PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Would you or do you wash........

Options
rufydoofyM
rufydoofyM Posts: 545 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 17 February 2015 at 6:07PM in Old style MoneySaving
My mum bought my attention to a newspaper article this morning and it made me think about my own habbits:o Mum is very conscientious and paticular, but even she was laughing about the suggentions put forward.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2940230/Why-wash-bras-two-days-clean-phone-daily-disgusting-truth-hygiene-habits.html

How often do you wash bras, bedding and clothing etc ?

My personal hygiene is good and I ensure things are clean around the house. I don't believe in anti bacterial products as a rule other than soap in the bathroom for handwashing and toilet and bathroom cleaner. I clean with ordinary soap and water and refuse to fall for marketing that tells me I need extra products to make my home and things to feel soft or smell nice, afterall it costs. I feel much of what is marketed is just profiteering from the fearmongering of people regarding germs etc.
Without bacteria our immune systems have nothing to fight and strengthen for when we really need them.

According to the newpaper article I must be a terrible and manky person yet that certainly is not the case. We are pretty healthy and I have just had my first cold in about 7 years and certainly haven't suffered any nasties from avoiding anti bacterial products or wearing stuff longer than recommended.

I certainly do not wash my bra every 2 days and bedding stays on the bed up to 4 weeks (occasionally longer when I forget) depending on the time of year. As for clothing it depends on how long it has been worn and what activity I've been doing. Tops are given the sniff test and bottoms I use my common sense.

When mum was growing up they had a bath once a week with daily strip washes and had old fashioned cleaning stuff that did the job and cost little. I think that the obscession with cleaning and germs is spoiling so many areas of life. Children are prevented from being free and developing a healthy immune system for their future because of the clever marketing and profiteering, it makes me both sad and angry.

What do you think, am I manky or not ?
How often do you clean, change or wash stuff ?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• sidefx
    sidefx Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    rufydoofyM wrote: »
    I certainly do not wash my bra every 2 days and bedding stays on the bed up to 4 weeks (occasionally longer when I forget) depending on the time of year. As for clothing it depends on how long it has been worn and what activity I've been doing. Tops are given the sniff test and bottoms I use my common sense.

What do you think, am I manky or not ?

Four Weeks!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

_pale__pale__pale_
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bedding and bath towels changed every week, hand towels every couple of days, underwear/socks every day.. I'd wear a top 2/3 times and jeans longer.. I shower every day , twice in Summer or after a sweaty walk..

I do think 4 weeks for bedding is far too long, mine is grubby after a week even though we air the bed for a few hours each day
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sheets and pillowcase every week!

Bras are worn for three days usually, knickers clean every day of course.

I don't use anti-bacterial cleansers, just Persil.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • chella
    chella Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    underwear and socks every day, bras maybe 2 to 3 times before changing/alternating.

Bedding, weekly without fail, fitted sheet twice a week sometimes, I love the feel of getting into a fresh bed.

in the summer I will change all bedding twice a week.

tops I only wear once before washing

Towels and bathroom mats I wash twice a week.

I would feel uncomfortable getting into 4 week old bed linen
  • rufydoofyM
    Options
    :oIn my defense I do change bedding more regular most of the time, but mobility and energy levels often dictate when. I figured this point would get a reaction, however we bathe or shower at least once a day and often twice depending on the time of year or what we have been doing during the day. We don't sweat much and are very clean overall.
  • chella
    chella Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    itsyour bed, you are the one in it, no need to justify yourself.

I wash my mats in the bathroom twice a week because it gets on my nerves when the pile goes flat, not because Ihave trampled mud all over them.

Each to their own.

I sweat a LOT.
  • Flower08
    Flower08 Posts: 4,771 Forumite
    Options
    _pale_ I would not feel comfortable getting into four week old bedding, and yes I also shower every day and would consider myself a clean person, but IMO that is far too long.

Tops are washed after one wash, bottoms maybe two washes, towels are used maybe two or three times before washing, I use anti bacterial hand wash. I certainly dont think I am stopping my children to be free, just teaching them good hygiene and they are both perfectly healthy (certainly dont see at scare mongering!).
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss: 13 / 20 lb
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    I don't care what other people choose to do as long as they don't smell when I have to stand next to them.

I can't be doing with anti-bac this, that and the other thing as I reckon most of them are pretty pointless and just feed people's paranoia. There might be plenty of germs about but not all of them are harmful. If something needs disinfecting wash it on a 95 degree cycle or use disinfectant.

I generally wash my clothes after each wear but that's mostly because I don't want to put once-worn things back in the drawer/wardrobe with absolutely clean ones. Except for jeans which can be chucked on a chair till needed.
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    chella wrote: »
    itsyour bed, you are the one in it, no need to justify yourself.

I wash my mats in the bathroom twice a week because it gets on my nerves when the pile goes flat, not because Ihave trampled mud all over them.

Each to their own.

I sweat a LOT.

Exactly, what difference does it make? Im not manky. I have good personal hygiene. I wonder what people think is going to happen if bedsheets arent changed on a weekly basis?

I dont wash my bra every two days and I'll have bedsheets on my bed for a few weeks at a time, nothing untoward has happened to me yet.

I think this washing all the time is a modern thing and people feel pressure to be washing clothes and bedding after a wear or two. I bet in my grans day (and my gran was as clean as you get) that she wasnt washing bedding once a week, she wouldn't have had the facilities to do so.

I actually have eczema and that eczema is made worse by washing clothes in certain soap powders, these days I use eco balls, but in times gone by I remember my skin being in a terrible state even washing in the gentlest of powders, my skin is so sensitive anything can set it off.

Same as so many kids now have allergies because they live in houses that don't have a speck of dust in them.

Do what suits you and don't feel like you need to apologise for it.
  • foxyloxy11
    Options
    rufydoofyM wrote: »
    :oIn my defense I do change bedding more regular most of the time, but mobility and energy levels often dictate when. I figured this point would get a reaction, however we bathe or shower at least once a day and often twice depending on the time of year or what we have been doing during the day. We don't sweat much and are very clean overall.

I agree with you that we are all a bit obsessed by cleanliness. I wash my bedding fortnightly and I do love the feel of clean bedding, but I certainly don't have the time to wash everyone's bedding once a week. I think it's personal preference how often we wash it not a necessity.
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure