The march to financial freedom

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    More to the point, 3 jars of cranberry!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    LOL - that is called preparation! :D I usually do Christmas shopping (for everything!) on Christmas Eve :eek: - may need to plan a *little* sooner this year as hopefully have both parents and in-laws coming!
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Couldn't read and leave without justifying myself ;)

Alex - Different strokes for different folks. Supermarket frozen is good enough here and I've had no complaints from my 20+ guests for the last 12 years that I've cooked for our big pre-Christmas lunch. Best of all, it's free using my points.

:rotfl: The Cranberry is Aldi's and they're small jars - need 3 to go on the table to reach everyone. Hoping might be half of one left for Christmas Day!

I'd leave present shopping and sorting until later, but the spread of some of the family means we swap some gifts in November. That's in 2 days time :eek: Christmas Day is much quieter compared to the "big do" which is a couple of weeks before. All presents are swapped by then, except a couple of close friends who live locally.

The joy of people living all over the place :D

Not long been home, so got to sort tea for DS and get myself ready for an evening out. Not planning a late night so might even get chance to pop in later and update (on the financials :rotfl:)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You don't need to justify yourself Ali - I am just in awe of your organisation! I really need to get a grip of things - I am away on a trip to the US next week and I thought it was in two weeks time! That is how organised I am! :rotfl:
  • Ali-OK
    Options
    Evening Diary,

Was later home than planned last night so no financial update, suffice to say had a lovely evening out and I spent £7 on drinks - he wouldn't let me pay towards dinner. Might do it again as friends/business colleagues. Doesn't have romantic potential before anyone asks :p

Really busy work day today and am tired tonight. We've had a pizza out of the freezer for tea and we're off to the cinema in a while. So glad it's the weekend, though I've still some work to do that I'll sort when I'm more rested. Next week is a bit quieter but still busy.

Financials:
    - bank account checked. No TT as bank balance on a rounded number already! Mortgage capital of £925 goes out on Monday
    - freepostcodelottery checked - the £10 evening one was quite close to me yesterday!
    - Nectar adpoints - 11 in the pot, but the site has ceased trading from today (note on Nectar's homepage). We get credited for those done this week so far.
    - Nectar Canvass - nothing done, but looks like that's where the points are going to have to come from big time going forward
    - Nectar Search - new month tomorrow to start on
    - Nectar card value - down at £71.12 - still a great amount and I'll pick up stuff for Christmas when it's on offer and more YS meat I think
    - Inbox Pounds - getting there! £19.20 at the moment.
    - Qmee - nothing new added, still on 43p

So much to do over the weekend, but first have got to do elec meter reading with torch in a moment, as end of month one required by midnight tonight :eek: Just seen email!

If the weather is dry then the deck will get cleaned and a new coat of anti-slip stain added. If it's a wet weekend, housework and Christmas stuff will be my target. Got to pick up and pay for the hairdryer on Sun-Mon as wasn't in stock at my chosen store when I reserved it.

Hope everyone's looking forward to a good weekend. :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

• Ali-OK
    Options
    mizmir wrote: »
    You don't need to justify yourself Ali - I am just in awe of your organisation! I really need to get a grip of things - I am away on a trip to the US next week and I thought it was in two weeks time! That is how organised I am! :rotfl:

:eek: I'd be in panic mode by now if that were me :rotfl: Hope the trip goes well. :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

• supersaver1000
    Options
    Went to in laws a couple of years ago and we said we would buy the turkey. They insisted on a free range bronze. They over cooked it as dry as old boots. Cost us £65!

New Years at little brothers, Morrisons frozen turkey, £17.99 delicious. It's the way you cook em.

No guarantee where they come from or if they are really what they say they are unless you see them being reared. Save your money, or buy a turkey chick (but then I'd have to keep it as a pet :rotfl:).
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Boo to Nectar ads.
    Was good while it lasted though :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 31 October 2014 at 11:36PM
    Options
    Ali et al.: Before buying meat from the supermarkets please consider where it comes from in the first place. Many small farms have been struggling for a long time now due to the cut price meat supermarkets sell. Would you rather pay a little more and know EXACTLY where your meat comes from, or pay less and be unaware?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Ali-OK
    Options
    Evening Diary,

I think I've coined a new phrase - Work hard, worker even harder at home! This is what I've achieved today:

Tidied bedroom, changed towels, emptied bins, washing done, line dried and put away (small pile for ironing to do), emptied dishwasher, hand washing up, filled up with petrol (£38), bought 24 2nd class stamps (£12 something) and a lottery ticket for tonight (£2), filled up dog food bin, cleared up after dogs in garden, took photos of front and back gardens and measurements for nursery chap to help on design and planting, deep cleaned utility room and kitchen which took 6 hours :eek: including windows both sides, light fittings and the venetian blinds.

Just sat down after eating chilli (from freezer batch). Not going to do anything else now except chill and probably fall asleep :rotfl:

Financials - I checked the bank account this morning and freepostcodelottery tonight. That's my lot for today!

Hope everyone has had a good Saturday. :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business