The New Adventures of Fortune

Options

Comments

• cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Wow! How quick was that. Hope you find a lovely propety on your hunt this weekend. Very exciting. Good luck. I shall look forward to reading all about this exciting new chapter.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, great result to get an offer so quickly. I hope you find a new home to love this weekend x
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fabulous news, FS - am pleased for you! Hope you have a lovely - and productive - weekend away :)
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great news on selling your house so quick. I hope you find just what you are looking for this weekend:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Hope you are having a great time in Shropshire, happy house hunting.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your good wishes. We are in the middle of house hunting madness and have found some possible candidates. Does anyone live in, near or have any information about these areas?
    • Dolanog, Welshpool
    • Llanfyllin, Powys
    • Whixall, Nr Whitchurch, Shropshire
    • Gobowen, Shropshire.

Suddenly feeling a bit scared about moving to an area I know nothing about. Worried about making this huge, expensive decision and getting it wrong :(

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Fortune, I missed your new diary. So lovely to read your house sale tales. We definitely lived through many of them too.

It really took me back over the last few months and I too was so pleased/delighted that we had decluttered so much already. It really made the move easier.

Good luck with everything.

Tilly xxxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    It always looks scary FS, OH was only moving from one end of Essex to the other and we still weren't sure which bits were the nicer bits XD We skipped Colchester entirely in the end as we just weren't sure which areas were better than others and we really didn't want to end up in a place with a crap reputation.

Two main things I can recommend;
    1. Have a google to see if any of the places on your list have an online community forum. Ours does and it was good to see what kinds of things the councillors etc were occupied with in terms of on-going concerns in the local area.
    2. There's a crime statistics website that is updated by UK police, which shows crime rates in towns or general areas. Have a play with some postcodes and see what comes up. The place we bought in just had car break-ins and some ASBO-related stuff (lots of students in this area) but nothing serious.

Good luck!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Fortune, I cannot help with information on any of the areas you mention either, if you decide on Wales, it might be worth you checking with anyone you know IRL or here reference the state of the NHS in that area, a family member in Powys has several times mentioned their difficulty, as in prolonged length of time in being able to get referrals to consultant level - free prescriptions for the last ?? years was welcome, but now no money left. Even 3 years ago someone else I know felt they had to go private for a hip replacement as the waiting times were very, very long.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice - it's really appreciated.

I can now confirm - we have found a house and our offer was accepted today :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

We are over the moon and absolutely exhausted. Mr F has driven 900 miles in 5 days. We saw 13 properties and went back to 4 for second viewings. The right house for us was the penultimate first viewing so we had felt quite despondent for the first few days. Our vendor struck a hard bargain and we didn't know whether we would ever reach agreement. Our solicitors are instructed and we have a mortgage agreement in principle.

And breathe...

There's a long way to go before the house is ours but we've jumped the first two hurdles. Our focus now is to declutter and sell as much surplus stuff as possible to fund the move.

I'm not planning to do much tomorrow, too tired, but our buyers want to come back to the house Wednesday evening so I'll be cleaning again from Saturday :eek:

Thanks again to everyone who contacted me with local information - so helpful and really gave us the confidence to proceed.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure