of you he might realise that friends without benefit would be better than lose your friendship all together.

Chanie, floss, I love mooching about in Sainsbobs home and wear section, the quality and prices are quite good also.

Twinnie, good luck with the townhouse.

Lots of clearing up in the gargen has accumulated in a huge pile of rubbish! I think this weekend will be the ideal time for a bonfire as there is lots of rain forcast next week :(

It has been quite cold today so, the log burner is alight for the first time since Spring! I was hoping for a mild winter :rotfl:

Carmen xx
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I am enjoying being at home in the warm, watching recorded TV programmes. :D

I did not want to be unkind to Wayne, but he has forced my hand. I will not be talking to him or dancing with him when I run into him in future. I will never be rid of him if I do not cut him off completely. Me being friendly has only made him believe I will eventually change my mind and resume our relationship.

Found out we finish work on Thursday not Friday. I am so happy to have another day off work. I will have to decide what fun thing to do on Friday. :j

I do not have summer clothes and clothes for colder weather. I simply layer my clothes in cold weather.

LL you are doing so well at not eating carbs, but I must admit I am not willing to give them up, even though both of my parents were diabetic. My Doctor regularly tests my blood for sugar and only once over the last few years was there sugar in my blood. I am all too aware of the risks, but I need to enjoy what I eat. I do like vegetables and fresh fruit, but I try to eat more vegetables than fruit to get my 5 a day. :)

I am slowly losing weight, but at least I am not stagnant or gaining weight. I really want to be more toned and be small enough in size to wear all of my rather vast wardrobe of clothes. Far too much of the clothes I own do not fit me. Tight clothing is not only uncomfortable, it is not flattering, so I have to make the effort to continue to lose weight and not just for health reasons.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a shame when you enjoy dancing with him sugarbaby but if Wayne can't get the message that it stops there then you'll have to be tough.

Is it this skirt floss?
    https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Grey-Pleated-Full-Skirt/130289615-Grey?searchTerm=:newArrivals&searchProduct=

I've got a few pleated skirts. One is long and silky and I'm going to experiment with wearing it with a woolly jumper for a different look. It's a bit dressy for everyday wear but I think it'll look good for perhaps going out for lunch. Not quite woolly jumper weather yet though. We're still having bright, autumn days.

White's not a good colour on me either. Most of what I have are vests or tee shirts that I only wear after I've had my sunshine holiday. Once my tan fades they look dreadful.

chanie wrote: »
    We went bed shopping this weekend. We've seen a bed we like, but haven't bought it yet, as we need to think about logistics, e.g. decorating before they arrive. MIL donated us her old bed, so it's really old so a new bed is overdue.

We're planning to redecorate the bedroom too and I was wondering whether to go the whole hog and get a new bed. At the moment we have one with drawers underneath and I have one of those valances to cover the base bit. I don't like it as it's a bit too frilly for my tastes. Any ideas? Does everyone else cover the base up? DH fancies, at least, a new headboard and I fancy one of those tallish upholstered ones a bit like this:
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/aspire-furniture-derwent-headboard-in-malham-weave-fabric-sand/137-2772.prd?skuId=337-6576

That one looks as if I could recover it easily if I changed the colour scheme. We're definitely having a new carpet and I've got one new set of bedding. At the moment we have the wall behind the bed papered and I might still go for that (something else to choose) as otherwise the room will be very pale and neutral. Forgive me thinking aloud but it's very much at the planning stage.

I'm out for dinner with friends tonight. I'm looking forward to it as they're back in the area for a few days having moved away. It's a country pub so not too dressy. I've decided on straight black trousers, my new red fine knit jumper and ballet flats. I'll wear my black padded biker style jacket. I thought of wearing my velvet one but maybe a bit dressy for a pub.

Back soon.:)
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman and floss I like those pleated skirts and I bet they look amazing when you wear them, but they don't suit me. As an inverted triangle body shape, I'm supposed to suit more structured clothing. Lo and behold, when I tried on a pleated skirt, it looked terrible on me. I'll be sticking to a line skirts.

maman the bed we are ordering is a divan base with 4 drawers. The drawers on divan bases are normally quite flimsy so we are going to use them for towels, jumpers and my handbags as they are lightweight. The bed we have chosen is similar to the headboard in your link, but we've gone for a dark grey one. Beige would look better, but felt a darker colour would be more practical with young children.
    In answer to your question, we aren't planning on covering the divan. A quick Google only came up with valence sheets and I'm not really keen on them - I remember them from my childhood. Running enough, I don't really see them in shops anymore, so I guess they aren't fashionable at the moment.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 October 2016 at 8:28AM
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies

Bed valances.......I don't like the frilly ones either. I have one that is very plain that just has a simple inverted pleat at each corner. I got it from Dunhelm but I just had a quick Google and I see that Amazon has quite a choice.

You can actually make them - for example if you wanted to match curtains. To keep costs down I have made them with a plain bit of lining that covers the actual bed area, then made the skirt bit in the more expensive fabric to cover the base bit.

Costco were selling them one year, so I just copied their idea. Not difficult but a bit time consuming.

You can also get suede effect stretchy ones that just pull down over the base. I've only seen pictures but they might work. Not sure how they would pull down over drawers though.

Apparently it's bad Feng Shuey to store stuff under the bed - but I must admit I am still quite limited with storage space so for the time being I do like the under bed drawers. I keep thinking I might buy a new bed. I have come down from a king size to a standard double but still feel a bit "lost" but don't fancy a single. I was thinking about a small 4ft double but as my bed is perfectly OK and very comfortable it seems like a waste of money.

I like those tall headboards - very chic boutique hotel and yes I would think recovering them in the colour of your choice would be quite simple - especially if you can borrow a second pair of hands so that one of you pulls the fabric tight whilst the other one staples it down.

There are lots of on line tutorials for a simple upholstery job or if you wanted to ring the changes then you could make a slip cover.

DS2 has been off for a few days so we have been busy getting organised. He pulled out all the furniture downstairs to clean behind so it was a good opportunity for me to sort out the bookcases etc and have a bit of a cull. Looks a lot less cluttered now.

Today he will be fitting some boards In the loft so we can store some stuff up there so I might do a bit of a bedroom sort out today and cull some of my unloved clothes. I need to buy some of those vacuum bags and then I can put the out of season things in the loft and gain some extra bedroom space.

Although I am keen to embrace a minimalist lifestyle I don't really want to part with my favourite clothes. :rotfl:

SUgarbaby - I also have a lot of clothes that are still a bit tight but I won't be parting with them because I really like them. However, I still have some bits that don't really flatter me so out they will go.

Life is too short to wear something that makes me feel frumpy!!!

I love those pleated skirts. My darling Aunty S had a collection of them and she always look so elegant in them. Unfortunately they don't suit me at all.

No further weight loss this week. Hey ho, I'll keep at it.

Dont forget....Fab Friday.......Enjoy. :D

Ps. Didnt get the bungalow. Went to see a town house but it was a very big renovation job. The search continues......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure