Warning: Avoid Swipe Auctions (swipeauctions.com) Scam

Options

Comments

• competitionscafe
    Options
    Swipe Auctions are even using a picture of Stephen Fry to advertise their scam on Facebook:

StephenFrySwipeAuctionsAd.jpg

Original image: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2007/sep/20/smartphonesreviewedbystephe1

Clicking on the ad takes you via vmtrk.com and on to swipeauctions.com
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should Twitter Mr Fry n let him know his face is being used to market a scam, he wont be too pleased.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2010 at 1:57AM
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    You should Twitter Mr Fry n let him know his face is being used to market a scam, he wont be too pleased.

Will do, although with 1,802,140 'followers' I am sure he gets "tweeted" hundreds of times a day and therefore may not see it! :o

By the way Swipe Auctions has changed their address yet again, now they are claiming their address is:

Ironi Ltd
    Southfield House
    Southfield Road
    Westbury-on-Trym
    Bristol, Avon BS9 3BH
    Telephone: 0117 962 1110
    Company No. 06931502

As a previous Jesse Willms company (Gillmap Ltd trading as Dazzlesmile/Dazzlewhite) was struck off by the UK insolvency service recently (as part of a clampdown on companies involved in the mis-selling of health supplements ) ; people may wish to let Companies House investigation branch know that whack a mole stylee, Willms has popped up yet again under different company names.

This can be easily done using this form:
    http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/complaintformcib.htm

IRONI LTD Company Registered No: 06931502
    CIRCLE MEDIA BIDS LIMITED Company Registered No 07333596
    trading as SwipeAuctions.com
    Sole director and shareholder of both companies is Adam Ryan Sechrist, a 30-something who lives in York, Pennsylvania USA.

http://www.dellam.com/cgi-bin/main.pl?language=English&foundnumber=06931502&search=yes
    -- Author Unknown --
  • krucker
    Options
    krucker wrote: »
    HarnaSA - (supposed Head of Public Relations for SwipeAuctions.com)

I was able to get my full refund by sending an e-mail to jennifer@swipeauctions.com. Just e-mail them, explain your situation, be polite, and they'll give you your money back.
  • sknnlygs9
    Options
    Swipe bids is a rip off. I have been trying for almost a month to get my money back from them. Each time I have to go the live chat on the website because they do not have a live person anywhere. I am convinced that I have been "chatting" with the same person with different names. You go to their site to register because you think you're going to bid and before you know it you have $159.00 taken out of your bank account. It is their registration fee. It is all bull. I have contacted CBS News because their logo is being used for advertisement on this site. It is ridiculous. Every day I hear your refund will be posted in 5 to 7 business days. I'm done so I'm taking it to the media. Maybe someone will turn these scam artists in and uncover who they really are thieves! Maybe we should start a class action suit against them.
  • homp
    Options
    well chaps - having read up on this Swipe auction con i though i would contact them direct and have a blast!! i hope you enjoy :-)

h.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    You are now chatting with 'Pamela'
    Pamela: Thank you for visiting SwipeAuctions.com Livechat Line. Our goal is to provide you with excellent customer service while assisting you with any questions or concerns you may have. We are here to help you win auctions, save money and have a great time. May we start with your name please?
    you: My name is pamela
    Pamela: Hi, I would be happy to assist you with your concern, so in order to pull up the details of your account, can you please provide me with your e-mail address and zip code?
    you: pamel.ripoff@hotmail.com BT80 6TN
    Pamela: Please wait while I check your order details in our system.
    you: my order?
    Pamela: May I have your full name?
    you: Pamela Ripoff
    Pamela: One moment please.
    you: take tow if you want
    you: *two
    Pamela: Are you sure, the above information you gave is the correct one? As,I am unable to trace your order with your Name & E-Mail address.
    you: that is strange. yes, details are correct. My name is Pamela Ripoff and I would likes to rip'd off/conned. Can you help?
    Pamela: Are you sure, you have subscribed to our service? Our service name is SwipeAuctions and our official website. Please don't get confused with any other service.
    you: yes i am sure. I am not getting confused. Can you help?
    you: Pamela? are you there??
    Pamela: Could you please let me know your last 4 digit credit card #?
    you: mastercard?
    Pamela: well?
    Pamela: Please provide me with the details of the credit card you used to order our service.
    Pamela: my mastercard?
    Pamela: Please let me know your last 4 digit credit card #?
    Pamela: from my mastercard?
    Pamela: At this point in time we can only accept payment by Visa. We had hoped to resume acceptance of Mastercard, but unfortunately it is still not available.
    Pamela: Are you sure you have registered with our service.
    Pamela: Are you sure you have registered with our service?**
    Pamela: i have american express. will that do? Yes I am sure i have registered. please help. I have plenty dollars i wish to depart from
    Pamela: One moment please.
    Pamela: At this point in time we can only accept payment by Visa. If you are trying any other card please avoid it.
    Pamela: Kindly try to register with our service with a Visa.
    Pamela: i have ALREADY registered
    Pamela: your records must be wrong. can i have a refund?
    Pamela: I am sorry, but I am unable to trace your order with your Name & E-Mail address.
    Pamela: why? is there a problem?
    Pamela: Please let me know your last 4 digit credit card # which you used to order our service?
    Pamela: is your system working properly?
    Pamela: Yes, our system is working fine.
    Pamela: Please let me know your last 4 digit credit card # which you used to order our service?
    Pamela: good. now were getting somewhere
    Pamela: my last 4 digits?
    Pamela: Yes, please provide me with the last 4 digit credit card # which you used to order our service?
    Pamela: one moment please
    Pamela: Yes, please take your time.
    Pamela: will do. i have to collect from next door. can you wait?
    Pamela: Ok, please take your time.
    Pamela: thank you. it is very much appreciated. If you dont hear from me then please call an ambulance as i may have had a stroke
    Pamela: Ok, there is no need to worry. I am here to assist you. Kindly take your time.
    Pamela: Pamela, you mean alot to me. I cant thank you enough. rest assured when i find this credit card i will furnish you with all the information you need! everything i own wil be yours
    Pamela: ....
    Pamela: nope. cant find it. sorry
    Pamela: Please contact us back when you find it.
    Pamela: can i speak to you again?
    Pamela: Yes, we are here to assist you 24/7.
    Pamela: is that your last 3 digits on your credit card number?
    Pamela: No, I am saying that we are here to assist you. Kindly contact us at any time.
    Pamela: ahh ok. can i have your last 4 digits on your credit card? Fair's fair.
    Pamela: I am sorry, but I need your last 4 digit credit card # to pull up your account to assist you further regarding to your queries.
    Pamela: jesus!! were not back here again are we??!! Pamela. I'm off to play the bingo! better luck to win something there!!!!! byeeeeee xxxxxcccxxxx
  • Red_Rover
    Options
    :rotfl: Tripe Quoted
    SwipeAuctions Addresses Their Membership Fee When the site first launched, SwipeAuctions tried to make the membership fee transparent and obvious. But, as is often the case during the launch of a new site, the design was not perfect and some people didn’t notice the fees and terms before they entered their credit card information. They were then surprised and concerned when they noticed a membership charge. In response, SwipeAuctions has redesigned the site to make the membership fee even more obvious so there is no chance of confusion. This was a result of their customer service team listening to consumers and responding to their concerns as quickly and directly as possible.
    End Quote

:eek: Reality (a very odd term to use on the same line as SwipeAuctions)

a) SwipeBids / SwipeAuctions NEVER disclosed any address for their website for the first four to five months of ripping off all hapless, unsuspecting visitors for $150 US membership fees and automatic sign ups to recurring monthly billings for other similarly undisclosed “special offers of auto topping up of your bids” for $11.95 US. This deception was eventually betrayed by the disclosure in the sites Terms of Use policy by reference to all legal matters to be construed as being in the Province of Alberta, Canada and skillful tracking of individual watchdogs. In spite of the bold claims from SwipeBids then and SwipeAuctions now that their Terms of Use Policy was reviewed by the best legal minds of both SwipeBids and all the bankers that the document was legal and binding, this simple omission of an accurate address did nullify this document then as it does now. No one has been legally bound by this Terms of Use Policy of SwipeAuctions but many are still willing to accept this tripe from their customer service and the many methods of payment managers that were simply looking for an excuse not to refund or charge back any of the money stolen from gullible victims.

b) SwipeBids / SwipeAuctions NEVER have made anything to do with membership transparent or obvious to any hapless victim until AFTER completion of the registration process. This deception was and still is implemented by use of the latest technology of website design of “cloudfront servers” that can display any webpage to a viewer in hundreds of different ways. The hapless victim does get to view a registration page that has absolutely no disclosure of cost of membership when they are identified by their IP address as “new meat” to plunder, but as soon as they become victims of this scam they are then identified the same way as before but as a possible refund seeker and from that point forward are shown the new improved versions of this registration page that does show these disclosures that the victim must have “overlooked”. Again many gullible new victims accept this tripe from SwipeAuctions that they just weren’t being careful enough and just didn’t take the time to look. This same technology is used by SwipeAuctions to produce a registration page to present to the bankers to prove that these charges are displayed transparently. Everyone has seen examples of how this technology works if you have viewed any of the fake “Just In! Amazing Deals on iPads Selling for $34.37” news tripe that will display your hometown, current date and your local weather and all ads on the page are targeted to your local market. Through your IP address and reverse lookup tools they know who you are and where you sleep and through the use of “dirty” tracking cookies they know your likes and dislikes.

c) SwipeBids / SwipeAuctions NEVER have displayed this membership fee transparent on any page of their website except for the registration pages shown to bankers and past victims. Not even the bogus Terms of Use page that is proclaimed to be a legally binding contract by SwipeAuctions, does not include any mention of any membership fees or the amounts. If I look in my old Contract Law For Dummies Booklet I find that no contract is legally binding if the price of purchase is not prominently displayed and the customer has the option to approve or disapprove of the contract amount. A further note, just because SwipeAuctions do display an address now, it has to be an accurate one and not a fraudulent statement. If the address showing is not real and verifiable, neither are any of the contract terms.

d) SwipeBids / SwipeAuctions still refuse to inform anyone through the live chat Contact Us area of the business location, management of this operation, or even the basic information of membership fee requirements with the amounts. Instead the newer visitors are told of the company’s policy of non disclosure for privacy reasons and are directed to activate booby trapped links that will cause an instant acceptance of membership with resulting charges of anyone who has already placed all the necessary information on the method of payment page. There are reports and complaints of victims suffering from multiple charges for the exact same membership that were hapless enough to be guided back to those booby trapped links when they were simply seeking information.

To sum this all up if SwipeAuctions wanted anyone to know of this policy to charge $159 US to become a member they would display information clearly on the main page in the banner area. They could put it into the scrolling tripe that promotes the websites charitable goals and the other unethical and deceptive marketing of this website.
    The fact is that few if any people would become members of this flashy scam auction if they were aware of the charges. Victims are deceptively led to a page that simply says register here and leave your information in case you choose to participate and win an auction item. Even that trigger button that steals your $159 US is labeled as “Start Bidding” or similar, it’s not labeled as an “I accept this offer button.”
  • Red_Rover
    Red_Rover Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 29 September 2010 at 12:57PM
    Options
    :cool: This is how they trick all of us and steal our money. I know that SwipeAuctions supplied registrants with a secure https page that did lull some people into thinking the auction might be legitimate and above board. All images were supplied from a clouding computer at cloudfront(dot)net and now the page images are supplied from edgecastcdn(dot)net and the page is not a secure connection at the swipeauctions-register(dot)com page. Why would they stop providing a secure login page while switching from an Amazon clouding server to this one , I do not know. Any answers out there? [FONT=&quot]:j[/FONT] Is edgecastcdn also an Amazon extention?[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]*After some searching I did determine that the change of clouding network may have been simply for a better share in the global market and now I understand that CDN is a term referring to a content delivery network.[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]edgecastcdn(dot)net Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    Whois Server: Whois(dot)tucows(dot)com
  • kjhblue
    Options
    I looked at this site with a view to joining I understood that all I had to do was bid at a reduced rate. Nowhere on the site could I find any reference to a membership fee I now find they have charged my debit card £105.00 I have no way of getting hold of them the only reference I have is the UK address with no contact number.
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2010 at 6:27PM
    Options
    Ad for Swipe Auctions scam is still running on Facebook using picture of Stephen Fry:

stephenfryscamadonfacebook01October2010.jpg

They have added to the deception by saying that the ad is from livingsocial.com but it is not - if you click on the ad you get taken to trackitlikeitscold.com (on same server as Vmtrk.com) and autoredirected to swipeauctions.com

P.S> Have received a message from Stephen Fry's agent/producer to say that they are aware of the ads and are looking into it. Have let him know that ads are still running as of today (02 Oct).
    -- Author Unknown --
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business