I've quit everything. Now what ?

Options

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Hi AC. Please don't buy the stereo. Get yourself moved in, get your debts paid off then see where you are. You've had new iPad and new iPhone in the last couple of months - did you also get the iMac? I'm really worried that you are displaying some bad habits that got you into debt in the first place. A stereo is not essential right now. You have TV etc in storage and music on your apple devices which can stream to a £100 Bluetooth speaker if need be. This is crazy spending. Justifying it by saying you've saved elsewhere ( by negotiating on debts, spending less on bathroom etc) is not really saving when you don't have a budget.

I really would plead with you to write to your creditors (better than let payplan do it) and try to negotiate and pay off the debts. I'm worried you are thinking you will get amazing full and finals and you might not. I do struggle with the idea of getting discounts on debts you've run up only to use that "saving" on some extravagant gadgets. Sorry if that causes offence, none intended but I personally struggle with it.

I agree with all the above, move in first, pay your debts second, THEN and only then, start considering replacing things you already have and only if really needed as opposed to desired.
    Hi copperjar :)

Ive been careful so far. Ive still got furniture in storage.
    Unfortunately, i will have to buy wardrobes shelving and storage.
    This flat has absolutely no storage and is a bargain for a reason.

Do yourself a favour and go look in the British Heart Foundation shop before you commit to more big ticket stuff from a department store.

Seems to me you have a habit of taking the easy path with things like stuff for the new flat and Payplan, whereas a bit of extra work could save you £100s (or £1000s in the case of your debts).
    I also think you should write to your creditors separately AC to see if they will accept lower. I don't think payplan has power to accept full and finals.

Agreed, being proactive will get better results than just sitting back and letting things run their course, AC you're fast approaching 6 months since you realised your asset in London which was principally to clear your debts and make a new start - one of those has had no progress whatsoever.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another one who seconds the advice given by all above.

You have one thing I envy AC - you have TIME. I am still plugging away at the dreary 9 - 5, 5 days a week and have to squeeze in any personal stuff I need to do. You have plenty of time to contact your creditors and sort out budgets, costs for living etc.,
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of good advice given here AC, which I second, third, fourth...whatever. All except the teeth whitening dare that it! I had a friend who had hers done to a mega-dazzling whiteness which, coupled with her penchant for quite dark spray tans, meant that all you really saw of her was her teeth (exactly like Ross in Friends - one of the funniest episodes ever). I do feel a lot of dentists seem to just be in the business of selling you treatment these days. Mine keeps asking if the stain on one of my bottom teeth bothers me - he can remove it for a couple of hundred. Well, as I wasn't aware of it until he mentioned it then no - it doesn't really bother me. I decided against the denture he offered me for the back teeth I had to have removed the other year as I think it would just irritate me to have something in my mouth permanently. Most people I have spoken to don't get on with theirs and at a cost of "around £600" I thought it might end up being an expensive ornament.
    Re debts - I think you should definitely prioritise getting your budget sorted out as soon as possible and write to the creditors yourself. Having helped youngest DD a bit with her debts lately I think Stepchange (who she is with) were great in the first few months when she felt her whole world had come crashing down and felt she couldn't tell me. But I can see ways of getting things paid off a bit quicker - and yes, maybe negotiating a discount if possible although I agree it is a bit of a moral dilemma - but Stepchange just advise her to keep going as she is.
    Gardening day today as the weather has perked up a bit from yesterday.
    By the way - I do like Dwell units but you can get a similar look with IKEA stuff, and flat packs really aren't that difficult.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 May 2017 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Okay, okay .. I promise to behave myself :)
    It may seem that I have time . At things stand , that is not the case.
    I've just been to the dentist . All fillings done ! I thought that the hygienist appointment would be next week. No, I have a Friday appointment .
    This means my painting is put back . I have until next weds to have flat painted . I have edf visiting anytime from 12-4pm . Tomorrow is when I start painting . Then sat , although James will be there a m

Speaking of James: he has done the kitchen . I have to paint that .
    Not too impressed with the sink. Taps are ok though.
    He put himself out for me . Waiting for the bill .

Regarding dmp. Payplan will contact me in the first week of June .
    I'm trying not to overload myself , so I will wait for them .
    I may try to contact the creditors direct . I have to book removal co, but not sure when I'm ready . Technically I'm due out of this flat on 29/30may
    But being a bank holiday weekend, it's probably best to have that done a few days before.
    Back to the dentist : I have enquired about bridge/ implant and I haven't been told when to see them about that . I was told they would go through alll the options with me .

So no more expensive things for me . Let's forget about the stereo and move on . :)
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What's wrong with the sink?
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    What's wrong with the sink?

Not very deep . Looks a bit cheap
  • dreaming
    Options
    Not very deep . Looks a bit cheap

This is what happens when you leave everything up to the tradesman. You should have specified exactly what you wanted (e.g. deep sink/double or single drainer etc.) and that is where I would be prepared to spend a little more to get what I want.

You may have a good "rapport" with James but he can't be expected to read your mind or have exactly the same taste as you do. Can it be changed?

By the way I was thinking about what you said re flat having no storage. A great time to seriously downsize your possessions so you only keep what is essential. Then the storage issues won't be so pressing.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    This is what happens when you leave everything up to the tradesman. You should have specified exactly what you wanted (e.g. deep sink/double or single drainer etc.) and that is where I would be prepared to spend a little more to get what I want.

You may have a good "rapport" with James but he can't be expected to read your mind or have exactly the same taste as you do. Can it be changed?

By the way I was thinking about what you said re flat having no storage. A great time to seriously downsize your possessions so you only keep what is essential. Then the storage issues won't be so pressing.

I did say , like for like but I guess it was a case of the supplier he uses not having the normal type. Taps are fine . It's all moulded in , so I'll leave it . At least I won't be untidy , and start leaving things in the sink .

I've downsized a fair bit when moving . I have a feeling that there is not much stuff left. The Pilates machine shouldn't have come with me. A 99p eBay sale will get rid of it
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about using the pilates machine and saving on gym membership?
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • dreaming
    Options
    It's all moulded in , so I'll leave it . At least I won't be untidy , and start leaving things in the sink .

Wanna bet??
    I've downsized a fair bit when moving . I have a feeling that there is not much stuff left. The Pilates machine shouldn't have come with me. A 99p eBay sale will get rid of it

You will be surprised. I thought I was queen of de-cluttering and I still find myself getting rid of stuff which just won't fit in. I would guess my bungalow is about the same size as your flat (although I do have a kitchen-diner). Plus I have 2 garden sheds. I try to stick to the 1 thing in, 1 thing out, mindset but books are a different matter.

Back is aching now but I do have some peas and beans planted and carrots sown. Salad stuff next then a long sit down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure