BT broadband Haggling thread

Options

Comments

• Waste_not...
    Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere; I haven't had time to check the whole thread. My 12 month deal is about to end and I too have been offered an 18 month contract with the price guaranteed not to increase. However I've just noticed that my Caller Display discount only lasts for 12 months!! After this I have to pay £1.75/month for it or take out a new 12 month contract. Surely an 18 month contract should be just that; an 18 month contract for the whole package. How can they mix and match different bits? Seems ultra sneaky to me; possibly even illegal. I haven't signed up yet, nor had chance to phone and speak to them. Anyone else come across this before I go in with all guns blazing?
  • markbmcfc
    Options
    So,

I got my email with the increases, 2.50 for broadband. I'm on Infinity 2, with TV inc BT sports HD for 62.99 a month. I don't use the TV as I have Sky but it was cheaper doing in that way than ordering BT sport through Sky. Started my 18 month contract in May.

Rang them yesterday, straight to retentions, guy offered me to recontract the broadband at the same price, 44.99, and give me BT sport in SD for £10 a month. Told him I wanted HD, but he wouldn't budge.

I then told him i'd seen Plusnet offering 33.50 for the max fibre unlimited 76mb, for 33.50 per month, and they offer BT Sport through Sky in HD for 12.49 a month. He said "how do you get 12.49 for BT sport HD", i said it's on their website. Gave him the opportunity to match it and he said he couldn't move from his first offer. So initiated the cancellation with him then did the switch with Plusnet.

I go on the Plusnet website this morning and the 33.50 package has dropped to 29.99 for a 7 day offer. Got on live chat with them and they've agreed to reduce my price to todays price.

Happy with the result, kept BT sport in HD and reduced my price from £62.99 to £42.48 per month, only 6 months into my 18 month contract with BT, thanks BT!
  • xman
    xman Posts: 95 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    xman wrote: »
    I have started a switch to Vodafone now.

UPDATE: Started the switch and then got an email from BT "We are sorry you are leaving us" with date of transfer and stating the BT Sport channels would go up to £22.99pm unless I call the number...

Called the number in the email and asked if there was a way to keep my cheap Sports channels ;) and then they explained it would only be possible if I renewed my broadband contract - then she went on to offer the following deal:

12 months
    £24,99 Infinity 1 with the free speed upgrade
    £5 BT Sport
    £5 HD (3 months free)

Accepted the offer and they transfer me directly to Vodafone as I needed to speak to them and cancel the deal.

The speed upgrade still hasn't happened but happy with the 12 month deal.
  • xman
    Options
    However I've just noticed that my Caller Display discount only lasts for 12 months!! After this I have to pay £1.75/month for it or take out a new 12 month contract. Surely an 18 month contract should be just that; an 18 month contract for the whole package.

I was offered the same terms and found it unusual - I just asked her not to activate that option as we don't really need it.

A similar thing happened with infinity, the deal was offered with 18 months broadband but BT Sport discounted price only for 12 months... wish they could make things clearer for us, everybody.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere; I haven't had time to check the whole thread. My 12 month deal is about to end and I too have been offered an 18 month contract with the price guaranteed not to increase. However I've just noticed that my Caller Display discount only lasts for 12 months!! After this I have to pay £1.75/month for it or take out a new 12 month contract. Surely an 18 month contract should be just that; an 18 month contract for the whole package. How can they mix and match different bits? Seems ultra sneaky to me; possibly even illegal. I haven't signed up yet, nor had chance to phone and speak to them. Anyone else come across this before I go in with all guns blazing?

I've had the same conversation with them and told them it should be changed. It was fine when contracts were all for 12 months but doesn't work now with 18 month contracts.

They agreed but I doubt anything will change.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Caller display is tied to the line rental not BB .
    If you have renewed now then it expires in 12 months . As line rental is monthly you should have no problem.
    Going to be another price rise before 12 months is up judged by the past .
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I just clarify something.

Once I have given my notice that I am leaving due to the price rise, cancelling everything including line rental, I am then free to negotiate with any other provider?

I've basically told them that I am moving address to avoid any retention offer at this stage as I was already on a heavily discounted deal and it was still more than other providers.....albeit with excellent service to my area.

I'm more interested in cutting costs now than service better than I need.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You don't "cancel" anything - you just tell them you are moving to a new supplier because of the price increase.

The new supplier arranges the transfer, as opposed to BT "cancelling" everything
  • xman
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    Can I just clarify something.

Once I have given my notice that I am leaving due to the price rise, cancelling everything including line rental, I am then free to negotiate with any other provider?

I've basically told them that I am moving address to avoid any retention offer at this stage as I was already on a heavily discounted deal and it was still more than other providers.....albeit with excellent service to my area.

I'm more interested in cutting costs now than service better than I need.

You need to give your landline number to the new supplier - the new supplier then sends BT the transfer request and then you get an email from BT saying "Sorry you are leaving" with details of your disconnection date, etc.

That goodbye email for me came with a contact number that gave me a better deal on a 12 months contract.

So yes, start the switch but there may be still a chance to stay with them if you want.

Price is important sure, you can also get a new router and quidco, etc. in the process...
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Caller display is tied to the line rental not BB .

The issue is that BB contracts are now for 18 months and Line rental is included. At the end of the 12 months you lose your free Caller Display but you're still tied into a BB/Line Rental contract for another 6 months.
    If you have renewed now then it expires in 12 months . As line rental is monthly you should have no problem.

Why is it no problem? You either have to start paying for Caller ID or agree to another 12 months Line rental so everything is out of sync.
    Going to be another price rise before 12 months is up judged by the past .

There may well be but what if there isn't?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure