Cash as a wedding gift - any advice??

Options

Comments

• DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    I personally dislike requests for cash/vouchers and wedding lists. Yes I'd buy a present but because I want to, not because the bride and groom expect me to and stipulate what that present should be.

I may ask colour schemes etc if I dont know them and want to get something for the house, depends on the couple and what I think they would appreciate.

Always fun to look at the lists though to see the requests, you can tell who has been a "bridezilla" and who hasnt usually by the list.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    daminescu wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but you are all missing the point: since when is the gift and a wedding what the guest, and not about the bride and groom?! Shouldn't a guest be concerned with what the couple wants rather than what they want to give? I think it's very selfish. If you dont feel comfortable to give cash to a reception to which there is a hint that cash is the most appreciated gif, then don't go! And the mounts you are all talking about are ridiculously low, at least by NY standards. I dont know how it is in the UK, but I am just organizing a wedding at it comes out to $460/person, after we are doing flowers ourselves, no wedding planneer, arranging tables ourselves, and doing the ceremony outside to save on fees. So thinking about paying $50 (25 pounds) is ridiculous. Sure, I invited you because I'd like you there, but if you pretend to care enough about me to bring me a gift then show that you care about me, not about yourself. Otherwise, dont come.
    I think it is you who are missing the point. It's interesting that you use the word "paying" when (please correct me if I've misunderstood your post) you appear to be referring to amounts given as gifts. Do you think you're selling tickets to an event rather than hosting a celebration to share with family and friends? The cost per head is irrelevant: the amount guests can afford will depend on their individual circumstances, and the extent to which they are willing to stretch their budget will depend on how well they know and like the couple, so you can't expect everyone to contribute their "share". It doesn't work like that, and if that attitude is common in America then I'm very glad indeed that I live in Scotland. Invitations and gifts alike should be given freely and with kindness, not regarded as some sort of fee or business transaction.
    If the wedding is too expensive to host without expecting guests to pay for it, then more economising is required. I had a low budget wedding which I and my guests enjoyed very much. We didn't have a wedding list and only made suggestions for suitable gifts when asked, and while we made it clear that gifts of money were quite welcome we would never dream of asking for money instead of a more tangible gift. We received amounts ranging from about £20 to £175, as well as the usual selection of dinnerware, bedlinen etc. Some relatives paid for elements of the wedding as a gift, but it was their idea, not mine. My mum paid for the buffet, which was awful but that's not really so important: the quality of the company is more important than the quality of the food.
    I like the idea of a bottle of champagne to christen completed home improvements. Loathe though I am to recommend evil Tesco, they currently have champers on half price offer at about £13.50 a bottle. I got an unexpected gift at my wedding reception after an aunt and uncle (who'd already bought us a vacuum cleaner) overheard me asking at the bar whether they had champagne and being told they'd none, so one of them sneaked out to the off-licence and bought us a bottle.
  • IWantToBeFree_2
    IWantToBeFree_2 Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Very interesting read this....

I am getting married next July, and by then my partner and I will have been living togehter in our own house for over a year, and aside from needing to be decorated, we pretty much have everything we need for the house.

We had planned to ask for B&Q vouchers so we can decorate, we need to decorate pretty much every room, so obviously this would come in really handy. Cash would be even better as it gives us flexibility in where we can spend.

However, I don't want to send a gift list or anything similar, I don't want to ask people to give us what we want, I think in sending a gift list your almost making it a condition of acceptance. Its a strange one... I am going to a wedding this evening and the couple are in a similar position to use and they have asked for vouchers/cash and got a small gift list at Next. I wasn't offended by the gift list, made it easier if anything, but I just don't want to do it myself!
  • paddingtondoo
    paddingtondoo Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very interesting read this....

I am getting married next July, and by then my partner and I will have been living togehter in our own house for over a year, and aside from needing to be decorated, we pretty much have everything we need for the house.

We had planned to ask for B&Q vouchers so we can decorate, we need to decorate pretty much every room, so obviously this would come in really handy. Cash would be even better as it gives us flexibility in where we can spend.

However, I don't want to send a gift list or anything similar, I don't want to ask people to give us what we want, I think in sending a gift list your almost making it a condition of acceptance. Its a strange one... I am going to a wedding this evening and the couple are in a similar position to use and they have asked for vouchers/cash and got a small gift list at Next. I wasn't offended by the gift list, made it easier if anything, but I just don't want to do it myself!

We are in a similar position and really need to redo our kitchen.

We have just sent the invites out without any list or mention of gifts in it. All our guests have to travel a fair distance and stay over night so it will be costing them enough as it is.

If anyone asks we are going to suggest vouchers or cash as apart from anything I don't want them to have to travel with parcels as well and we also have to get them home as we are 2 hours away from the venue ourselves. I didn't feel comfortable with putting anyone on the spot by putting it into the invites but can do so face to face.
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • she_mac
    she_mac Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I'm thinking of asking for money as a wedding gift. I'm also going to make cute envelopes that I'll put in with the invitation to make the giving feel special, and maybe yep just a 'small gifts' list. At a previous wedding I went to, there was a gorgeously decorated post box for the envelopes. I think most people know how expensive weddings can be and so are happy to give a little dosh, especially if the couple have been living together and may not need the tradtional gifts. My best money saver though will be doing my own wedding flowers. I found this wicked site: www.diy-flowers.co.uk
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    we've just finished the invite pack, and it doesn't include a gift list. if people want to give us a gift i would rather they ask us and then we can explain that the only thing we really need is a new bathroom and therefore b&Q vouchers or money is the best choice. Why should we be forced to make a list of things we don't actually want but feel obliged to list just because someone doesn't like the idea of giving money - i'd rather they didn't bother. To be honest i don't expect anything from anyone i just want their company and hope they enjoy the day.
    I understand it's not easy finding cash, i'm in the same position for my friends wedding at the end of this month, but that's what they need so they can enjoy lots of extra trips on their honeymoon, so i will try and find the cash.
  • bigmomma051204
    bigmomma051204 Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Options
    hmmmmm - am interested in this thread for the simple reason that i am going to the wedding of my partners work colleague in a couple of weeks and they are asking for money for their honeymoon......i find this cheeky anyway tbh as we are only invited to the evening reception (which in itself is FINE and as it should be, as i dont know ANYONE there apart from my partner and they have only been workmates for about 5 months) But the main problem is that my partner has asked the groom to be (which i told him off for as it seems rude lol) how much he reckoned people would give and the groom said other friends who have asked same question, have been told by his fiancee that "she thinks" between £50 and £150 is a "fair amount" and she'd "feel as if people were being tight and didnt like her if they didnt give that much" ............

.....Well.....!! ................

We are still saving Our money to get a place together, we have a child (££££ lol) and we are, well, suffice to say, broke lol!! This couple earn a hell of a lot more than us (well She does lol), both have extremely rich parents (one set have just bought a new "house" for £1.6 million and the wedding is costing £35,000!) and no dependants.....my partner says we cant not give the "basic fee" lol of £50 as he will be soooo embarrassed @ wrk but i really feel we cant afford this! :mad: :mad: Sorry to rant - i dont have anything against giving money for wedding gift but to specify amounts lol is poo.........i reckon say on invites that money would be greatly appreciated towards *whatever* but then have a gift list as well!!!!!! Again, sorry for the rant! xxxxxx
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm having a fairly elaborate wedding (around the 25k mark) and most couples will be spending around £25 - £30.. we're not asking for money though.. got a gift lift (although most of it has gone now).

I think asking for money from friends is cheeky - it's not unusual for elder family, but i think it's weird asking evening guest for much.
  • lilmissnic72
    lilmissnic72 Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all this is an interesting thread.
    Me and my partner are due to marry in August and because we are living together we have everything we need at this point in time. So because of this we have asked our wedding guests to donate a paper gift. This is how we worded it in our invites:
    We don't expect a gift but if desired we would be grateful of a gift in the form of paper (money or voucher for Argos)

At the end of the day we would rather save the vouchers/cash up until we need to buy something big, for example a new bed when we eventually buy our own house.

Personally if the Bride and Groom have asked for a cash or voucher to use towards something such as a larger item, I would have no problem in doing this as if its something they want,I would rather give them a voucher or cash towards it and then they know they can get what they want rather then stuff they don't need or items that will get tucked away in a cupboard never to see day light again.
  • bride_on_a_budget
    Options
    whn we got married on the 30th may 2008 we did not have a gift list but put a little poem in each invitation:

we are sending you this invitiation
    and hope you will join our celebration
    if to send a gift is your intention
    in modesty we would like to mention
    we already have a kettle and toaster
    dinner plates crockery and coasters
    so rather than something we have already got
    please send us money/vouchers for our savings pot
    but most importantly we request
    that you turn up as our wedding guest

this went down well and everyone gave us vouchers or cheques

i hope this helps