Cold weather payments: quickly check if you're entitled

Options

Comments

• DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    davidhwdn wrote: »
    I get dla higher rate and esa income related,3 payments have been triggered,should i get them?

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment for each week of very cold weather in your area if you get Pension Credit or income-related Employment and Support Allowance with a support or work related activity component in the main phase.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • tad16
    Options
    Does anyone know the logic behind the policy of paying out CWP to people who receive income related ESA, rather than contribution related ESA. Seems if you work all your life and paid all the necessary contributions you get very little help when your health fails!
  • tonycree
    tonycree Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    yeah, white, single,english, male, middle-aged ... back of the q. mate
    then we won't give you anything if ya' make it to the front.
    we pay for the system in our good times but don't recieve the benefits when we hit it bad ...
    and guess what . there's nothin ' we can do ....
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Update (although not sure whether to put this on this thread or the other one! Might put it on both...)

Just spoken to them again, def entitled but due to the severe disability element being part of child tax credit instead of IS, they have to wait for CTC to do the scan to highlight who needs the payment and then advise IS.

They've told me to wait until the end of January! Really starting to struggle with the cold and feeding the gas monster to keep warm enough, at this rate, I am going to either only feed it the normal amount and double up on the jumpers, quilts etc or not pay a bill. My joints are feeling it (I have arthritis) and it's really starting to get me down.

I know I should be grateful that we will eventually receive it but it is so hard to keep 'up' about it when you feel like a crock of poo.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    Update (although not sure whether to put this on this thread or the other one! Might put it on both...)

Just spoken to them again, def entitled but due to the severe disability element being part of child tax credit instead of IS, they have to wait for CTC to do the scan to highlight who needs the payment and then advise IS.

They've told me to wait until the end of January!
    Hey Sue,

Just been in contact with tax credits helpline spoke to a lovely bloke :D Basically what he said re CWP is that IS have to phone them and they will confirm that we do infact get CTC and the disability premium. He did say they had been getting a lot of phone calls regarding this! So I guess it's just a waiting game at the moment.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • benjidoty
    Options
    I rang my local Job centre this morning to check if I was entitled to CWP?
    they checked and said NO!!!....I am 46 single lady with no children or dissability and unemployed. I receive Jobseekers Allowance based on my NI contributions and I receive an Army Widows Pension.

Please can anyone tell me if this is correct or speak to someone else like CAB?

Thanks
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    benjidoty wrote: »
    I rang my local Job centre this morning to check if I was entitled to CWP?
    they checked and said NO!!!....I am 46 single lady with no children or dissability and unemployed. I receive Jobseekers Allowance based on my NI contributions and I receive an Army Widows Pension.

Please can anyone tell me if this is correct or speak to someone else like CAB?

Thanks

That is correct.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Kay.Samuels
    Options
    Hi can anyone tell me, does the CWP get credited into your account as a payment on it's own of £25, or is it added onto one of the benefits you regularly receive? (need to know to check through internet banking if I have had any paid in yet).

Postcode checker says I should be receiving 2 payments. I am SO relieved - I am on a prepayment meter and the amount of money it is costing me o keep us warm is a nightmare!

It is only a bargain if you need it!
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can anyone tell me, does the CWP get credited into your account as a payment on it's own of £25, or is it added onto one of the benefits you regularly receive? (need to know to check through internet banking if I have had any paid in yet).

Postcode checker says I should be receiving 2 payments. I am SO relieved - I am on a prepayment meter and the amount of money it is costing me o keep us warm is a nightmare!

Hi there

From what I know of its dealt with separately.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    For anyone still waiting, the email we received as well prior to the phone call about the CWP:

Dear
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    Unfortunately a number of our customers have not had their cold weather payments triggered automatically.
    I received a scan yesterday detailing the customers affected and your name is included.
    I will be working on the scan in the next few days so any payments due will be issued into your account next week.
    If you have any further queries then do hesitate to contact me.
    Regards,
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family