Cheap Flights Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shouldnt the airline provide a hotel as this is part of the journey?

No, they do flights.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Mike_J
    Mike_J Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking for flights from Liverpool/Manchester to Southampton on 9th September very early, returning same day very late for 2 people. The best "fare" Ive found so far was £6 each/each way but the £60 each way taxes and charges killed it!!!!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mike_J wrote: »
    Looking for flights from Liverpool/Manchester to Southampton on 9th September very early, returning same day very late for 2 people. The best "fare" Ive found so far was £6 each/each way but the £60 each way taxes and charges killed it!!!!

you are not going to avoid the taxes (which are £28 per person each way) the only airline I have seen doing tax free is the Ryanair discounted tickets and they do not operate these routes.
    Your early flight on 9th from Man has now risen to £30 each although the return still £6, as you are fixed on dates and there are limited options I can'r see it getting any better
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it is about time that some coach companies got in on the act, like the "Christmas Markets" deals, they could seamlessly take you to and collect you from the European airport. Particularly attractive for pensioners wanting to visit far flung relatives, as they have a bit more time for the connecting journey.

Also, is there a how-to guide anywhere with step by step instructions on how to purchase a ticket for long haul flights departing from mainland Europe, to avoid the UK's "air jailbreak" tax? Obviously I do not expect any UK flight to connect with that long haul flight to be tax free.
  • YYZ_2
    YYZ_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    No, they do flights.

Ha! You're subtle response made me LOL - 'some people' eh?!
  • aplegjnf
    aplegjnf Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2010 at 9:04PM
    Options
    Is there any way around the fact that the flight checker can find me outward flights but no returns?
    How do I go about getting back :rotfl:

Also, is there a way of saying any airport? The best I have found is all London. I want to fly from England to Romania - don't mind from where or to where. So far all london to all romania searches between aug and dec show no return jounrneys!
    Maybe the only way is to increase the price range for return and look for that journey alone? hmmmmmmmm
    thanks - nope tried that - went upto £200 price! STILL no return flights from Romania!
  • rhee_2
    Options
    My boyfriend lives in Liverpool, UK and I am here in Tasmania Australia. I have tried numerous 'cheap flight' sites and still find it very confusing and contradictory

Could someone please help me out? I am looking to book anything from a couple of months from now to a year away at the most. I would also like to stay there as long as my visa allows which I am pretty sure is 6 months (feel free to correct me!)

Any help or advice would be so wonderful

Thank you so much
  • cornish1
    Options
    WANTED - 2 cheap flights to Sydney in mid Jan

Stopping off (somewhere) in Asia for 6 weeks then Australia for 3 months then back to UK via (somewhere) in Asia for another 6 weeks.

Can anyone help ? Anybody know anyone who works for BA, Virgin ? Malaysia, Thai or Singapore Airlines who might help ?

(We're both over 30 so can't do the cheapo under-26 deals, unfortunately :(
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked Air Asia ?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    I heard that the UK is expensive for flight tax and that it's all about how far your flight is.

With that in mind I thought I'd try to reduce the length of the flight and then continue the flight again the next day. But I couldn't get this to be profitable in practice.

Can anyone get this to work?

Does the tax apply in all of Europe? (in which case Dubai makes a good stop-over), or is it mostly the UK?

The key thing is being able to see how much of the ticket price is tax. In all the long haul searches I'm doing the price of the tax almost matches the price of the ticket.

I couldn't get it to work but perhaps you can, and I hope this helps!
    I'm not surprised this wasn't mentioned in such a big website.
    -j

p.s.. I'm trying to get to Argentina. It's always more than £800 no matter what I seem to try even though I could spend a sweek getting there to save money if I want. especially annoying as it's a regular journey.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback