Las Vegas thread and MSE guide 2009 part 2

Options

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 5 July 2009 at 8:38AM
    Options
    August
    I'd go for three in economy if money is the issue.
    A little squirmer for ten hours is no fun -and you can bet they won't want to stay in the sky cot. Not to mention the safety aspect-you get a bumpy landing or turbulence little un is a LOT safer strapped into a car seat rather than held on a lap. Obviously three in premium would be the best option -maybe hold off going for a few months and do that instead ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    Options
    August
    It's schedule change time again.
    Delta have changed our timings slightly which is OK -actually a shorter layover but sadly our ATL LGW leg is no longer an airbus. They also messed with the seats so had to call to get DS put back into the emergency row with me

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    September
    Update.

After getting the call yesterday and posting my anger on here, I decided to give United one last call.

I asked if it was possible to change the flight to the day before and at first they said it wasn't available in the same fare class. But the lady checked again and said it was available and that I could change it as a one-off change due to the schedule change. I got her name and told her that NF's were insisting the change couldn't be made, but I would try them again. She said she would put a note on the booking that the change could be made.

My next problem was getting hold of NF as I had been told that the Schedule Change Dept was closed at the weekend, yet someone had called me and I didn't know if they were from that department.

Called NF and was answered quickly after getting through the various menus. I explained it all again and told him the details were on my booking. Again I said that United had no problem changing the booking, that they had made a note of it and I had a contact name and number if he would contact them.

For once someone from NF actually listened to me! He put me on hold while he called and I spent an anxious few minutes until he came back and said I HAVE MADE THE CHANGE!

I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing. After umpteen phone calls and being shoved from pillar to post, success at last. I almost couldn't believe it until I viewed the booking using https://www.checkmytrip.com and there is was so I did a little Happy Dance, jumping up and down.

We are now flying on 18 September via SFO, so the type of flight I prefer by getting the long leg over with first, and no panic about getting to the concert in time.

To say I'm relieved is an understatement.
  • sew109
    sew109 Posts: 618 Forumite
    Options
    middy60 wrote: »
    any one whos been premium with virgin think we should get 2 premium or pay for 3 economy iam a big lad and hate beening squashed up width wise, i understand from virgin website we would get a skycot for the kid in premium and extra width but probley lose the width in economy with bulkhead seats

If memory serves if you travel on Virgin Prem with a nipper you are put in the downstairs prem cabin which is not a patch on the bubble so I would go three seats in econ.
    Its Vegas time -no longer :T a five year old has changed Vegas time to Orlando time
  • duchy
    Options
    August
    Oh Luci that's GREAT !!!
    Well done on not giving up-makes all the difference when you get someone at the airline prepared to go the extra mile (no pun intended)

• luci
    edited 5 July 2009 at 9:44AM
    Options
    September
    Thanks! The airline was no problem, it was the agent that wouldn't listen to me which was soooo frustrating when I knew the change could be made.

So we are now staying for 14 nights instead of 13 and by some strange quirk I already have Bally's booked for the extra night!

I had tried to book Bally's from 19 September for 5 nights, but the system wouldn't let me. Ferf suggested booking from 18th then calling to cancel the first night so that's what I did.

However when I called Bally's they couldn't cancel the first night as they were closed to Saturday arrivals. I decided not to cancel the booking in the hope that they would open to Saturday arrivals nearer the time.

At the moment I have Bally's booked for 6 nights, Paris for 11 and the Carriage House for 3. Oh and a comped night at Excalibur, but we will leave our luggage in the room at Paris that night. I shall call nearer the time and change it to Bally's for 5 and Paris for 6.

To make it even sweeter, I booked Bally's before the Mayweather fight was announced at $65 for the weekend nights. They are now $149 and $169!
  • Gewens
    Gewens Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    October , November
    Well done Luci, it seems it is all falling back into place. Looks like you have done very well with the room rates aswell.
  • duchy
    Options
    August
    See the Gods KNEW you'd need that extra night !! ;)

• luci
    Options
    September
    Yep, it seems a strange coincidence that I already had that night booked and hadn't cancelled the reservation! Someone was looking after me.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    October , November
    middy60 wrote: »
    any one whos been premium with virgin think we should get 2 premium or pay for 3 economy iam a big lad and hate beening squashed up width wise, i understand from virgin website we would get a skycot for the kid in premium and extra width but probley lose the width in economy with bulkhead seats

Penny has already mentioned that yes the PE seats are wider, but armrests are fixed...the one time we flew PE to Vegas we were disappointed at the additional width as in our minds we thought it would be more. We're not small people and the seats were noticeably wider, but only a little bit. Loads more legroom and other benefits (like getting off the plane first, etc.) but we didn't think PE on that route was worth it. We flew PE to Oz on a newer plane and THAT was totally worth it but on the 747s, not so much.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure