Changing digs and coming out of my cave... for a wee while atleast :)

elantan
elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 December 2013 at 8:49PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hey all,

( looks round at my new home) well this is nice and cosy:T, i'm usually to be found on the dfw board, but thought maybe it was time to move on over to here. I'm still on our 100 month challenge and it is looking as if we will achieve our goals :)

I have had diaries for a while now and some of you have been following me on my journey ( thank you ) i will put the links in here when i can find them :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

However, i tend to go walkabout every now and then and disappear off the face of the mse planet, and i have no doubt i will do again, it's not that i have given up or anything, its because i like to retreat into my warm cosy cave and have some me time :)

things are moving forward for us debt wise the mortgage is slowly coming down, the savings very slowly going up, although technically speaking that isn't exactly true as recently we have been on some sort of spending spree, it started before we went to Turkey and as of yet it we havn't stopped and wont stop for a wee while yet.

anyway mortgage is slowly coming down and we are in the middle of a planning phase.

hope you will join me on the latest part of our journey

chapter no 1
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3071580&highlight=elantan

chapter no 2
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3688361&highlight=elantan

chapter no 3
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4473857&highlight=elantan

not that it is incredibly interesting but it might be good to look over one day :)

Comments

• skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Welcome!:beer: I'm sure I've seen you around somewhere...

How many months have you got left now? Must be coming down?
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• elantan
    Welcome!:beer: I'm sure I've seen you around somewhere...

How many months have you got left now? Must be coming down?

your name seems familiar as well for some reason :D

i have 66 months left, so just over 1/3 of the way there now... have to admit i have been surprised by a few things

a) how fast the time flies
    b) how having a plan and working at it can make a difference
    c) how all the wee small things mount up ( those tilly tidies can make such an amazing difference)
    d) how working at the issue from more than one direction can really speed things up ... ie starting savings and tackling the debt at the same time helps me meet in the middle

really wish you were going this weekend Skinty .... like REALLY wish you were going
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    elantan wrote: »
    really wish you were going this weekend Skinty .... like REALLY wish you were going

Really wish I was too but working every sat & sun til Christmas now:( (or :D in :money:sense). I shall be with you all in spirit and will raise a wee glass to you while I'm out with my pal locally on sat night:beer: I need all the gossip and lots of photos please.

Maybe we could catch up in new year?
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• elantan
    would love to ... i miss your smiling face :) ... and obviously the croc discussions :)
  • elantan
    so... we got our letter in from virgin regarding the price going up... hubby and i sat down and had a good chat ... actually this chat has been going on for a long time now ...

do we watch tv? do we use the phone? you know the usual... we have decided to get rid of the tv and phone ... we dont watch tv ... thats not to say it is never on ... cause the truth of the fact is it is never off ... but we dont watch it ... its background noise, used as a distraction and nothing else

with the phone ... out of 30 phone calls we get 29 are for PPI, solar panels, boilers etc so the one call we do get thats important to us could be done by mobile

we will be also doing away with the tv license but will be watching dvd's and the occasional ( very occasional) catch up tv programme...

we have worked out that we will save £500 a year

thats a lot of money that can be used for other things

it will take us a wee while to get used to not having the distraction about, but i am looking forward to more time reading, chatting, cooking etc ...

it might help to have some other morning distraction, so i am thinking maybe of getting a wee DAB radio for the living room... cant decide though
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi El. Great to have you backed-you've been missed Hun.
    Looking forward to reading more posts from you. Xx
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • elantan
    Hey tatty, I missed you too ... And appreciate the PM's :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Wobbles in doing wheelies ;) :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • elantan
    I'm looking forward to our wheelie big adventure at the weekend :)

Mr el has promised tablet ... Skinty will be annoyed :(

Can't wait to catch up again beanie :)
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    elantan wrote: »
    i

we will be also doing away with the tv license but will be watching dvd's and the occasional ( very occasional) catch up TV
    it might help to have some other morning distraction, so i am thinking maybe of getting a wee DAB radio for the living room... cant decide though

Elantan, I decided to go without a TV when ours packed up about 8 years ago & don't miss it at all! Most programmes are available as catch-up and companies like Netflix & Love Film are always offering 30 day free trials etc - we tend to time signing up for when we have hols over the wintertime (or we're desperate to watch the final part of Breaking Bad). Radio is good too, surprising number of stations on DAB, you're sure to find some suitable distractions ... you might even find yourselves around the fire, listening to the "wireless" of an evening like us, very old style but satisfying from the money side of things! Good luck with it!
    *subscribes to follow your TV free adventures with interest*
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure