Apple muncher's number crunching

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Off we trotted to the eye hosp and the whole expedition lasted 6 hours. Ooph. Basically, they can see the bit on dd's eye which is why the optician sent us on, but say it isn't affecting dd's vision. So, they have no idea what it is! We go back in 12 months. Already booked for 1st March 2018 :eek:

Dd was well fed up for most of the slog home, especially as we hit the rush. We got a seat to share for most of the tram journey, which helped improve her mood. We got off a stop early and walked home via the tree-lined path which was good for us both.

Things are mostly ready for tomorrow's trip. Some was done this morning, and I don't want to do much more in front of dd, as it'll upset her. She'll prob not fall asleep before 9.30 (and I'll be snoring myself 5 mins later) so I'd best get up early and do it then. I want to drop off dd and go directly on to the tram stop, as road traffic is dire at that time of day.

The rebate cheques have cleared, so I have already paid them off the mortgage. :D
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Dd slept in with us, so no one slept too well! She ws getting upset at me going away and it was the simplest way to keep her calm.

Care home annuity plan thingy - if mum's income is x and the care fees are y, then it'll cost between 240k and 280k. However, if the care fees are 250 less pw, the plan drops to between 140k and 170k. A m a s s i v e difference!

Still so much to consider - finding the right home with a vacancy, at the right price, would be good! The mri results come out on April 5th. Mum is going to visit our #1 choice next week, and if she likes it, (and they think it is right for her) then we'll get put on the waiting list.

10 minutes to read, then get dd up...
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Had a super journey up. Caught the tram, then train #1, a very brisk 10 min walk indeed and a run down the platform to train#2, a meander to train #3, and a good 40min walk, arriving 40 mins earlier than anticipated.

Caught up with big sis; found some ys gf rolls; found some jeans for £1.99; then walked to mum's. Thus far, the visit has been so far removed from my last one that it is almost unbelievable.

Determined to do my best, I got mum chattering about her early teaching career so much that she needed a lie down! Then we worked on a jigsaw and a lovely friend came for tea.

There have been very few tears, no obvious tetchiness, plenty of laughter. What a blessed relief!
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Wow Apple that sounds like a nice day with your mum, but a lot of rushing for you, hope you are OK and Trip goes well.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Worth that journey for some quality time. Are you just there for a few days?
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Am here just until sunday this time.

Today is setting itself up for being more of a roller coaster... But at least it isn't raining...yet!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Indeed, a roller coaster. A good morning, then in the afternoon I managed to really upset mum and she walked out in tears. We did get it all sorted and by the time her friend came for tea, we were friends again. What horrifies me was just how furious I became, totally ignoring the FACT that it is the dementia that has made her this way. I hope that I have learned a very salutory lesson.

I find it extremely difficult being away from dd (and dh, but to a much lesser extent :D), yet here I am constantly reminded of how much big sis does and puts up with (from what I see myself, and from what other people tell me) - which makes me feel rotten that I don't do more to help her. I know that I simply cannot do more, without dd becoming very upset and distressed - and she is more precious to me than anything else. And there is my own (mental) health to consider.

So, what if mum doesn't like the care home; what if she refuses to go there; what if they have a stupidly long waiting list; what if she/they 'fail' the probationary period...

And we still have another 4 weeks for the results of the mri done on Jan 11th...
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Hugs Apple. How are you managing at work in all of this?
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Thank you small. Work is just 'there'. I have a good set of groups this year and because they took the infant teaching off me (one of my conditions of returning to work) but were unable to reduce the amount of time I am at work by the same amount, I get 'extra' free periods. I'm not paid for them, mind, but it is extra time to get things done.

I am in a lovely school - still there after 15 years - and being a veteran of the place helps.

Best go and feed us. Mum was crying at 4.45, up at 5.45 and hasn't been back to sleep since. (Me neither...)
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Glad work is OK. xxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family