MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year

Options

Comments

• chaotic_j
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Hmmm

So this VOIP? Can you get a local number assigned to it ?

So how do these VOIP phones work? WIFI handset ?
    or can you get a box to plug into a standard landline phone?

Hi AndyPK,

Yes, I have been using Sipgate for 6 years with a local landline number - this was supplied free, calls can be received for free and I only pay when I dial out (cheap rates), no ongoing costs such as line rental.

There are a number of great features such as forwarding to another number if there is no answer, voicemail which can be emailed directly to you etc.

My setup is a Linksys PAP2 ATA adapter, this allows me to connect a normal telephone to it - I used to have an iDect X3 but I now have a Gigaset C300 - I use the answer phone built into it so everything operates as if a normal telephone, albeit having to dial the full area code.

The Linksys PAP2 I remember being a bit difficult for me to set up - it was quite techy but there are probably more user friendly devices available now.

It was connected 24/7 for 3 years then died so I got another (cheap) and that is still going strong another 3 years later. Occasionally I have to reboot my router but other than that it has worked admirably..

Given notice to Virgin Media by the way.. we are switching to BT with Infinity! If by any chance it is terrible, unusable (unlikely) I will argue the toss and get out of the contract - maybe my partner can then sign up as a 'new customer' to Virgin Media? Unsure.. thought it was worth the saving in switching.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for explaining.

Sounds like you have a good plan.
    Watch BT in month 13 though! Prices rocket
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Well I can't believe it!

I'm on a new customer deal, and on their lowest package of 50Gb download per month. £6/month for 12m then £14/month

I was hoping to get away without a rise! as they don't do this package anymore.

So mine is going from £6 to £9.49 !!!! :(
    And the last 6m £14 to £17.49

I can't believe how much % increase that is !

Anyway, as I paid my LR in advance (to avoid LR increases) I'll have to stick with it.
    I guess its about the same price as OR fibre.

I guess I will try and ditch the phone when I'm out of contract.

You could still phone to cancel and see what they come up with - reports from various forums about some people being given account credit so nothing to lose.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got my letter today. Called up and got £3 credit for the next 6 months.
    Sigless
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My letter arrived at the end of this week - I have until 31/10 to cancel without penalty. I have paid LRS until January but I will still call to cancel and see what they come up with.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    You could still phone to cancel and see what they come up with - reports from various forums about some people being given account credit so nothing to lose.

Most of the replies on here appear to be. "Yes ok, we will cancel your services from xx/xx/2016. Good bye.

I know I could uncancel within 30 days.

TBH I have had enough of phoning VM this year already.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    100mb for £32. Used to be on 200 but haven't got over 100mb for three months. I just wanted rid of the phone line but when they evaluated my tv habit it turns out 88% of my viewing can be had on Freeview so I said the tv can go as well. Halved my bill.

Too add- I have now been on eBay and bought a BT Youview box for £48 so I can now record and get Freeview HD, also has last seven day catch up service plus all the catchup apps. When doing speed tests I am now getting 104mbps on the 100 service. As a bonus I've not received one ppi phone call since getting rid of the phone line and going BB only. Funny that.

Latest bill £17.99- I should have done this sooner and two colleagues at work are now doing the same.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    So does the BT Youview box box connect to ethernet or WIFI or phoneline ?

I would quite like something to watch ITV player and CH4 on my TV
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    Rev wrote: »
    Got my letter today. Called up and got £3 credit for the next 6 months.

I did that and asked if I could get it for 12 months, they said no and applied a 30 credit into my account and got the 3 quid credit as well

Always push for more
  • ScoobyZ
    Options
    jazzy wrote: »
    yes it's a £2.99 per month increase for the broadband only service.

£3.49 increase BB for 70 MB here. I paid phone in advance. :)

I'm going to wait until 12 months is up in Jan and negotiate the increase back and a new 12 months. If not might give sky a go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure