Thomas Sanderson

Options

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe those that are criticising merely wanted a cheap blind rather than a really good quality product from a highly reputable company.
    To be fair, most of the posts were about the sly sales methods rather than the blinds themselves.

Join date May 07, Post count 1. Anyway, how is working for Sandersons these days?
    ;-)
  • jenza8
    jenza8 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was a bit puzzled by some of the posts. We had Sanderson blinds after having other companies such as Hilarys and Appeal in and were stunned initially by the price but then we did what other contributors on here didn't do, we looked at what we got for our money. In comparison to the other two companies the quality of the material and the blind metal bits were 100% better. The sample blinds we were shown looked superb and the idea of it fitting into the window pane was intrigueing.The designer had travelled 60 miles but was patient and helpful, effectively helping us redesign our conservatory to be an extra room not just a sunny hot shed ( yes like most people we used it as a dumping ground. We delayed by a week our decision and regreted it as the material we had chosen had been sold out. When they were fitted we knew instantly that it had been worth the extra money. All our friends make comments on how nice they look and we know we spent our money wisely. Maybe those that are criticising merely wanted a cheap blind rather than a really good quality product from a highly reputable company. To those people I say maybe you should really shop in B&Q rather than moaning about quality companies doing more than a supermarket sale

If you took the time to read the posts carefully you would see that our problem wasn't really with the actual blinds, it was with the obnoxious, crude sales lady and her sales techniques. Making continuous comments of a sexual nature, swearing and lying do not suggest a high quality company to me. The fact that she felt she needed to make very negative comments about other companies with no evidence to back her up almost amounted to slander in my eyes.

Our sales 'lady' arrived almost an hour late for her appointment giving a variety of excuses all of which she managed to contradict within her time in our house. We explained that we would be going out later (as we had done when we made the appointment) and yet when it went past the time we were meant to be going out she still would not leave our house. She said that her manager expected her to be a customer's house for a set length of time. We pointed out that had she turned up when she should have done then she would have been at our house for long enough.

Our final issue was with the price quoted - the inital price of £4977 was dropped to £3077 after much fiddling with a calculator. It is this kind of approach that really annoys me. Why not just give the cost of the blinds and say that is the cost, take it or leave it. To drop the price by almost £2000 just suggests that they should never have been offered at the higher price anyway, it certainly does not make me think I have got a bargain.

To those of you who have a good experience with Thomas Sanderson, good for you, you obviously had a different sales lady to us (or don't mind people swearing their heads off and being vulgar in your home).

Edit - having just seen your user name (Booblover47) it must be the second reason! Have a nice day.
    Most recent wins: IPad, Jamie Magazine yearbook, Links of London friendship bracelet, Baumatic ice cream machine! :j
  • sconhead
    sconhead Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    i work in the blinds industry and thomas sanderson are known to be expensive and pushy within the trade.
    Our company and many others are members of the British Blinds And Shutters Association and have to work by there strict codes of practice if you need blinds check out there website for a member near you

http://www.bbsa.org.uk/
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • booblover47
    Options
    jenza8 If the lady was so rude swearing etc, why didnt you report her, I am sure that the company wouldnt have condoned it. Our designer could not have been more helpful, sounds like you had a bad apple that are always around in any company, the give away is the slagging off of other companies. Most salespeople will emphasise the differences without mentioning names.

As for the comment about working for them, quite incorrect dont assume that just because I posted a positive comment that this was the case, I believe in fairness, if the salesperson was that bad why didnt you complain rather than blogging. As for sconhead saying that they were a member of the British Blinds And Shutters Association,working to strict code of practices, I called several local members and most couldn't even be bothered to reply, those that did merely offered very basic quality products that I wasn't in the least bit impressed with. In conclusion, when are we going to realise in this country that you get what you pay for, are we becoming so American that cheap is all we know? I would rather spend twice the amount originally intended after assistance by a professional sales person doing their job well, who helped as create a really special place for my wife and I rather than boring cheap mess that would have resulted if I had a company that just gave me what I asked for without really listening to what I wanted to achieve.
  • booblover47
    Options
    jensa, the reason for the "booblover" title is not because I am vulgar or tolerate excessive swearing or vulgalrity, the reason is so that I can track that my nickname on these sort of sites is not used to bombard me with emails that I dont want. I couldnt come on here with my chosen identity as it had already been taken and "booblover" was the first slightly naughty and humourous ( you know the art of being funny, laughing etc) name that I could think of that hadn't already been taken. I wanted to be Biggles but that had already been taken by a cynic.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think what a lot of people object to with these pushy companies, like Thomas Sanderson and double glazing and alarm companies is the way that they will quote a high price, then say that they can get the customer a "special deal" and bring the price down if they sign up there and then. Why can't they be honest and quote a realistic price up-front instead of these rather dubious sale tactic where people think they are getting a bargain when they are not.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • rh1_3
    rh1_3 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Stay clear. All I did was ask for a brochure and was then hounded with sales follow ups. I eventually lost my cool and spoke to a manager.

Problem resolved !
  • jenza8
    jenza8 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    I think what a lot of people object to with these pushy companies, like Thomas Sanderson and double glazing and alarm companies is the way that they will quote a high price, then say that they can get the customer a "special deal" and bring the price down if they sign up there and then. Why can't they be honest and quote a realistic price up-front instead of these rather dubious sale tactic where people think they are getting a bargain when they are not.

I totally agree!
    jensa, the reason for the "booblover" title is not because I am vulgar or tolerate excessive swearing or vulgalrity, the reason is so that I can track that my nickname on these sort of sites is not used to bombard me with emails that I dont want. I couldnt come on here with my chosen identity as it had already been taken and "booblover" was the first slightly naughty and humourous ( you know the art of being funny, laughing etc) name that I could think of that hadn't already been taken. I wanted to be Biggles but that had already been taken by a cynic.

I apologise then, it just made me think of all the comments that the lady made!
    jenza8 If the lady was so rude swearing etc, why didnt you report her, I am sure that the company wouldnt have condoned it. Our designer could not have been more helpful, sounds like you had a bad apple that are always around in any company, the give away is the slagging off of other companies. Most salespeople will emphasise the differences without mentioning names.

We did, however we did not receive even a verbal apology, we were curtly told that they would look into it. In the many follow up calls we have received from them, including people calling to see what the service was like, noone has seemed interested in the behaviour of this lady.

When this was originally posted I received a private message from someone else who had had the same sales lady who had behaved in exactly the same way! At least I know it was not just me.
    In conclusion, when are we going to realise in this country that you get what you pay for, are we becoming so American that cheap is all we know? I would rather spend twice the amount originally intended after assistance by a professional sales person doing their job well, who helped as create a really special place for my wife and I rather than boring cheap mess that would have resulted if I had a company that just gave me what I asked for without really listening to what I wanted to achieve.

I have to agree with what you say above, the thing was, was that our sales lady did not listen to what we wanted at all e.g. I said I didn't want a patterned blind, she said she only had patterned and then after over an hour produced some plain blinds! We always consider the quality of a product before purchasing it and are incredibly happy with our blinds, they do the job that we needed them for (blocking out heat) and also look great, but they are not from Thomas Sanderson, not because I don't think that Thomas Sanderson have quality products, but because I would never purchase from a company with the ethics and service that they provided for us.
    As for the comment about working for them, quite incorrect dont assume that just because I posted a positive comment that this was the case, I believe in fairness, if the salesperson was that bad why didnt you complain rather than blogging.
    I didn't make that comment but thank you for clearing that up. I would also post a positive comment if I had a good experience with a company when someone else was complaining about them, you are right, it is good to be fair.
    Most recent wins: IPad, Jamie Magazine yearbook, Links of London friendship bracelet, Baumatic ice cream machine! :j
  • petet41
    Options
    The quality of their product is great

However the sales people are pushy, thats their job.

Delivery was slow, but installed quick once they had the awning

Mine went wrong after 7 days and after 2 weeks of lies from Sanderson is still not repaired, or even been looked at

Buyer Beware!!:confused:
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    petet41 wrote: »
    The quality of their product is great

However the sales people are pushy, thats their job.

Delivery was slow, but installed quick once they had the awning

Mine went wrong after 7 days and after 2 weeks of lies from Sanderson is still not repaired, or even been looked at

Buyer Beware!!:confused:

I can't understand where you say that the quality of their product is great and then it goes wrong after 7 days. What did they give you , a 48 hour guarantee? And then you say they after sales-service seems to be non-existent. :question:
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback