PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

An OS Valentine's meal?

Options
Usually we go out somewhere really overpriced (because of the date), on Valentines day.
I was hoping to do a nice evening meal in, seeing as we have the house to ourselves for a while!
I saw some glasses the other day in the £1 shop, they had little red love hearts on, so sweet.
Problem is I have an old china cabinet full of nice glasses. I did resist buying them, but fear if I go back I shall.
They also had 'I love you' balloons, loads in packet, 12 if I remember rightly.
I need some romantic meal ideas that can be planned in advance, so as not to keep rushing in and out of the kitchen all night would be nice.
Nothing to heavy or anything with eggs (allergy, don't want to end up in hospital)........................and impressive!
I want to show off a bit, without putting in to much effort..............
LL
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

Comments

• Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about good old Spaghetti Bolognese? There is a recipe somewhere for a slow cooked one that simmers for 1-3 hours. You can also buy fresh pasta (if you can get it without eggs) seeing as its a special occasion, it only takes a few minutes to cook. You could make the sauce in advance and heat it up?

Edited to add:

There are lots of Spagbol recipes here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=131112&page=3&pp=10&highlight=spaghetti

My favourite by Caterina is here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=86967&postcount=9
  • SallyinWales
    Options
    The spaghetti bolognese isnt a bad idea, you can make the bog in advance. Why not add a starter - maybe a mozarella, basil and tomato salad, all prettily arranged, and a desert, maybe a fresh fruit salad with a little alcohol in it, or something wih chocolate, served with coffee, and fairly normal meal elements quickly become a complete romantic meal. I think you are right to think about makng the setting really pretty with things you already have, add lots of candles and don't forget to unplug the phone!
  • megsykins
    megsykins Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for spag bol!! Easy and scrummy!! Maybe go easy on garlic though!

Pate is an easy starter, can be all plated up in advance then pop toast in toaster (or just use some nice bread). Add some onion chutney and mmm...

As for dessert, tub of ice cream, dont even need spoons ;-) cheese and biscuits is also easy to do: open cheese, open pack of biscuits, serve!
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    ***** Apologies to all who have pm'd me - I no longer have this recipe*****

I have a recipe for a beautiful chicken dish cooked in red wine vinegar, mustard, and cream. You can make it right up to the last couple of easy steps the day before - although upto the last few steps can be a weeny bit fiddly.

DH recently voted it the meal he'd have for dinner on the day he could have anything in the world to eat all day!!

I normally serve it with rice and veggies. Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll dig it out.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • smokey112
    Options
    Mrs B

Wouldn't mind trying that chicken dish - sounds lovely

could you share it with us

Hope you are keeping well by the way

Take care

Ang
    x
    BCSC NO 40
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MrsB wrote:
    I have a recipe for a beautiful chicken dish cooked in red wine vinegar, mustard, and cream. You can make it right up to the last couple of easy steps the day before - although upto the last few steps can be a weeny bit fiddly.

DH recently voted it the meal he'd have for dinner on the day he could have anything in the world to eat all day!!

I normally serve it with rice and veggies. Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll dig it out.

It sounds lovely, i would love that recipe too!!!!
    Catherine x
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And as a big favour to me could you post it into our main Old Style Recipe Collection and link to it from here so that it doesn't get lost :)

TYIA :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I'd like to try the chicken dish..................even better if it can be done in the SC! As for the last minute bits, well fidly I'm not sure (?), but the fuss I can make by showing I've been 'slaving' all day over a hot oven effect.......................excellent!!!!
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Okey Dokey then, I'll bob and dig out the recipe.
    I think I'd like to try the chicken dish..................even better if it can be done in the SC!

Sorry - not SC proof!!
    Squeaky wrote:
    And as a big favour to me could you post it into our main Old Style Recipe Collection and link to it from here so that it doesn't get lost :)

TYIA :)

Go on then, seeing as it's you what's asking ;)
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    You could get some heart shaped stickers for a few pence in a stationery store, and decorate your own glasses, and maybe the outer edge of your serving dishes and candle holders too. They'll wash off afterwards :D .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport