Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my flight delay compensation?

Options

Comments

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lets shut this down. Compensation for a delay is paid to the passenger NOT to the person or organisation who paid for the ticket. If your friends say you can have the compensation for buying their tickets that's fine if they want the compensation for the delay you must give it to them. That is the law.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2017 at 1:31PM
    Options
    Lets shut this down. Compensation for a delay is paid to the passenger NOT to the person or organisation who paid for the ticket. If your friends say you can have the compensation for buying their tickets that's fine if they want the compensation for the delay you must give it to them. That is the law.

Exactly, 'tis the law, EU reg EC 261:2004 says

"....the passengers concerned shall:

..... have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier..."

The other passengers' compensation does not belong to the lead passenger.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And why not return 3/4s to the airline, ask your seemingly unappreciative, greedy friends to make their own claim.....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    telsco wrote: »
    You should share the money.
    Each person suffered the inconvenience not just you.
    It's a lot of money to get back so if they were real friends and not just spongers, hopefully they'll each pay for you to go on holidays with them in the future.

In a perfect world, but reality suggests otherwise, I've paid for a few holidays for people in the past and nobody has ever returned the favour. I second keeping it as you provided the holiday in hte first place, very cheeky of them, suggests spongers
  • donny_jim
    donny_jim Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options
    If a friend of mine had paid for my ticket, I would let them keep the compensation.
  • donny_jim
    donny_jim Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Auto correct can be rubbish sometimes.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use the money to book another holiday for you all.

Return ticket for you, one way for them.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The law is clear that the money is NOT yours to keep.

Personally, if a friend had paid for my airfare though of course I would let them keep my compensation. But it would be my decision to do so - and there would be no legal obligation.

And if I was out of pocket by the delay (perhaps missing the last train home on the return leg, for example) I might use some of the compensation to ensure I wasn't out of pocket first! Ooooh - controversial! (Hardly)
  • RSHSB
    RSHSB Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    The compensation is for the inconvenience of the delay. Everyone shared the inconvenience, everyone should share the compensation.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Wow I wish I had a friend like you to pay for holidays for me :)

I've looked through all of the posts on here as it's a fascinating question this week!

I also enjoyed finding out a bit more about this one but the question asker hasn't answered as to why they have paid in full for their boyfriend and two friends, so it's still a bit difficult to answer this one without all the information.

If you are very well off and that's why you've paid because they are not well off and this money, the compensation, would be useful for them, then I'd give it to them.

It does seem a bit strange though that not only did you pay for the holiday but you've also done all the legwork and paperwork for getting the compensation - could they not do it for a specific reason?

If you can afford to pay for their holiday and because everyone suffered the delay, then if what others have said, that legally you should refund them for the delay and that legally they are due their compensation, then I think you have no other option but to give it to them.

If however, they are taking the mickey and even though you've paid for their holiday and done all the paperwork for all of you to get the compensation and they are expecting the money back, when they don't financially need it - I think again, that people are right in saying, get new friends and boyfriend!! Seems even worse that your boyfriend is treating you like this?!

Anyway, can I be your friend please - I'd love a free holiday :)) lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport