Easyjet Tricks - guide discussion

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As a further question to the one above (next release of tickets), I booked our outgoing tickets to an Italian airport for mid June and am looking to book our return tickets when the new batch are released, but when I checked online using an earlier date for these 'one-way tickets' from Italy to the UK (just to see what sort of prices I could expect) the cost was given in euros. I realise I shouldn't be surprised, but can anyone explain how I pay using my GBP-style credit card for a euro transaction? I'm aware I'm probably being dense, but thought I'd best prepare in advance...
  • skid112
    Options
    if you use a GBP credit card they will charge you Euros to that card and then fees and an exchange rate to convert to Euros.
    There are a number of threads all over MSE on the best cards to use when paying in currency other than Sterling
    Save 12k in 2020 #19 £12,429.06/£14,000
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 September 2015 at 2:00PM
    Options
    Easyjet.com/it will have cheaper euro fares than .com/en
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • SumJuan
    Options
    the cost was given in euros. I realise I shouldn't be surprised, but can anyone explain how I pay using my GBP-style credit card for a euro transaction?
    You can select show in currency pounds sterling in the drop down box on the right hand side of the page.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a further question to the one above (next release of tickets), I booked our outgoing tickets to an Italian airport for mid June and am looking to book our return tickets when the new batch are released, but when I checked online using an earlier date for these 'one-way tickets' from Italy to the UK (just to see what sort of prices I could expect) the cost was given in euros. I realise I shouldn't be surprised, but can anyone explain how I pay using my GBP-style credit card for a euro transaction? I'm aware I'm probably being dense, but thought I'd best prepare in advance...

If you don't have a "good" card for paying in Euro (ie one with no overseas currency transaction fees), you can force the website to charge you in Sterling.

Make the booking with an ex UK flight as the first leg which will set the currency to sterling. After selecting your flights, delete the first unwanted flight and the currency will remain in Sterling.
  • mean-woman
    Options
    Just be careful when attempting to cram everything you own into hand baggage to avoid paying for a case to go in the hold – I ended up taking four months off work on sick leave after the guy behind me decided to retrieve his hand baggage from the overhead locker mid-flight, found it too heavy to actually hold and it came crashing down on my head!
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    Got in too late to get a decent price on May half term tickets.

Have tried to see if I could do the Flexifares trick, but doesn't seem to matter what dates/locations I enter it tells me Flexifares aren't available.

Am I doing something wrong?
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • jochip
    Options
    Hi, great article... but you're not entirely correct about Easyjet always allocating parents seats adjacent to their children without charging an extra fee for the 'privilege' lol. At the end of June, I had a big argument with another passenger on a flight between Malaga and Newcastle upon Tyne. Unknown to me before embarking, the check-in assistant had seated me and my boys, aged seven and nine, in three different locations. A pleasant male passenger offered to swap seats so that two of us could sit together but then a horrid woman came along and insisted that I move so she could occupy the window seat she had booked ("I've paid for it so I WILL sit there"). I pointed out that this would leave my lively and excited boys (a) unsupervised and (b) hence unable to view my laptop, which I had brought loaded with movies to entertain them on board. But, no, she insisted that I occupy my allocated seat, sandwiched between *her* female friend and a man who was playing Suduko. I knew what was likely to happen. I warned her! I would happily have offered to reimburse the booking fee for her seat, had she not been such a stroppy woman. Predictably, 30 minutes into the flight - amid considerable chuntering from other passengers that it was all my 'fault' because I had not paid 3 x seat selection fees to ensure we were placed together - the woman piped up: "I just cannot tolerate any more of this!" The boys had thrown crisps and then a book into her lap. She still did not want to swap seats but did not dare look me in the eye either! Eventually, the man who was playing Sudoko suggested that my older boy and I swap seats so that I could directly supervise my younger boy, who was still seated beside Horrid Woman. He offered to entertain the eldest with a few games of Sudoko! A solution, of kinds! But not my idea of a pleasant flight experience.... and that woman never glanced at me once all the way to the disembarkation haha.

I agree entirely, though, about the trick for checking a bag into the hold free of charge by offering it at check-in "to save ground crew time and free up room in the overhead lockers". It works EVERY time. We have done it repeatedly on Easyjet routes.

Once, we were late at check-in and I had a cabin bag forcibly removed at the gate... even though the overhead lockers were only partially filled. I accidentally failed to remove one 'valuable' - a black external hard drive containing all my data. I did not see it amid the black-lined suitcase. I completed the flight in terror that it would be broken. There I was, at the baggage reclaim entrance chute at Newcastle Airport, with my hands outstretched so that the case would not bang down on to the hard metal lip below. The HD was OK... just. EEK.
  • martynbrice
    Options
    The tickets have now gone on sale, but there are no flexi tickets for sale in July or August. I rang Easy Jet and spent 25 minutes on hold. When I got through I asked when flexi tickets were available. She spoke to her manager and I was told they only go on sale 120 days before you want to fly... so it's a big let down, it will be April before you can book..
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    Ahhhh, thanks MartynBrice that answers my question too re May Bank Holiday dates

So they release Flexidate tickets once there's less flexibility in their schedules anyway - nice one Easyjet! Makes it a more risky strategy for booking and switching dates then. Looks like you've found the catch in that loophole.

Btw sorry for the 25 minutes you were on hold with Easyjet that you'll never get back - but at least you have helped other forumnites.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback