PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Options

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Deleted_User - I've just edited my post, I have no idea why I put down sweet potato when I meant to suggest mashed cauliflower :eek: cut it into small pieces and cook, drain well(!), add grated cheese and mustard powder and blend it. Cauliflower also makes a good sub for rice, grate it and steam for a few minutes. If you make the rice cook some extra that can be mashed for a meal the next day.

Yes, it's a 'crustless quiche' and you can use cheese and bacon, chicken and mushroom, spinach and pine nuts, whatever you fancy. I was however teasing about the cost of yorkshires and stuffing - it wouldn't be a huge saving financially but it might make all the difference on the scales :D

ragz - I love that blog

totm for me as well and enforced carb eating is not the way to success for me. Come midnight, having felt ravenous since I got up despite eating decent sized meals, I demolished half a loaf of bread with butter and jam (I made really nice rhubarb and strawberry jam last week!) so today I feel really grim. Usually I don't even get tempted by the jam, have a taste when I make it and that's it, but 2 weeks of carb eating and I'm back in the old ways. I will have to work really hard at this.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Back to normal and lovin' it :D

Caterina I empathise :)

B - 2 slices Warburtons danish w/rf spread and marmalade
    D - tandoori chicken with saag and a mini garlic naan
    T - 2 craackerbread 1xvegemeite, 1xrf cheese 7 pickle. Cream slice - my neighbour made some this morning and gave me one, would have beeen rude to refuse :p
    S - grapes, Coxes apple from my tree, nana
    E 0 1 hour gym, threw myself into it and upped some of the weights. Was really funny doing the vertical traction (sit on seat and pull bar on weights down) I chose a heavier weight that usual and it was nearly lifting me off the seat when it went up :rotfl:
    Ready for my siesta then if the weather is still fine will clean yesterdays Mway dirt off the car

Have a good afternoon :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2012 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Haha, thanks again Daska :)

Hmm, cauliflower and rice does sound quite nice together thinking about it, not a combination I would usually go for.
    Yeah it would be cheese + onion or cheese + bacon or cheese + bacon + onion in the crustless quiche if I ever get around to making it this week :)

Also, DM bought me a surprise today when I got in from paying the bills at the corner shop - she made me a cold meat + stuffing sandwich as well, she hadnt realised she had plated up enough for both of us to have! So that was a very nommy lunch.

Will post meal plans for today and tomorrow since I've got a busy time going on here:

edited meal plans

Monday
    b- 2 hard boiled eggs, plain. 2 after eight chocolate mints [240]
    l- pork and stuffing sandwich, plus a handful of pringles (30g serving). apple and blackcurrant juice drink [157 for the crisps. guessing 350 for the rest, so 407]
    d- edited Garfunkels Club sandwich with chips [guessing about 1000 for the entire meal]
    s- 2 slices bread (small) with chicken & ham paste [142]

approx 1807 - not a very good non carb day for me

Tuesday:
    b- two hard boiled eggs. trifle dessert pot [285]
    l- 3 slices bread (small) with chicken & ham paste [213]
    d- nandos :D will be getting the 1/4 chicken with rice and sweetcorn - and then off to see the 7.30 showing of looper at the cinema. might buy chocolate buttons..... lol
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Folks

OK it’s the 1st of October and feeling very Autumnal today, I love this time of year – all my favourite veg are in abundance, went and did a F&V shop and came back laden with leeks, squash and parsnips the danger now is turning them into low-cal/healthy meals. I've also been doing a bit of tidying in the garden and dug up the last of my hg spuds, as a result food-wise it’s more comfort than healthy, I've got a pot of leek & potato soup on the stove but in an attempt to keep cals to a minimum I won’t be adding cream or milk. But as a treat I intend making stovies for tea :j – on days like these a bit of nursery type comfort food is the only thing that will do.

In my defence, I did also get 4 lovely figs at Lid! (49p each or 4 for £1 – bargain) so today will be stodgy comfort but tomorrow will be light and fruity.

I've got a few leeks leftover so going to check out the hairy bikers lasagne before I slice up and freeze the rest.
  • Sezzagirl
    Sezzagirl Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2012 at 9:39PM
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've just read through the last few pages here as I didn't get on much at the weekend!

I don't know about buying any books - I think we could just publish these posts as a fantastic healthy eating guide!

Having said that, I too have ordered the India Knght book as I love her writing and I am also very tempted by the Hairy Dieters as the p'back of their book is for sale in the box at work at the moment!

Apart from emergency fish'n'chips on Friday - Fridays are a nightmare and if I let myself not be organised there is no hope! - I didn't do too badly eating at the weekend!

Had great fun poking round our friend's costume hire place for a Halloween event we're going to! We have ended up with a weird and wonderful selection of costumes - enough to say that any Snow White's around need to watch out for me and my lovely red apples!

Yesterday was a longish walk. Not sure how far we went but we were out geo-caching for about 2 1/2 hours. It was quite hilly - well, hilly for south Suffolk - so we were up and down a bit and we had to back track so we were in the right place!

today, back on the careful eating!
    b- porridge with sk milk & spiced apple sauce, oj
    l- slimasoup, 3 ryvita & philly, lf greek yog
    d- pasta with l/o ratatouile (not sure about the spelling or the accuracy of the recipe - definately an OS dish!)

e- doggy walking in the rain, jazzercise tonight!
  • DaisyDayDream
    Options
    Hello all
    Didn't post yesterday, had a busy day laying new insulation in the loft and today the boards to cover the insulation. Does that count as exercise?

Yesterday
    B: usual cereal and fruit
    L: hm garlic mushrooms on one slice of toast
    D: Pork, new pots and lots of veg, small portion of apple and blackberry pie with hf cream.
    S: banana and one hm teacake
    Ex: 5 iles of dog walking

Today
    B: usual cereal and fruit
    L: jacket spud, filling and salad
    D: sausage, small amount of mash with veg and onion gravy
    S: 2 digestive biscuits
    Ex: 1 hr walking on beach with shammy this am, will do 3 miles later.

I found some old diet and exercise magazines in a box in the loft when we were emptying it on Saturday (from 2003) so I'm going to sit with a coffee later and find some renewed inspiration and ideas. Starting to feel a bit stuck in a rut and think I need to keep the motivation going.

Hope everyone has had a good day.
    Success is a journey, not a destination
  • Sezzagirl
    Sezzagirl Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Daska, I had a little pack the other day from Mr T's that had a few crackers, some cottage cheese and some chilli dipping sauce in! Not very MSEto buy it as a pack but I did get it yellow stickered and the cottage cheese + chilli sauce was delish! (ps you don't work in a library do you?)
    MrsCD, I will stand beside you in your pledge!
    WW, My boys helped out at their school open day on Saturday morning! On behalf of all parent's - we really do appreciate what you do!
    Caterina, thanks for the link - book on the way!
    DDD, Someone wise on this here board told me that anything that involves moving around counts as exercise!!:j
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    ...oooooops!

Hi all. Not posted all weekend as the Internet wasn't working - it bizarrely just came back last night, after they have arranged to send a new router. Never mind.

Well.....I had a disastrous weekend.

Friday involved crisps at lunchtime and then a curry and LOTS of booze...
    Saturday - more booze - and you won't believe this, curry a second time! Plus a lemon muffin for breakfast. Disaster.
    Sunday - HUGE roast dinner (was amazing though) and pineapple upside down cake and custard!!

I haven't weighed myself but I wouldn't be surprised if I've gained a few lbs, which is not good for the start of the next challenge :( plus, I have my 'monthly' this week which of course leads to bloating and pain and feeling rubbish and not like dieting and exercising!

Never mind.....onwards and upwards!

Monday's food -
    B - porridge with leftover stewed apples, tea (330)
    S - little fairy cake (no icing) that a workmate's little boy made for me. I couldn't refuse it as he made it especially for me! (Guessing 150)
    L - banana, yogurt, skinny popcorn (323)
    D - leftover pork stir fry with veg and noodles (582)
    Total - 1385
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 October 2012 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Deleted_User - you asked how to reduce carbs so I was suggesting grated cauliflower instead of rice, but TBH you're going to find it hard to reduce your carbs far without cutting out the sweets, bread and potatos etc.

Sezzagirl - erm... I used to work in libraries, but havent' for 25 years or so, does it show :eek: I'll pick up some cottage cheese when I run out of Qwack Quack Oops!

B - cup of tea - was craving food but feeling very bloated and uncomfortable so gave it a miss
    L - ditto
    S - the required amount of bread and a small amount of lamb and veg (I think I cooked too much! and there's more!! much more!!!)

I have a severe case of the munchies but I am resisting as well as I can

I got an e-mail today with details about some diet research looking for people to contribute. The details are on http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2012/10/01/would-you-like-to-participate-in-diet-research.htm?nl=1 but AFAIK it's not solely about low carb, they want all kinds.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    daisiegg wrote: »
    ...oooooops!
    I haven't weighed myself but I wouldn't be surprised if I've gained a few lbs, which is not good for the start of the next challenge :( plus, I have my 'monthly' this week which of course leads to bloating and pain and feeling rubbish and not like dieting and exercising!

You could be describing me today - hormonal, ready to kill, bloated, wanting to eat everything in sight and very tired......:(

The naughties today have been 3 mini cadburys bars (a total of 240 cals) and a big handful of dried chickpea noodles. I stuck to the meal plan otherwise and thankfully the tea I had made for today was waiting in the fridge when I got home and so it could have been so much worse.

I managed about an hour of walking with the dog but no other exercise apart from standing all day teaching.
    Oh well, tomorrow is another day......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport