Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Saint_Chris - They used to do a seasonal service. Late March - Early September, however they no longer fly that route.

Routes from MAN direct are AA to JFK or CO to EWR.
  • bigpat
    bigpat Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Wife, two teens (14&16) and me off to NY for a week on 29th March. Can't wait!!

I'd like some advice on where to eat without breaking (what's left of!!) the bank. At home we're big fans for the 2-for-1 vouchers etc. at places like Zizzi and Ask. Is there a website that does something similar for NY?

We're staying at the Skyline on 10th Ave, but we'll be subwaying and walking all over Manhattan and hopefully the odd excursion to the other boroughs, so tips anywhere in NYC will be gratefully received.

And what's the situation with bars? Can we take our kids in at certain times of day or is that completely out of the question?

Thanks
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    No bar would let me & My 18yo in with to watch the Liverpool match wearing liverpool shirts . Ended up watching in the doorway at nasdaq. Restraunts are different i could drink with my meal but was asked if the beer was for me . Also thinking about it i had a beer in the hotel bar with my 18yo (he didnt)
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • kathryn2
    kathryn2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    KK22 wrote:
    I've stayed in the Holiday Inn Midtown and it's fine!!!!!!

Honestly, dont worry. I won my hotel stay there and when i read the reviews, i even panicked thinking that free was still a bad deal! The hotel staff were very pleasant throughout our stay, despite numerous reviews saying that they weren't. The rooms were large by NYC standards, they were clean but there are some areas that need updating but they were getting renovated when we were there in march 2011. It's in a great location with plenty of imenities near by.

If you have any questions whatsoever, just give me a shout! DONT WORRY!
    Moosegoose wrote: »
    Stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown in July last year and we found it to be fine.Clean,comfortable and in a great location just a short stroll from the Subway at Columbus Circle.We had breakfast and dinner on a couple of occasions during out stay and found the food to be of a good standard and very reasonably priced by hotel standards.The rooftop pool was a welcome relief from the heat of the city.

Staff friendly and helpful.

Would definitely stay again as it offered great value.

Thanks to both of you for the reassurance! I gave them a call and got confirmation that we'd be in double/double rooms, and that they're the non-smoking ones, so fingers crossed it'll be fine. We can cope with a bit of mould in the bathroom and will take earplugs with us for the noise.

Any recommendations for palces to eat nearby? I imagine we'll want to venture out for breakfast at least a couple of mornings.
  • Jamjar_2
    Jamjar_2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    bigpat wrote: »
    Hi

Wife, two teens (14&16) and me off to NY for a week on 29th March. Can't wait!!

I'd like some advice on where to eat without breaking (what's left of!!) the bank. At home we're big fans for the 2-for-1 vouchers etc. at places like Zizzi and Ask. Is there a website that does something similar for NY?

We're staying at the Skyline on 10th Ave, but we'll be subwaying and walking all over Manhattan and hopefully the odd excursion to the other boroughs, so tips anywhere in NYC will be gratefully received.

And what's the situation with bars? Can we take our kids in at certain times of day or is that completely out of the question?

Thanks

Hi bigpat, we are also going to NY for a week at the end of March (kids are 10 & 14).
    I have recently been subscibing to www.yipit.com which details various offers from Groupon,Living social,Amazonlocal etc and have bought a few restaurant/cafe deals. The most recent being this one http://local.amazon.com/nyc-downtown/B007F1RQEK for Haagen-Dazs in Chinatown.
    Have a great trip
    Regards JJ
  • bara03
    bara03 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know of any sports shops selling different MLB Shirts/TShirts, not just Yankees or Mets , the wife and I are Marlins fans after we saw two games on Honeymoon in 2001!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • clarky213
    clarky213 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I am taking the wife to NYC on 29th April for our 29th wedding anniversary.
    Already got the Monday(Yankees game) and Tuesday (Theatre) sorted. I am looking for a good Restaurant to spend our anniversary on the wednesday. Would like somewhere near 34th st/ Broadway area if possible. Must do good Steaks and Fish dishes.

Thanks in advance.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    There is a official yankees shop in times square with a upstairs selling alot of other teams dont know about Marlins
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    clarky213 wrote: »
    I am taking the wife to NYC on 29th April for our 29th wedding anniversary.
    Already got the Monday(Yankees game) and Tuesday (Theatre) sorted. I am looking for a good Restaurant to spend our anniversary on the wednesday. Would like somewhere near 34th st/ Broadway area if possible. Must do good Steaks and Fish dishes.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.elevenmadisonpark.com/ how do we know what your tastes are ? its number 1 on TA with lots of reviews from lots of people (havent been) Its about 15 minutes walk .are you staying at the new yorker ?
  • bara03
    bara03 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    There is a official yankees shop in times square with a upstairs selling alot of other teams dont know about Marlins

Cool will try and get some more info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport