Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    randm wrote: »
    my insurance policy states that all windows are to be locked at night except in an occupied bedroom. is this the same with all insurers? surely I am not the only one who has the bathroom window open in the summer to let fresh air flow through.

Generally this only applies if you live in a high risk area eg a city and / or you have a high sum insured for contents / valuables or you were stupid enough to apply for a security discount.

The answer is to shop around
  • charlieheard
    charlieheard Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 2 June 2015 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Just investigated the Post Office's "Beat renewal by £50" offer. Existing buildings insurance renewal cost £65.72, and the Post Office quoted £90-ish, but I'll be getting it for £15.72 from them now
    :money:
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • dacouch
    Options
    Just investigated the Post Office's "Beat renewal by £50" offer. Existing buildings insurance renewal cost £65.72, and the Post Office quoted £90-ish, but I'll be getting it for £15.72 from them now
    :money:

Unfortunately you've ended up with a policy from BISL, google them or search MSE to see the reputation they have.

The Insurer they use is generally not a great Insurer (BISL are a broker not an Insurer).

They will invite renewal at the £90ish next year so be ready to shop around and transfer yourself to a decent Insurer
  • Teddyg_2
    Options
    Can anybody help on this, I was cold called by a company yesterday that stated that I had been overcharged on my life cover as life expectancy had gone up since taking it out. They started to explain that they could help me reclaim the overpayment. I have found nothing on this on Google either confirming this or stating it is a scam, just nothing any ideas.
  • Cate53
    Cate53 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Like many lazy people, I let my home buildings and contents renew for years as it is just easier. However, after saving with the cheap,energy club, and receiving a renewal note for £464 I had a look at the offers here. The Age UK one on the main page got me a quote of £230 and with an £85 M&S voucher! However they don't offer home emergency cover so I went with Tesco. Exactly the same as my current insurer Nationwide all for £256. Rang nationwide to see if they could match - could only get down to a pretty pathetic £424.

Anyway, around an hour online just saved me over £200! :j:j:j
  • dacouch
    Options
    Teddyg wrote: »
    Can anybody help on this, I was cold called by a company yesterday that stated that I had been overcharged on my life cover as life expectancy had gone up since taking it out. They started to explain that they could help me reclaim the overpayment. I have found nothing on this on Google either confirming this or stating it is a scam, just nothing any ideas.

It would be better if you start your own thread.

But the golden rule of anything is do not buy anything where you're cold called.

I assume they're asking you to pay them money up front
  • Teddyg_2
    Options
    I didn't let them get that far, I said "Thanks for that, I will ring them" and I hung up. Just wondered if anyone had heard of assurance companies refunding overpayment on life policies. Thanks though:beer:
  • Mumfo77
    Mumfo77 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    My dad recently passed away and my mum asked if I could take over the finances as this was something that my dad usually looked after. They received building and contents cover separately from two different insurers and have been loyal customers of both since the late 1990's. I was horrified to find out that they were paying £874 for building insurance alone!! When I queried the reason behind this price I was told that the particular policy they had (Zurich Solutions) was no longer on sale to new customers only existing customers. I was also given the excuse of 'Well we never claim to be the cheapest insurer and they had legal expenses cover, temporary accommodation and accidental cover which is why they are paying more. Roughly £700 more than most people pay for buildings and contents cover combined!! Come on!! My parents were 74 and 79 years of age with no access to Internet for price comparison. Being of old school age they naively believed that they were loyal customers and as so would be offered the best price so therefore had no reason to doubt the price they were asked to pay each renewal. I was told quite sternly by the complaints operative that they are not a broker or a price comparison site and as such they merely take a premium from the previous year and add 20% to it which is in line with their guidelines. I have since cancelled both policies and taken up a new policy covering both buildings and contents insurance for less than £200 with Sainsburys Insurance which, may I say we're absolutely fantastic when dealing with my mum. I urge people that have elderly friends or relatives please find out what insurers they are with and how much they are paying for their insurance as I would hate to see any other elderly people expoited in this manner, it's disgusting. I felt sick to think that over the years they have been ripped off. Thank you.
  • LottieLou
    LottieLou Posts: 189 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2015 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Mumfo77 wrote: »
    My dad recently passed away and my mum asked if I could take over the finances as this was something that my dad usually looked after. They received building and contents cover separately from two different insurers and have been loyal customers of both since the late 1990's. I was horrified to find out that they were paying £874 for building insurance alone!! When I queried the reason behind this price I was told that the particular policy they had (Zurich Solutions) was no longer on sale to new customers only existing customers. I was also given the excuse of 'Well we never claim to be the cheapest insurer and they had legal expenses cover, temporary accommodation and accidental cover which is why they are paying more. Roughly £700 more than most people pay for buildings and contents cover combined!! Come on!! My parents were 74 and 79 years of age with no access to Internet for price comparison. Being of old school age they naively believed that they were loyal customers and as so would be offered the best price so therefore had no reason to doubt the price they were asked to pay each renewal. I was told quite sternly by the complaints operative that they are not a broker or a price comparison site and as such they merely take a premium from the previous year and add 20% to it which is in line with their guidelines. I have since cancelled both policies and taken up a new policy covering both buildings and contents insurance for less than £200 with Sainsburys Insurance which, may I say we're absolutely fantastic when dealing with my mum. I urge people that have elderly friends or relatives please find out what insurers they are with and how much they are paying for their insurance as I would hate to see any other elderly people expoited in this manner, it's disgusting. I felt sick to think that over the years they have been ripped off. Thank you.

This is really disgusting of Zurich!! I would seriously consider doing an official complaint in writing to them, see how they respond. It really is a ridiculous amount of money.

Just in case it has not been mentioned already on here already, if anyone looking to get building and contents insurance and they are a British Gas customer I would recommend you look into them. They are currently offering free contents cover when you take out buildings insurance (but still make sure you select building and contents).

The discount is added, the quote may still be slightly higher than you could get for just buildings cover, I recommend still checking to make sure but if you need both then it is a winning situation.

Remember to also click through topcashback as they are offering £70 cash back on this policy too.

I did a quote with them for a standard 3 bed semi, they covered building and contents above what we needed (no choice to change these down only up) noise alarm, mortise deadlock doors/lockable windows, no accidental cover, no very expensive items, £100 excess, 1years previous contents cover only and it came to £101 :j so with cash back £31

Only trouble is, I am not a BG customer so can't take it out :(:( but my nana is so I will be making sure she gets one herself! The next cheapest I am finding for the same house with other providers is just over £100 more
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Direct Line renewal was £930! A discussion with them reduced it to £860. Cancelled that and moved to Admiral platinum for £333.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback