Asda launches revamped price guarantee News Discussion

Options

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Am I reading this right, TESCO is accepting ASDA refund vouchers???????? OMG, we really do have a price war here LOLLOLLOLLOL

thanks for posting this ladywhisper, lookslike tesco is worried concerning the money back vouchers :)
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i like how it lists all the steps like it's going to take you a lifetime to complete

it takes literally less than a minute, the instructions are clear & concise and asda aren't implying they're 10% cheaper. they're saying that if they're not at least 10%, you get a voucher.

looks like tesco are getting worried and are on the offensive
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • gozaimasu
    Options
    Hmmmm I'm not so sure this price guarantee is a sure fire winner for those who don't shop regularly at Asda anyway.

For example Lloyd Grossmann sauces are £1 in Morrisons at the mo' so you can buy 8 jars of different flavours for £8.

In Asda right now, 8 jars would cost you £12.66 (one of each flavour), so Asda would give you £4.67 voucher.

So you only profit from this deal by a penny, so you might as well have just bought the sauces from Morrisons in the first place and spent 4 quid less!

Unless of course they way people see it is as having spent 8 quid on the sauces then got 4 quid odd to spend on Asda products? Which doesn't make sense because you already spent 12 quid in the first place...
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Had to laugh at some of the comments saying the coupon was for a small amount (£s).

I've got 2 coupons - 6 pence and 20 pence. Got nothing on the 3rd try.

Perhaps I'm a savvy (or tight) shopper to begin with?
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I've just tried my first receipt under the new 10% system and no surprise- Asda were cheapest. My Asda, Tesco & Sainsbury's are close enough that I can go to each store to pick up the bargains. This month so far I've saved about £25 by getting cheaper offers from Tesco.

With some careful planning I could now buy all these at Asda and save myself an extra £2.50 a month plus maybe £1 in petrol money driving round to the stores (although I could save more than that by leaving the odd box of crème eggs on the shelf in the first place!)

So personally I think I'll keep visiting the store if they've got offers on. If not just go to whichever one comes out cheapest on mysupermarket.

If this scheme is used a lot I can't see it lasting long anyway. If something is sold half price or BOGOF it's probably because the supermarket has squeezed the supplier. If I go to Asda or Tesco with a voucher for £27.50 they'll want to get the money back somehow.

As for Tesco's claims

Like the fact that Asda’s guarantee doesn’t cover many of your favourite everyday essentials such as milk, bread, fresh fruit and veg and fresh meat. It’s true! Bananas – not included.

Well on the receipt that I compared:- (first price is Asda, second -or N/A - is Tesco)

0.77 x ASDA Bananas by Weight (100g) £0.59 £0.66
    1 x ASDA Fresh Milk Semi Skimmed 6 Pints (3.41L) £1.85 £2.17
    2 x ASDA Fresh Milk Skimmed 2 Pints (1.14L) £1.72 £1.72
    1 x ASDA Fresh for a Week Medium Sliced Wholemeal Brea... £0.74 £0.80
    1 x ASDA Baking Potatoes (4) £0.50 N/A
    1 x ASDA Onions Large (3) £0.50 N/A
    1 x ASDA British King Edward Potatoes (2.5Kg) £1.97 £2.00
    1 x Hovis Best of Both Medium Sliced White Bread (800g... £0.80 £1.25
    1 x Hovis Best of Both Thick Sliced White Bread (800g) £0.80 £1.25
    1 x ASDA Whole Cucumber £0.80 £0.75
    1 x ASDA Smartprice Mild Grated Cheddar (500g) £1.88 £1.88
    1 x ASDA Clementines (1Kg) £1.25 N/A

Okay not all the fruit & veg have been compared. Possibly nothing to compare with. But everything else is compared with only the cucumber being cheaper at Tesco, and I'm sure their cucumbers are smaller anyway

Now I'm no expert but it seems to me that Tesco haven't been completely honest here. I'll not put my full opinion as it may upset MSE lawyers but it could be a good time to follow Tesco's own advice

Customers shouldn’t have to shop again at a store that we believe has misled them
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    1 x ASDA Baking Potatoes (4) £0.50 N/A
    Asda sell this as 4 units, whereas Tesco are 750g. Both are 50p so depends on the size of the spuds they give you in Asda. :o
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    spaceboy wrote: »
    Asda is definitely cheaper. You may find the odd offer in Tesco cheaper but overall the is no chance in hell Tesco will be cheaper.

I shop at Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's - very rarely Tesco. Their stores have a really cheap styling to them as well, no soul.

If your saying Asda has style....first time i've heard anyone say that...:rotfl:

People need to take into account as well with this that even if Asda does work out cheaper for them that they are also visiting Asda as it is the most convienent store otherwise you have to take petrol into account if your driving out of your way for such bargains...
  • dvs
    dvs Posts: 826 Forumite
    Options
    gozaimasu wrote: »
    Hmmmm I'm not so sure this price guarantee is a sure fire winner for those who don't shop regularly at Asda anyway.

For example Lloyd Grossmann sauces are £1 in Morrisons at the mo' so you can buy 8 jars of different flavours for £8.

In Asda right now, 8 jars would cost you £12.66 (one of each flavour), so Asda would give you £4.67 voucher.

So you only profit from this deal by a penny, so you might as well have just bought the sauces from Morrisons in the first place and spent 4 quid less!

Unless of course they way people see it is as having spent 8 quid on the sauces then got 4 quid odd to spend on Asda products? Which doesn't make sense because you already spent 12 quid in the first place...

Under the current ASDA price guarantee, you would be charged 10% less than Morrisons so you would pay £12.66 instore and get a voucher for £5.46.
  • dvs
    dvs Posts: 826 Forumite
    Options
    doodles1 wrote: »
    Hi
    how do i get a voucher asda says it will refund the difference even if they are cheaper, well i have entered my till details and this is what comes back

Tesco Sainsbury's Morrisons Waitrose
    +£6.98 +£13.14 +£7.71 +£16.62
    View details View details View details View details
    The comparison carried out by mySupermarket found that yet again ASDA, the winner of Britain's Lowest Priced Supermarket Award for 13 years running, has given you the lowest price shopping, and can save you up to £864.24 a year

but i cant see any option to print a voucher ??? or havei got it wrong

cheers

What the Price Check is telling you is that you would have paid £6.98 more for your shopping at Tesco, £13.14 more from Sainsbury's, £7.71 more from Morrisons and £16.62 more at Waitrose. Asda were the cheapest (by at least 10%) so no voucher this time.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NEH wrote: »
    If your saying Asda has style....first time i've heard anyone say that...:rotfl:

People need to take into account as well with this that even if Asda does work out cheaper for them that they are also visiting Asda as it is the most convienent store otherwise you have to take petrol into account if your driving out of your way for such bargains...

I drive PAST Asda to get to Tesco, not because I love Tesco, but because if I want my kid to learn new swear words I'll let her do it in the playground, NOT at the local supermarket - maybe it's because of where it is, but my local Asda seems to be littered with people who look like addicts and large families in jogging bottoms who shout and swear at their kids...

Not saying it's not the other way round in other places, but I'll pay a little extra and go to Mr T's ( or our local Co-op to get their special offers)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure