Thomas Sanderson

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found this thread as I had a telephone call from a number that I didn't recognise, but turned out to be Sanderson.
    We chose their blinds some 14 years ago a year after the installation of our conservatory, realising that blinds were essential if we wanted to use the conservatory.
    Sanderson's framework fitted unobtrusively. (I'm sure others do now). Pretty much all of the salesmen that I have ever met use the same patter, which I disregard. They must all go to the same school!
    Obviously there is a considerable mark up that pays for the advertising and the payment made to you if you recommend someone else to have the blinds.
    I contacted Sanderson as I needed a new pole because old tenants had disposed of it. For a very reasonable price, Sanderson had someone come around to service and clean the blinds, which was very useful as some were sagging and I couldn't remember how to adjust them.
    Sanderson also told me that should we wish to change the blinds, they would offset the cost of the original set against the new ones. We declined as they were still in good condition, despite not being maintained by ten years of tenants.
    For me, they have been very good value for money. However, I think that I also negotiated a price that we were happy with at the time.
    I have no affiliation to Sanderson. Just a happy customer.
    But you are a builder
  • Sales
    Sales Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 27 October 2017 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Thomas Sanderson is owned by HD Group (Hunter Douglas), and you can buy their materials under a number of branded names here in the UK. What you are paying for when you buy your blinds is mostly the brand name. They believe they have a brand at Thomas Sanderson, and this is mostly because of the assumption that there is a link to Sanderson, who make fabrics and curtains and wallpapers. There is no link at all, and it makes it a very clever marketing ploy.

The Designers are not designers at all, they are commission-only salespeople,who are whipped up in to a frenzy each month about how to charge more and more and more to make more commission for themselves. They have to pay for their own vehicles, their own fuel, and of course they are not paid for their time. The commission is so generous, that many of them will forget all of their morals to taste the gold which has been promised by the wealthy owners.

The model is so dated now, that it relies on clueless gullible customers who will pay double, triple, or quadruple the actual value of the products because they bought them from a recently-made friend. Once you’ve invested a crazy amount on strips of generic material, or basic wooden shutters, it is natural to defend that investment, because otherwise you have to admit you’re an idiot, and no-one likes to do that .... even though we’ve all done it at some point.

Once your newly-made friend has left your home, the chances of you buying them at the price offered is almost zero, and Thomas Sanderson know this. They must pounce quickly, and with an unbelievable offer. Some of the stories you will hear to justify these huge discounts are cringeable. Because their initial margin is so high, there is plenty to play with. Keep chipping away at that huge profit margin until no-one below Director level in the company is going to be paid anything despite them doing all the work, and the deal goes through with a normal margin anyway. As a customer, you probably now have the deal you should have - it will be approximately 20% of the original price quoted, and approximately 40% of the last price you were quoted before your “friend” left without an order. The problem with this sales model is that the initial quotation has to be completely absurd, and is usually more than the price of the conservatory. The training provides you with techniques to hold your cool, and to maintain eye contact while delivering this figure. A significant pause needs to be left to enable you to realise that you cannot afford them. Then the discounts start, and you start to realise that you can afford them, and your desire for the product grows. If you fall for any of the tactics used while they’re in your home (recommended visit duration is 2+ hours), you should do so in the knowledge that every level of the company will now be earning big bonuses, you are funding fantastic cars (not the car they turn up in, they are careful not to show up in their main car, because it will be nicer than yours!), amazing conference locations around the world, and homes that most of you would not believe. Once you get to 20% of the original “full price before discount” quote, you are still going to receive the same product and now at a realistic price. If you’re not happy or willing to go through the process to get to the bottom price, or if you will cave in to sales pressure on the day of your appointment, and if you are not literally rolling in cash with no idea of how to spend it, then you’re being ripped off on price, but will have a decent product to show for it.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    CCB2014 wrote: »
    We found you always get sales issues with National companies like this, where the salesperson doesnt really understand the products. we live in spamtown and called out spam and they were excellent, affordable and no gimmicks, the same person also came back to install the Blinds

And you signed up just to tell us this. Thank you for taking the time.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CCB2014 wrote: »
    We found you always get sales issues with National companies like this, where the salesperson doesnt really understand the products. we live in Gloucestershire and called out Cotswold Country Blinds and they were excellent, affordable and no gimmicks, the same person also came back to install the Blinds
    User name initials :rotfl:
  • LordCrowe
    Options
    I have seen this thread and recently bought a property with Thomas Sanderson blinds fitted.  A couple have come away at the bottom and all need to be cleaned behind (flies, debris, etc.) but apparently I need a "slide tensioner handle" to be able to access (which I cannot locate, clearly been lost over the last 10 or so years since installation).  Thomas Sanderson say that the current blinds don't need such a thing so no longer manufacture the handle - does anybody out there have one I can buy/borrow.  I'm glad I didn't spend thousands on blinds only to discover that a change to manufacturing process means that the blinds are now unserviceable.  Shocking service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback