MSE News: How to beat the latest TalkTalk price hikes

Options

Comments

• soldave
    soldave Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, TT is significantly cheaper.

BT Infinity 1 seems to be £12 + £19 Line rental + £49 activation fee.

TT is (for me) £25 all-in. My line speed has increased significantly with the new package and new router (to 48Mbps).

I was looking it as follows for BT unless my maths is wrong:
    Internet: £11 p.m
    Line rental: 205.08
    Activation fee: £49
    Cashback total: -£175
    Annual total: £211.08
  • soldave
    soldave Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anactuary wrote: »
    You need to ring TT to ensure the penalty is removed from your account before applying to Plusnet. If they "forget" as in my case a while back, you'll have to ring again and again and eventually complain to the CEO's office.

You don't want to tell TT you're cancelling just that you want the early termination charge removed so you can switch ISP as per Ofcom.

TT's current line is that they will not waive the cancellation fee if you switch ISP per OFCOM (i.e. through a new provider). They will only waive the fee if you cancel through them.
  • MurkySurfy
    Options
    soldave wrote: »
    I was looking it as follows for BT unless my maths is wrong:
    Internet: £11 p.m
    Line rental: 205.08
    Activation fee: £49
    Cashback total: -£175
    Annual total: £211.08
    It is wrong.
    Internet (10.99 per month) : £131.88
    Linear Rental upfront: £205.08
    Connection fee: £49
    Router: £7.95
    Total: £393.91
    Total after cashback: £218.91

I got 76mbps + anytime calls for £28.75 per month (£345), so it was cheaper for me to stay with talktalk than switch to bt. Plus caller display is free with talktalk.
  • torphi
    torphi Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Haven't had the letter yet and wonder if/when I will get it as I would like to leave ASAP.

Does anyone know how the 30 days notice works? For example, to avoid cancellation charges, do I have to wait a full 30 days before getting another supplier to connect? Any longer and I lose my connection and any shorter and they charge me? Seems a bit inflexible so hopefully this isn't the case.

I also have a mobile SIM contract that has a few months to go but from what I can see, you can't keep it going if you don't have broadband with them. so hopefully they wouldn't charge for cancellation given it would be them that cancelled not me.

I also don't know whether I can arrange a new supplier on any date I chose to avoid loss of service.

Liked the look of the BT deal from Cable.co.uk mentioned in the MSE email last week but there are only three days left and it would depend on the cancellation/connection process whether I could switch without cost and/or interruption to my connection.
  • gavrc
    gavrc Posts: 8,226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I phoned up after getting my price increase notification and the representative kindly 'deferred the cancellation fees' after a discussion with her manager.
    We all know there are no fees mid contract if there is a price hike, but they still had to make me out to be the bad guy.
    To be fair, I never had any technical problems and they we're always happy to drop the price if I hinted on leaving, but I always dread having to talk to an Indian call centre.

gav
  • cfmward
    Options
    Hi,

I received the email from TalkTalk today about price increases, having paid 12 months line rental upfront for the simply broadband package in July.

I just had a conversation on their online chat and was reassured that as I had paid upfront, these price hikes wouldn't affect me until the end of my 12 month contract period. However, reading the MSE news article it sounds like I will face increases. I'm feeling very confused!

Is anyone else in a similar position or can explain whether I will be affected by these price increases?

Thanks,
    Caroline
  • MurkySurfy
    Options
    cfmward wrote: »
    Hi,

I received the email from TalkTalk today about price increases, having paid 12 months line rental upfront for the simply broadband package in July.

I just had a conversation on their online chat and was reassured that as I had paid upfront, these price hikes wouldn't affect me until the end of my 12 month contract period. However, reading the MSE news article it sounds like I will face increases. I'm feeling very confused!

Is anyone else in a similar position or can explain whether I will be affected by these price increases?

Thanks,
    Caroline

If you want to stay with your current package with Value Line Rental, you already paid for line rental but the price for your broadband will increase:
    help2.talktalk.co.uk/important-update-our-price-changes#9325
  • steve_2012
    Options
    i had the email then the conversation.
    not sure i got a great deal got the rental, broadband fast (not fibre) and anytime calls for £25 as opposed to £28.
    i couldnt be bothered with the hassle and i get good speeds of 12 to 15mbs
  • frosty12345
    Options
    Hi,
    I was hoping someone could clarify the 30-day rule.

I received the notification about price change on 12.October.
    My prices will change from 15.November.

I transferred from sky to talktalk on 11.December.2015.
    My current talktalk contract expires on 11.June.2017.
    To get any of the sky "new customer" deals, you have to have not been a sky customer for over 12 months. New customer deals (with quidco/tcb) _always_ beat even the best retention deal.

To escape without paying the termination fee do I have to actually leave talktalk before 12.November (line transferred etc)? Or only have notified them of my wish to leave? (Then I can leave penalty free at a later point)

In the ideal case I would stay with talktalk until at least 11.december (I would happily pay the increased rate for a month or so). Then transfer to another provider before my original 18 month contract expires, but without paying the early termination fee.

Is this possible?

Thanks
  • Coinmachine
    Coinmachine Posts: 225 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2016 at 4:58PM
    Options
    Despite calling TalkTalk within 30 days of receiving the email informing of the price rises they have sent me a letter stating it will cost £44 to leave them and that if there is anything in the letter I disagree with to contact them. Is this just a ruse on their part to get you to ring them so they can try to persuade you to stay one final time as the initial email clearly says you can leave penalty free?
    I'm a greenfield sight for sore eyes, and sore eyes are just needing the light, the shapes, and the shadows of the space we share, before it splits into Thin Air.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure