Would a female feel vulnerable if alone ans stranded?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow... I've had an electrician, plasterer, 2 locksmiths and a carpenter around and not had any problems. I think you were pretty unlucky! My imaginary husband would not have followed either of those up either, but his imaginary wife might've had something to say about it!

Actually I just had an email from the insurance company addressed to "Mr Rosemary7391" - but I'm pretty sure that's just a typo :rotfl:

As a single woman I've found that tradesmen generally fall into one of two categories. They either get all manly and protective and want to look after 'the little lady', or they see an opportunity to exploit someone who they presume doesn't have the knowledge, understanding or balls to stand up to them.

No prizes for guessing which ones get more of my business and cups of tea, and which ones I see as fair game for a bit of sport. :rotfl:
  • flybynight
    flybynight Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I broke down recently outside work. A colleague moved her car and I got the jump leads out. We weren't in anyone's way, we weren't doing anything weird but we got abuse. A nice postman stopped to ask if we needed help but we were managing fine.

I've broken down 3 more times in 40 odd years of driving, one in a car park and I got shirty with rescue service as I had MIL in the car and she had terminal cancer so I wasn't impressed at waiting for hours. Once near a hotel where I had been attending a course, the RAC loaded my car up and drove me home. The last one was in a country lane and I got towed and that was an experience down narrow country lanes. I suppose I got irritated with the wait with two of them and I did want consideration for having a dying person (not relevant that it was a woman) in the car. I can honestly say I didn't feel vulnerable at all.
    having been stranded with a motorbike ( u don't even get a roof to keep the rain off) on snake pass and being told I wasn't classed as a vulnerable motorist, I still feel it should be done on vulnerability rather than gender, so for example you say as u did, that you have a poorly person in the car, I'm more than happy for the human being taking the call to go "hang on, we could do wiv them getting home a bit sharpish and flybynight and the most temperamnetl bike in the world can hang on another 15 mins" and use a bit of common dog. surely that is why we have people allotting these things, not machines?
    saving for more holidays
  • Pay_me
    Pay_me Posts: 173 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2017 at 8:42PM
    Options
    flybynight wrote: »
    having been stranded with a motorbike ( u don't even get a roof to keep the rain off) on snake pass and being told I wasn't classed as a vulnerable motorist, I still feel it should be done on vulnerability rather than gender, surely that is why we have people allotting these things, not machines?

I agree agree it should be case by case and not just a blanket women first etc.

About a month ago I broke down on a mountain pass in the Lakes. Due to no phone signal I had to walk to the nearest place with a landline to call the rescue guys. About 10 mins later 2 girls (mid 20s) walked in as they had also broken down just outside of the pub (ran out of petrol). They also made a phone call to the rescue services.

It was 11:20am on a weekday!! The rescue services appeared within 30 mins for the girls I had to wait for over 2 hours. I do not understand why they were prioritised over me that day. Neither of us were in any danger waiting in a country pub in the Lakes with about 50 other tourists of all ages. I feel that day it should have been 1st come 1st served.

As a bloke there are some situations I do not want to wait around for long in on my own. Some situations by all means prioritise others over me but there are some that I would be decidedly unhappy if I was left to wait just because I am a man. I have been assaulted by a complete stranger before just because he wanted a fight. I am no fighter, and actively try to avoid situations that might have even the slightest bit of aggro attached.
  • cool-dog
    cool-dog Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2017 at 8:52AM
    Options
    Men are statistically more likely to be a victim of violent crime than women, significantly more.
    Young men (18 to 25 I think) are the most likely.

If you have broken down in a car, if you feel vulnerable lock yourself in the car, everyone has a phone, if someone approaches you whilst waiting for recovery call the police, At least you have some protection provided by being locked in your car until the cops arrive, or hold your hand on the horn to get attention, most of the UK population is centred around towns etc so someone will come by.
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    I would feel vulnerable yes. And I'm certain that most people would too. We are only human.
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    to OP, if it's dark and secluded, yes, I might well feel vulnerable. I can't say whether I would feel more vulnerable than a man in the same situation, or indeed any other woman?

Cool-dog: The statistics about male/female victims of violent crime include all violent crimes, not just this situation (lone person, attacked by stranger opportunistically), so aren't necessarily that helpful
    here re who is more likely to actually be vulnerable rather than just feeling it: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/compendium/focusonviolentcrimeandsexualoffences/yearendingmarch2016/overviewofviolentcrimeandsexualoffences#what-is-happening-to-trends-for-different-types-of-violent-crime
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SueC wrote: »
    As a single woman I've found that tradesmen generally fall into one of two categories. They either get all manly and protective and want to look after 'the little lady', or they see an opportunity to exploit someone who they presume doesn't have the knowledge, understanding or balls to stand up to them.

No prizes for guessing which ones get more of my business and cups of tea, and which ones I see as fair game for a bit of sport. :rotfl:

Indeed! I wonder if mentioning my work puts off the latter from trying it on - physics tends to scare people, I'm not sure why...
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't drive so the likelihood of me breaking down alone is remote.

Husband and I have breakdown cover through a financial services provider. The chap there, when running through the benefits recently, specifically advised that if we broke down together I (as a woman) should be the one to make the call instead of my husband as the breakdown service would prioritise a call from me.

I think that's rather unfair but also probably incorrect as I'm sure they'd ask if I was alone and so I'd "lose" it anyway. I'd rather they went and got someone who actually was alone or ill.

My main concern would be the danger from traffic not from passing assailants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure