gromit99 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I applied to easyjet for compensation for a four hour delay
    this is their reply however despite receiving the pasted email below after
    2 months and 3 emails I have still not received my compensation
    any ideas as to how I can proceed with this
    many thanks
    Carol

Having checked the details of your flight, I can confirm that the reason for your disruption was due to a Non Extraordinary circumstance under EC Regulation 261/2004. As a result you will therefore be entitled to a compensation of (339.24 GBP) per passenger.

I have raised a payment to the account details you provided when you submitted your claim, and you should receive this in the next 7-10 working days.

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Double check the payment details you sent them. Give them a call and see what they say. Tell them you will issue proceedings in the small claims court if they don't pay up.
  • gromit99
    gromit99 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2017 at 5:10PM
    Options
    I used their online form to claim so I am unable to double check my bank details but I'm pretty sure they were correct they do not reply to my emails and phoning them is a nightmare :(
    Does anyone have any good telephone numbers
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Off topic, but just got £40 credit voucher from Easyjet price promise after my flights dropped from £205 to £158 :):)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Basingstoke_Betty
    Options
    Hi,
    I'll try to keep this brief starting with steps taken so far....

Delay of over 4 hours on European flight this summer due to knock on effect following bird strike to the plane on a previous journey.
    Easyjet denied compensation via their own process.
    I issued NBA - I have proof of receipt - they didn't respond.
    I issued MCOL - they are defending.

I used Vauban's guide (thank you) to fill out MCOL form but did not include the names of all travellers or the flight number as there was limited wording.

Easyjet's defence is that I have not provided them with flight details so they cannot confirm I was on any flight (*apart from my CLAIM on their own system and the NBA*).
    They claim that I have not provided proof of being a passenger.
    They claim that it is down to me to prove I was on the flight (thankfully I have my boarding passes, the emails they sent us during the day to say that the flight was delayed, my booking references etc etc etc).
    They claim that I cannot claim on behalf of my husband or children (locus standi?).
    They claim that I cannot claim interest as this is not a damages case.

So now I have a very small form to complete which is basically two things: 1) do I want mediation and 2) do I agree it is small claims court?

But there is no process for me to provide all the evidence that I was on the flight etc....and they claim that they cannot investigate without further 'particularisation' from me...so here is my question:

How do I give them that information?

I don't want to go all the way to court only to be told by the judge that I didn't give them enough information to do their investigation. (Although they DO have enough as I have submitted both a claim via their website - which they rejected by email and which I have a copy of).

Not sure if I should tick mediation box as that gives me a chance to let them know that I DO have proof that we flew.

Also, how do I prove that I can speak on behalf of my whole party?

so, I've tried to be to the point here - advice very gratefully received.

Just a note to encourage everyone..... today I got a judgement from the court. EasyJet have been told to pay all compensation and costs. Thank you forum for your support.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a note to encourage everyone..... today I got a judgement from the court. EasyJet have been told to pay all compensation and costs. Thank you forum for your support.

Well done - pays to be persistent!
  • Risnog
    Risnog Posts: 19 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently booked a flight with Easyjet, but due to a combination of overbooking and poor service on their part, I was unable to make the flight. I've searched various threads to establish what to do now but can't find anything that matches my scenario. Can any of you advise please?

Around 3 weeks ago I booked a one-way flight from Palma de Mallorca to Stansted for myself, my friend and her 4 year old daughter. I booked online through the Easyjet website (via Kayak). I paid on debit card.

About 48 hours before the flight was due, I received an email from Easyjet saying I could check in online. However, when I tried it said there was an “error” and to “go to an easyjet bagdrop desk”. I tried again a few times and on my friend’s phone. I took a screenshot of this error message. As I was eager to ensure we would sit next to the 4 year old on the flight, I visited the airport the day before the flight was due. The Easyjet desk was closed and I couldn’t find a single staff member. Airport staff told me to come back tomorrow.

On the Monday (the day of the flight), we arrived 2.5 hours before the flight was due to depart. I have a bus ticket to the airport to prove this. At the checkin desk we were told they had overbooked and we should wait there until they could establish they were certainly overbooked. They said there was another flight to Gatwick before ours, however, we would need to pay for a train to Stansted. Or, we wait and claim potentially 250 euros each and get a free flight/expenses. We waited at the desk but I wanted to ensure we were doing the right thing so I called the Easyjet telephone customer services. They said there were no notes on their system, so I spent about 10 minutes to-ing and fro-ing my mobile phone between their customer service staff.
    Another staff member at the checkin then came on duty and told me (contradicting previous staff) that they could have paid for that train from Gatwick but it’s too late now, and that we should have been waiting near the gate. She told me that staff would see if anyone would voluntarily give up their seat and a member of staff would let us know. She gave me our boarding passes but with no seat numbers listed.

We went straight up to the gate which was rammed with people, we found close seats nearby so the little one could sit. We didn’t leave those seats unless one of us went to the loo. Either way, at least one of us could hear the tannoy and see the gate. A queue formed and gradually went down. Finally, when there was no one else there, about 10 minutes before the flight departure I went up to the gate to ask what was going on. The man at the gate (I took record of his name) told me we had missed the flight. He said he had been calling our name and we hadn’t been there. I began to get upset (though still polite) and he told me to talk to customer services downstairs. He told me he hadn’t announced our names on the tannoy. I was just in shock as I knew full well that no reasonable effort had been made to inform us of the flight. We had followed every instruction given to us by Easyjet staff.

We went downstairs to the Easyjet customer service centre. Lo and behold that same man from upstairs had taken over the office downstairs for our case. He told me there was nothing to be done. He then flat out lied and said he’d announced our names on the tannoy and walked around shouting our name. This simply isn’t true. When we were waiting, we didn’t have headphones in, we heard other names but never ours.
    He also said we were sitting 30m away from the gate. Again, this is a lie, and I have photographic evidence of this. Plus surely there are CCTV recordings and/or tannoy recordings. When I said that it’s not true and asked why he wasn’t telling the truth, he said “you say I’m lying, what can I do?”.
    He said he could put us on another flight in 2 days time and we would have to pay £80 each and pay for our own hotel/expenses in the meantime. I was very upset but he just refused to talk to me and closed his office window. I called Easyjet customer services who said he was a manager and what he says, goes.
    I was absolutely disgusted. I’ve never known such lack of integrity from such a well-established company.

So there we were, at 6pm with a 4 year old and no available flights home all day. At this point, the Easy jet staff were hiding from us. It’s no joke!- They were actually hiding in the office and refusing to speak to us. It’s not like I was being threatening or violent as they could just call security.
    We just wanted to get home, but with no more flights to the UK, we had to book a flight to Barcelona, then to Luton, then a coach to Stansted where our car was.

So because of Easyjet’s appalling customer service and lack of integrity and compassion (they knew were were with a 4 year old), we spent the night ‘sleeping’ in Barcelona airport- on a cold floor. We really didn’t have a choice as could not afford the £250 airport hotel rooms. Our whole journey back cost us £138 for the easy jet tickets, £250 for replacement tickets and £41 for the coach- plus extra food expenses. I have receipts for all of these.

So what shall I do? Complain to Eastjet directly? I assume I may need Spanish law, EU law and may the English trading standards law i.e. right to a reasonable quality of service?

I’m not actually convinced the flight had spaces for us (who would volunteer to stay for 2 days?!), can I find out somehow? And what about the tannoy recordings and CCTV?

Can I still go for the 250 euros overbooking compensation? As far as I can see, we did everything we were told to do. If that flight was never overbooked, we would have made it on.

I paid for the subsequent flight on credit card so maybe I can get some help from the credit card company?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Vauban
    Options
    So in a nutshell, easyJet thought you might need to be bumped from the flight because of overbooking, but you were given a provisional boarding pass and told to wait by the gate. You believed that a member of staff would proactively approach you, so sat and watched everyone board until there was no one left and the gate closed?

If that is what happened, then I'm afraid I don't really see how you can claim compensation. You should have made yourself available to the staff at the gate, and certainly once boarding had commenced. If you didn't do this, it's a no show (albeit because of a misunderstanding).
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First piece of advice: write something much shorter. Key points:
    1. you had a reservation for a specific flight;
    2. you were unable to check in on-line before the day of departure;
    3. you arrived at the airport in good time but were not allowed to board your flight.
  • Vauban
    Options
    First piece of advice: write something much shorter. Key points:
    1. you had a reservation for a specific flight;
    2. you were unable to check in on-line before the day of departure;
    3. you arrived at the airport in good time but were not allowed to board your flight.

Though point 3 is not be strictly true.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure