A Better View ๐ŸŒ„

Options
Fortune_Smiles
Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,034 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 13 August 2023 at 10:42AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hello Forumites ๐Ÿ˜Š

here I am again with a new diary for the new chapter we're embarking upon.ย  For those who haven't met me before, here's a quick summary of our journey so far:
  • I joined the forum 11 years ago.ย  Mr F and I had bought our first house together 9 years earlier and life was very full on.ย  We decided to pay off our mortgage to give us more lifestyle options
  • and we nearly did it ๐Ÿ˜‚ย  I was able to retire from full time work and take up the responsibilities of running the home.ย  That took a little pressure off Mr F and allowed us to have more work life balance.ย  However, we then decided to move to our dream home ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • this brought further improvements to our lifestyle but more mortgage which we set about overpaying in earnest
  • Mr F was promoted just before the move and his new job involved a lot of global travel and time away from home.ย  The Pandemic brought some respite from that.ย  However, this year, the travel has started to increase again and it's becoming too much
  • which brings us to the present day.ย  Mr F is currently serving his notice period ๐Ÿ˜ฒย  We have private pensions which will cover essential living costs but, if we want to have any savings or fun money, we'll need to bring in some extra income so we're setting things up for Mr F to become self-employed.
We're hoping this will mean we have more time to spend together but are still able to fund the lifestyle we'd like.ย  Having had the security of Mr F's well paid, full-time job for so long, it does seem as though we're standing on the edge of a cliff but then...

'Standing on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais

It would be wonderful to have some company on this next leg so I hope you can join me.

Fortune x
ย 
PS If you'd like to read about our previous adventures you can find them here:

Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
A Better View ๐ŸŒ„ 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
ยซ13456762

Comments

• Rach273
    Rach273 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy new diary! Iโ€™ve only just discovered your old one so looking forward to catching up and following your progress with interest :)
    "Itโ€™s all about balance, do you see? Balance is the trick. Keep the balance andโ€”โ€ She stopped. โ€œYouโ€™ve ridden on a seesaw? One end goes up, one end goes down. But the bit in the middle, right in the middle, that stays where it is. Upness and downness go right through it. Donโ€™t matter how high or low the ends go, it keeps the balance.โ€
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Diary Fortune!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tip-top @Fortune_Smiles! I have subscribed.ย  ย Onwards and upwards love Humdinger xxย 
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy new chapter and diary x

• VintageHistorian
    Options
    Happy new diary FS! Have duly bookmarked this new one to follow.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - ยฃ901.28!
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Following you over here :smile:
    Mortgage 30Apr est. ยฃ184,460ย ยฃ244,947, Ends Jan'38ย Jun'39ย (target Feb'31)
    H2B Loan Est: ยฃ73,657 (accord to NW) - saved for Jun25 so far ยฃ10

EF ยฃ6,325;ย Personal savings (PBs/ISA new car fund): ยฃ2149
    Check Seven Goals Regularly; Work-life balance.
    Celebrate being 60; Be 'Good Enough'
    Books Read: stuck on no.6 in 2024
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary.
    A new chapter beckonsย  xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Four_Seasons
    Options
    Following along xx
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of changes ahead! Happy new diary!
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA ยฃ5500
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on the next chapter - will continue to follow with interest.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 ยฃ201,999 with 237 payments to go - now ยฃ184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door ยฃ12.3K
    3) CC ยฃ4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by ยฃ34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC ยฃ9.6K/ยฃ127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target ยฃ13.7/30K 45.7%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure