June 2014 Bride and Grooms

Options
Hi guys,

Ive seen a few 2014 threads going up and wanted to start one for any June brides or grooms.

Im getting married on 28th June 2014 and have the basics organised like venue, insurance, bridesmaid dress, cake half picked in the sense we have picked the flavours but are stuck between 2 designs, dj, chair covers and invites half picked.

Look forward to hearing all our stories over the next 10 months!

Comments

• TopQuark
    TopQuark Posts: 451 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2013 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Hello MD!

I'm now a June 2014 Bride (7th), after changing the date from the 24th May just recently. I'm marrying a Frenchman in the south of France and we thought that choosing the UK bank holiday weekend would make it easier for everyone coming from the UK. However, we found out that it will also be during the school holidays, so the price of flights will rocket. Hence the date change.

I've got some things sorted, as posted on the main thread. We have the venue chosen, the theme, my dress, flowers (silk, not real), invites (mum and I are making ourselves) and I thought we had the cake chosen, but OH is changing his mind on this now :mad:

In France the traditional wedding cake is a croquembouche. This is great for me as I love profiteroles and dislike our UK cakes as I hate icing (as does OH). So the croquembouche seemed appropriate on all counts! I need to work on him as otherwise, I don't know what cake we'll be having.....

And we also need to choose the caterer. We have a shortlist, but OH needs to make some enquires with them.

Oh and the paperwork. We are currently putting this together and its a pain - getting married in France is an administrative nightmare, even when you are marrying a native and your in-laws are friends with the mayor!

Good luck and best wishes to all! :j
    Remember Occam's Razor - the simplest explanation is usually the right one. :)

32 and mortgage-free :D
  • Squish815
    Options
    Hello fellow June 2014 Brides and Grooms!

We will be getting married on 23rd June 2014. So far we have booked the registry office and the photographer. Next week I aim to get the reception venue booked and wedding insurance sorted. I also want to get my OH to fill out forms for his new passport as he has no ID and therefore we cannot give notice at the moment!

I feel so behind in planning even though I've had AGES to do it!

Hope everyone's planning and booking etc. is going well!
  • my_definition
    Options
    TopQuark that paperwork sounds like great fun. I let OH phone registar so havent submitted much paperwork but i think mine needs done nearer the time. France sounds great though.

Squish815 ive only done as much as i have because we have a package at our venue to dont have to pick from lots of suppliers. The photographers also a family friend so hes giving up a really good price. Hes just giving us the cd though with all the photos but ill happily have a we project over the summer holidays (im a teacher) sorting out my photobooks. He offered to do a photobook for us but its a lot of money from him and hes going to show me how to use the software.
  • scmp
    scmp Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All!
    Well we plan to marry on 14th June 2014 and are going to have a look at the ceremony venue and then off to see the reception venue tomorrow to check avaiabilty for other dates and to basically have a big nosey around :)
    We have a date with the registar for after the weekend to actually book the date ~ hopefully.

We have been together for 5 1/2 years, he proposed within in months whilst camping in Snowdonia and we have lived together for 5 of those years. I have finally been won round from my 'it is just a bit of paper' mentality to getting crazy giddy, going out for a meal and me putting a post it the restaurants wedding package brochure saying 'fancy getting married next year?', needless to say he said yes :)
    That was 2 weeks ago and we have now entered the crazy world of wedding planning especially as I don't want to waste to much money and do it for £3 or less.

The plan is....
    To get married in Conwy Town, as we really do not want a registary wedding (£500!)
    Then head off to a farm which has a barn, bunk house and camping.
    The barn looks quite pretty but it is set up as a lounge so with some tables and a caterer for a nice buffet it should look lovely.
    Everything is going 'rustic' as we are quite natural outdoors types, love nature, grow our own food and go to folk festivals.
    The idea is to bring our families together in a 'folksy' esc setting which is nice and chilled.

We are hoping to have a BBQ going as well with local meats. Oh and local kegs of beer and larger although we are starting to brew our own elderflower champagne but that could be an expolsion waiting to happen!!!

Out doors we want things like giant jenga, our Poi sets, giant bubbles, lawn games and such for the chldren. Also fairy lights, glass jars with battery candles ets with a couple of gazebos.
    Indoors would be retro games, quiz style things, cards, poker and such.
    I am just worried people will get bored not having a disco? It is a real farm so noise is an issue but we will have a CD playing songs in the background in the barn.

Any suggestions to stave the bordom off our guests and how to make sure it is sunny in June?
  • my_definition
    Options
    That sounds like a great day! No idea about how to make sure its sunny. If ypu find out please let me know as im from Scotland and were not really known for the good weather!

Im not much good for ideas for entertainment either, I think youve got lots of things planned
  • scmp
    Options
    Hi,
    Well don't things change in 5 weeks!!!
    We went to the barn and it was smaller than we thought and the owner although lovely did not really seem cut out for what we were proposing and we really didn't want to ruin anything. We slumped off to what we called 'barn 2' that we found a few days after seeing the first barn with heavy hearts.

We got there and it was perfect!
    So much space, two open barns, a victorian garden... it was amazing!
    The owner was surprised at our idea at first but soon got into it and really likes the plan so far as it is quite laid back like a big family bbq!
    She was booked for camping on the 14th and we were devastated, we rushed to the registrar and the only time they had left was 11.30am on the 28th and we grabbed it!
    Plan now is for the ceremony 11.30
    To the barn for 1.30
    Afternoon tea (coffee, tea, sandwiches, Crudit!s and cakes)
    The photographs during the tea
    The blessing in the victorian garden
    Lawn games, jenga and all that
    Hog roast and buffet at 5
    Speeches
    Music from a relative with his guitar and ours will be there as well
    Dancing (hopefully!)
    Welsh cheese boards
    Cd playing music
    Night games like fire poi
    Campfires with stew made from our allotment vege and local rolls
    Sleep in a teepee :)

We have snagged ourselves local ale, wine and mead (all made in north wales) and compost able plates, cups etc

Not all of our families are out doorsy or campers but they know we are
  • my_definition
    Options
    scmp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Well don't things change in 5 weeks!!!
    We went to the barn and it was smaller than we thought and the owner although lovely did not really seem cut out for what we were proposing and we really didn't want to ruin anything. We slumped off to what we called 'barn 2' that we found a few days after seeing the first barn with heavy hearts.

We got there and it was perfect!
    So much space, two open barns, a victorian garden... it was amazing!
    The owner was surprised at our idea at first but soon got into it and really likes the plan so far as it is quite laid back like a big family bbq!
    She was booked for camping on the 14th and we were devastated, we rushed to the registrar and the only time they had left was 11.30am on the 28th and we grabbed it!
    Plan now is for the ceremony 11.30
    To the barn for 1.30
    Afternoon tea (coffee, tea, sandwiches, Crudit!s and cakes)
    The photographs during the tea
    The blessing in the victorian garden
    Lawn games, jenga and all that
    Hog roast and buffet at 5
    Speeches
    Music from a relative with his guitar and ours will be there as well
    Dancing (hopefully!)
    Welsh cheese boards
    Cd playing music
    Night games like fire poi
    Campfires with stew made from our allotment vege and local rolls
    Sleep in a teepee :)

We have snagged ourselves local ale, wine and mead (all made in north wales) and compost able plates, cups etc

Not all of our families are out doorsy or campers but they know we are

That sounds like such a fab day! Glad you had more luck with the second barn, also means i now have a date twin! My oh booked our registrar for half one but was told we could change it nearer the time, hope we can because our ceremonys supposed to be at 2...
  • scmp
    Options
    Yey a date twin!
    We are just hoping for it not to rain!
    Oh i hope you can change your registrar time, i would change it sooner rather than later from our little experience!
  • my_definition
    Options
    Yea fingers crossed it doesnt rain, we had looked at an outdoor ceremony but in scotland we just coulnt risk it. Ill get oh to phone asap, we havent set anything up with them and as they are coming to us fingers crossed. Worst comes to worst we have it an extra half hour earlier
  • scmp
    Options
    Well we have hand made our invitations, rsvps, itinerary (with camping, a walk, a farm and bring your own drinks for the evening) we decided it best just to let everybody know what they are getting into from the get go!
    The actual invite is cute, it is half an a4 sheet lengthways folded in to three. When you open it a piece of twine ties a knot and in it it says we are tying the knot! With location time and date. Daftly feel really proud and it is made from recycled card :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure