Car insurance successes stories

Options

Comments

• Aitch7
    Aitch7 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I think I may be missing the point here so excuse my asking but....

i don't understand how you are getting the cheapest quote from one of the price comparison sites and then also running it through sites such as Quidco resulting in very very low prices?

I have done the price comparison sites all of which were disappointing - I have no idea why a small peugeot 3rd party fire and theft for an employed single person with over 9 years ncd should be around £250.

But what I really want to know is how you are combining all of the methods??

Thanks! best wishes aitch7
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • sylviesinc
    sylviesinc Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I first went to a comparison site to get my cheapest and best quote which was from Asda, but I did not buy it then. I went into Topcashback and bought it through them. I got the same price plus £73 cashback.
  • nemoo
    nemoo Posts: 57 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    A slightly different perspective on this whole money saving technique but I'm not sure how it would've been had I gone through cash back/loyalty points route.

When my insurance came up for renewal the 1st renewal quote by then current provider was around £500. However, via on-line comparison, the cheapest I could find was around £389 with fewer benefits and quite a restrictive contact process.

Armed with that info, the first call to the provider got the initial quote reduced to £475. I left a few days gap and called them back to complain that they were still too expensive and was then put through to a 2nd tier team who were able to cut it down to £410.

Although I wish that they could have reduced it further I was just glad that I didn't have to go through various avenues to get the best saving on-line and moreover, didn't have to rely on the "not so always reliable cash back" via a cash back site. My experience is that it's a bit of a hit or miss depending on one's luck.

moral of my story is that it always pays to persevere with the current insurer before looking further afield or do both in parallel.

-n

ps// existing insurer quote via comparison site was way above the final amount I paid :confused:. Goes to show the inflated premiums these companies quote in an attempt to get awaywith...:naughty:

Another lesson I learnt was that never repair a chip in the windscreen unless it's absolutely necessary as my misinformed :embarasse windscreen repairs carried out last year (does not affect the NCD/excess but will be included in one's claims history) made me ineligible with some good insurers.:mad:
  • I_like_saving_2
    Options
    I insured my Jeep Grand Cherokee with AA last year, it was an upgrade from my previous car and I think it totaled £385.00 for comprehensive for the year. I got the renewal notice before Christmas at £869.12 ! After I picked myself up from the floor at a premium stated to be 'Deal Checker Approved' from over 20 quotes, I took Martin's advice and followed the Car Insurance tips.

I had a little knock in my car so thought that was why the premium was sooo high, but over double? I declared the incident (which was my fault) but apart from that I have over 15 years of claim free driving. My renewal stated that I only have 2 years NCD now which I have proof of.

The upshot of it is I have changed my policy to Elephant.co.uk which quoted me £379 I called to renew to ensure that it was all in order, they knew about my accident etc etc.

So I saved £490 by following Martin's method of deal checking and paid £6 less than 08' with less NCD, Result!
  • cheery_emma
    Options
    I just renewed my car insurance with Diamond.
    I checked the comparison sites and saw the best quote for £280 with Sheila's Wheels (I'm 23, and have only been driving a few years). My renew form with Diamond came through the next day with a quote for £595 (last year it was £850!). I called them up straight away and asked them to go through my quote. They said they could lower it to £400, but I mentioned that I could still do better by going through someone else. After the operator 'talked to his manager', they offered me £300 - fully comp, with car hire etc...

So I knocked them down and 'saved' nearly £300. :j

Though the Sheila's Wheels quote was £20 cheaper, I read online reviews and the comments about them weren't fantastic. I have had no problems with Diamond with regards to repairing a chip in my windscreen, adding a friend to my policy straightaway while their car was off the road (was done in minutes, and they quoted me different time lengths which would be cheaper for me to do), and they changed my surname over the phone when I got married (no forms and numerous identity checks) so am more than happy to be with them again. :D
  • .com_loverlee
    Options
    Using confused.com, I was quoted £126.81 for comprehensive insurance by Co-operative Insurance Services on March 8th this year.
    CIS were listed by Quidco as offering £120 cashback...... so I took up the offer through Quidco.
    The cashback didn't track, so I started a Quidco enquiry, and CIS approved the £120 on June 16th.
    Quidco says, "once you've had a successful enquiry, you should receive the cashback approximately 3 to 4 months after the date the transaction is added."

Fingers crossed.... my year's comprehensive car insurance will eventually have cost....

£6.81

This has been great fun.
    THANK YOU, MARTIN !!!!!
    :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
    YES!
    Quidco paid out today! £120!
    so one year's fully comprehensive car insurance for £6.81 !
    wow!
    THANK YOU, MARTIN !

....hang on - I forgot the egg cashback:rotfl: that's another 1% = £1.26

so one year's fully comprehensive car insurance for £5.55 !

might not be a recordbreaker - but I'm thrilled to bits!
    :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options

so one year's fully comprehensive car insurance for £5.55 !
    might not be a recordbreaker - but I'm thrilled to bits!

:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j

If £5.55 for a year fully comp ain't the best...what is? I thought the record was £24?
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • remay_uk
    Options
    I just switched insurers. I followed the instructions in your main site article on Car In surance, and reduced my renewal from £921 (Tesco) to £450 (Admiral). When I spoke to Tesco their "customer retention" department agreed that they could reduce their quote from £921 to £680, already a huge discount, but the best I could find was Admiral at £450, for a slightly better package (IMHO).

I can't get over the fact that this less than half the price reduction, and am now a convert who will invest the 1-2 hours needed to do this every year.

Many thanks for the advice - I owe you a couple of beers :beer:.

Rob.
  • eth_2
    Options
    Was gunning for Emmonks record for paying the least for car insurance-in this case for my wife.
    swinton accepted quote of £ 111.97 Fully Comp.
    Cash back of £ 55- due from topcashback
    Also discount voucher for £ 40- if purchasing swinton ins. online
    Net £ 16.97
    Will confirm (or not) once cashback transaction complete.
    Not bad for 1st time using cashback !!!
  • CardinalTobe
    Options
    Hi folks,

Co-op are giving a massive £75 cash back through topcashback, therefore my premium (for my little rover mini) - even with 1 non fault accident and my partners speeding ticket was £76 for the year.

Worth trawling the finance section in the cashback sites after getting your results on the screen scrapers.

CardinalTobe
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure