PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

Options

Comments

• rancidveg
    Options
    I have tried many of the methods on the internet,toothpaste,vinegar,talc and glycerin and non have worked. This is what I tried today to loosen and remove burnt on muck from my iron...you know the staff from t shirt emblems.
    Get a shallow baking try. Place a tea towel folded into quarters in the middle of the tray ,pour boiling water onto the tea towel pad and then splash some common household vinegar onto the pad (about half a up). Place your cold iron face down onto the pad and leave it for at least one hour. When you come back to it the gunk should be soft enough to scratch off with your finger nail if not repeat . To clean the fiddly areas I used a tooth pick...steam holes etc . Wipe clean with water so you dont stain your clothes when next ironing.
    I did this morning . I set up the iron with the pad as described then went and made pancakes for breakfast . When I got back the gunk was really easy to clean off in about 10 mins

I hope this hint helps others :j
  • pinky_p
    pinky_p Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks rancidveg this was an excellent tip. I had clothes fibres burnt to my iron and like you had tried various ways of removing them. Anyway, this morning I decided to try your method. Instead of adding boiling water I just sloshed some white vinegar onto a folded tea towel in a shallow baking tray and left the cold iron on it for an hour. I was able to just lift the fibres with my thumb nail and then wipe the iron clean. Thank you!
  • Grammy1
    Options
    Put some salt on a thick piece of card. Heat the iron till very hot. Now rub the iron in the salt. That should removed the mark. Cheap and easy!

Thank you Mrs Mondragon. :T
    I've been trying lots of remedies to clean off some really stubborn marks on the soleplate of my iron all to no avail until I came accross this one - it worked - and very quickly too.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, I wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to remove black scorch marks from a stainless steel type iron ? Thanks :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I read somewhere that using warm water with a nylon scouring thingy gets everything off an iron. Not tried it though.
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First, I would put the iron on to its highest setting and pass it over some newspaper or an old towel to get the worst off that's been melted onto it. Then, switch it off at the socket and give the whole thing a good scrub with some wire-wool/a Brillo pad while it's till warm. Then give it a good rinsing several times with a clean, damp cloth, heat the iron up again and pass it over some newspaper or your trusty old towel to ensure there's nothing left behind on it.

Then, resolve to never use the iron on too high a setting for your synthetics ever again.
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my mother has managed to do this to a non-stick tefal surface, she only comes over twice a year but loves to be helpful, hey ho!

try the Wenko iron cleaning stick less effort than scrubbing.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will give those a go.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi newgirly,

I've added your thread to the existing one on cleaning the sole plate of an iron where you'll find lots more helpful suggestions.

Pink
  • Always-Hopeful_2
    Options
    Hi

My Iron has a dirty bottom, burnt i think, due to my Husband doing the ironing the last couple of weeks as ive had an op......

Now before i found this website, i would of just bought a new one...lol

But now of course im going to clean it, but i dont have a clue how to do it? Ive tried scraping it on the side of the ironing board when hot, but thats not really working

I know there is probably a really easy way of doing it, if only someone can help me....please

Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport