Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• sundries
    Options
    I came to the end of my contract with them and called to 'haggle'. I ended up with 5000 free texts, unlimited calls to landlines, 1200 free minutes any network anytime, 15 free photo/video texts a month and an upgrade all for £20 a month. I've also got the magic numbers that you get every 6 months which let you call other orange customerscompletely free for as long as you like. Before I had 100 texts and 225 free mins and was paying £15 a month. It was well worth asking for a better contract. Thanks :)
  • WillBanyard
    Options
    I've just renewed with Orange. I went sim only because I don't want to carry an expensive phone and wouldn't use the extra features. I managed to get 800 cross network minutes, unlimited texts, 2 magic numbers, and free home broadband, all for £15.00 a month for 18 months.

Problem was either some staff did not know what they were allowed to offer me, or they were trying to get me to pay extra. Half of the people I spoke to refused to give me the free broadband, but it turned out I could have it on this deal. So it's worth speaking to more than one customer advisor at the call centres.

Sim only worked for me this time, but if you're not interested in expensive phones, it's sometimes better to be given one and then sell it.
  • briznik
    briznik Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bagged myself a free iphone 3gs by calling to 'cancel' my o2 simplicity deal. on the £35 tariff but only paying 31. absolutely chuffed!
  • theogeorgio
    Options
    Have been with O2 for 5 years always used to get a good deal up to half price line rental. Now they were offering me the same deas they have on the web! The offers are actually worst than the full price of my current contract! They also wanted to tie me in 24m contract! i rang at least 4 different times with the same result. Asked to end the contract they guy become abrupt and brusque on the phone! seems ill be going for a cashback deal!
    Merry Xmas..
  • costingbunny_2
    Options
    My mum (aged 60) went to the Orange shop on Sunday with a pay as you go phone she had bought in July 2009 which had broken. They advised her that it would need to be sent away to be mended at a cost of £16. She then advised that she would buy another phone instead as the other phone had only cost £15. She found the phone she wanted - basic Nokia at £29.99. Somehow she subsequently agreed to going on a contract although she has always been PAYG as she is a light user. She has now (on Sunday) signed a 36 month contract at £10 per month for 100min and 300 text. Lord knows why she went on her own to do this :eek:and I am hopping mad that she is signed up for 3 years when she could have bought the Nokia and gone on a rolling contract for the same deal. I am going with her to Orange tomorrow to complain that she went in for a replacement phone and came up stitched up basically. My mum is now stressed and so am I - question - can she get out of the contract - read the terms but no indication but surely you have a cooling off period????
  • troonmaroon
    Options
    My mum (aged 60) went to the Orange shop on Sunday with a pay as you go phone she had bought in July 2009 which had broken. They advised her that it would need to be sent away to be mended at a cost of £16. She then advised that she would buy another phone instead as the other phone had only cost £15. She found the phone she wanted - basic Nokia at £29.99. Somehow she subsequently agreed to going on a contract although she has always been PAYG as she is a light user. She has now (on Sunday) signed a 36 month contract at £10 per month for 100min and 300 text. Lord knows why she went on her own to do this :eek:and I am hopping mad that she is signed up for 3 years when she could have bought the Nokia and gone on a rolling contract for the same deal. I am going with her to Orange tomorrow to complain that she went in for a replacement phone and came up stitched up basically. My mum is now stressed and so am I - question - can she get out of the contract - read the terms but no indication but surely you have a cooling off period????

I'm not sure she'll have much luck tbh as she got it in store - see recent article on this very thing on BBC by searching for "Cooling off for mobile phones? Not on the high street" (I'm afraid the site won't let me give you it as a link as I've so few posts...):

sorry! :confused:
  • costingbunny_2
    Options
    Thanks for the reply - kinda thought the same myself my just hoping!! Bl**dy mothers eh!!! Apparently she can change the phone after 18 months so all is not lost! cheers anyway mate.
  • spike2012
    spike2012 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry but i hate things like this. They've clearly stitched her up.:mad:

go in to the shop, ask for the person by name, whoever "sold" her the contract, if theyre not in, ask them to call that person at home. have a no argument stance, and say she wasnt mentally able to enter into a contract of any kind etc etc etc hint at legal action about entering a contract with someone not of a sound mind? I dont know much about the law, but worst case is, you're no worse off :rolleyes:

I mean they have clearly used something that she didnt fully understand in order to get into her purse. This is horrible, im really sorry.
    Baby daughter born 13.2.10 :j 6lb 11.5oz
  • pee1981
    Options
    briznik wrote: »
    I've just bagged myself a free iphone 3gs by calling to 'cancel' my o2 simplicity deal. on the £35 tariff but only paying 31. absolutely chuffed!

Yeah, I just got a similar deal; iPhone 3GS 32GB, 18 month for £31 - which is fine by me! Called them and gave them the spiel that Vodafone will be offering 600 mins, unlimited texts for £30 - but I really wanted the 3GS....on the second call back to O2's retention centre, I got the deal mentioned!
  • morgana
    morgana Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    I always search the E2save wensite for a bargain when my old phone contract is due to run out. In 6 years I have always received a brand new phone for free and until 2008/9, with cashback offers, paid nothing for calls and texts.

Oct 2008 I opted for T mobile's contact of 18 months for a Nokia 6300 (again ,cos I love that phone), 200 texts and 200 mins which is enough for my usage. With cashbacks I have paid £9 per mth over the 18 months.

Looking round for a better deal yesterday, as my contract runs out 1st Feb, I asked T mobile for a PAC number. They offered me the same phone, 300 mins and unlimited texts for £4.60 oer month with no worried about cashbacks.
    I asked about an upgrade to a Nokia 6303 and was offerdd the smae deal but at £5.60 per month.

Told em I'd think about it but it looks good to me. Why pay £30- £40 per month when there are deals like this around? :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback