Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Options
    Glad to see this thread, I'd like to join in. After 15 years of zero exercise and being 3 stone overweight I decided rather than join a gym I'll never go to, to try c25k.
    I got a mp3 for Christmas and that's when I started. I did week 5 run 2 yesterday and was shocked that I could jog for 8 mins. I jog very very slow but the fact I didn't stop was a big achievement for me. Very nervous about the next run week 5 run 3. its 20 mins running. Seems a big leap. I don't think I can manage it. Why the huge increase?!
    Also - anyone watched video blogs on YouTube? Everyone I've seen seems to complete each week quite easily! I've found it a bit demoralizing.... Good luck to everyone doing this. I still can't see running ever being fun but will stick with it and see. Better than the zero exercise many of us did previously.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Fireflyaway good effort so far. Things may seem like big jumps but once you are up and running, extending time/distance is (relatively) much easier. Hardest is getting going in the first place.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Managed to finish week 2 run 2 but still have run 3 to do...debating doing it shortly but as lame excuse as it sounds I have a bite on my leg and it really is killing rubbing against clothing but I've put a plaster on it now. If I don't do it today, I'll do it tomorrow and just catch up in the week.

I guess it seems like a big jump but after 4-5 weeks of running this is what it has been building you up to? Hope it goes well interested to know how you get on.

Really am trying to diet but it's so hard being as it's half term this week, been out and about so much and eating out but have been trying to make up for it ...yesterday we had mcdonalds for lunch so for tea I had soup and bread.

Hope all is going well, fingers crossed I can get the last run done now :)
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just completed week 2...admitly 3 days late. The plan Monday was to do week 2 / s3 (as I didn't get to it on the Sunday) but I woke up aching all over - most likey from all the walking over weekend and I did a couple shoot Sunday so I was carrying heavy gear and lying on the floor and all sorts so didn't want to push myself and Tuesday I just didn't find time...

But despite doing 10k steps today in walking I pushed forward and will start week 3 tomorrow or Friday if I feel rough...better then people sitting on the couch though ey..!
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firefly, don't think about what other people are doing, we all face our own challenges :)
    Don't worry about the leap to 20 minutes either, once you've done 8 minutes you KNOW you can do you're nearly half way there and once you pass half way you might as well carry on ;)
    Speed is not important, that will change as you do more.
    Remember you can repeat a day if you want, when I did it, there were days when I asked myself why I ever thought I'd be able to run and others that I seemed to get through really easily. But I definitely repeated lots of days and even weeks before moving on. You'll get there. You've achieved a lot already, keep going :)
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    How's everyone's running gone this weekend? Just did week 5 run 2 and it went pretty well. Big one next though!
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • speakingofart
    Options
    Glad to see this thread, I'd like to join in. After 15 years of zero exercise and being 3 stone overweight I decided rather than join a gym I'll never go to, to try c25k.
    I got a mp3 for Christmas and that's when I started. I did week 5 run 2 yesterday and was shocked that I could jog for 8 mins. I jog very very slow but the fact I didn't stop was a big achievement for me. Very nervous about the next run week 5 run 3. its 20 mins running. Seems a big leap. I don't think I can manage it. Why the huge increase?!
    Also - anyone watched video blogs on YouTube? Everyone I've seen seems to complete each week quite easily! I've found it a bit demoralizing.... Good luck to everyone doing this. I still can't see running ever being fun but will stick with it and see. Better than the zero exercise many of us did previously.

I know, right? I've also got w5r3 to do tomorrow and I'm psyching myself out purely because of the big jump it'll involve. Surely there should be a couple of 10 minute runs in between 8 and 20? :rotfl:
    Proud to be debt free September 2014. :j

Sisu.
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firefly, Fetch and Speaking, how did you get on with your dreaded W5R3?
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Hey there,

W5R3 actually went really well, did the full 20 minutes with no issues. Then on Sunday is did W6R1 and it was horrible, barely got round.

Annoyingly, I think I need to accept that I'm an evening runner and that running first thing does me no favours. Not keen on evening running on the weekends, but as the weather gets better should be able to do more after work.

How did everyone else get on?
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all - total newbie joining in. I used to do a bit of running when staying away with work 20+ years ago (to help burn off all that food and drink on expenses) but haven't done anything for ages. Started Zumba (Gold - so the lower impact one) back in Nov. Have been putting off C25K for ages - no real reasons, just excuses - so today I did W1, r1 - and it killed me! :D It's going to be a loooong journey for me, but one I want to complete :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport