Things You Never Thought You Could Sell

Options

Comments

• fizzy702
    fizzy702 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All
    I have been selling on Ebay for about 4yrs and now have a shop..... Its still amazies me what people will buy sometimes there is now way to second guess what will sell and what wont but to be honest nothing gets thrown away in my house , well not unless its really mankie or broken!!! Even friends and family give me all there throw outs now :)
    Best item I have ever sold is a pair of flip flops I got free with a bottle of malibu (I dont like flip flops) well sold on Ebay for £10 + postage :)
    Just because something is broken it dosnt mean it wont sell some people like the parts just remember to add broken or damaged to the listing several time in bold letters ....:)
    Total Debt - 09/04/2012 = £43,030 !!!:eek:

CC1 = £4370 CC2 = £2005 CC3 = £8220 CC4 = £6780
    CC4 = £7905 CC5 = £11,350
    O/D 1 = £1100 O/D 2 = £1300
    :eek:
  • lucys_mum
    lucys_mum Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooooh what a brilliant thread! Have been trying to pluck up courage 2 get started for ages - thank you all you've spurred me on
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    *KT* wrote: »
    I was surprised that people are still buying VHS.
    Me too :) I sold one set of three family movies, some classics like "Annie" and else, don't remember. I've got £2 for it.
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    I won a handheld games console in a raffle about 15 years ago, having bought just one 20p ticket. It's been lingering in my cupboard for years, and I've contemplated sending it down the charity shop several times. Finally listed it on eBay - put a bit of effort into it, with good photos and even a YouTube video showing it working. Still got several days to run and I'm already up to £13 and have 19 watchers!!!
  • Dougie1308
    Dougie1308 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently scoured the house for all our broken gold jewellry, old rings that dont fit, odd earrings etc, weighed about 30grms, just under an ounce and a half, and got £400+ for it + postage, didnt cost that much new ! :j
  • LittleMissGiggles123
    Options
    I know it isn't really an unusual item, but I put a pair of my husbands converse all stars on last night & have already got bids of £9.52 plus 11 watchers. Still got 6 days left on the auction so hoping to get a little bit more.

I've also listed my first digital camera. Its about 6 years old now, no charger, instructions or box, only 3 megapixel & the bid is currently on £14.00.

The most surprising item i've got quite a bit for on ebay though was an xbox360 faceplate. It was free with a game my husband bought. I only put it on as a joke expecting to get 99p for it. Got £15 in the end!

Get listing people. It declutters the house & although some items might not get much money, its still more than you would have if the item was still stuck in your loft :)

x
  • horse76
    horse76 Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sold the BOX of my early 80's Sindy house - no house just the box, which I found in my parents attic - it sold for £8.

DH sold his old well-used Adidas Sambas for about £15, and the buyer lived in a very nice area of a town my DH grew up in.

Also sold an old Storage Heater we had sitting in cupboard doing nothing - sold for £37.
    2017 - no clutter to be seen challenge: 72/2017
    Weight loss the old style way challenge - 7/14lbs :j
  • lola34
    lola34 Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Options
    About a year ago I cleared out loads of DS's toys that were in the loft, found a Buzz Lightyear mask, just a plastic 'normal' one, bit tatty around the edges but mentioned it in the lsting, it sold for £7, can't remember where it even came from probably given or picked up on the car booty- off to have a rummage and find what I can sell!!!!!!!
  • glitterjunkie
    Options
    I often sell free samples of cosmetics (sachets of shampoo, perfume etc that you get free in magazines!). I just wait until I've got 10 or so, bundle them all together and advertise them as 'ideal for holidays/travel' as people don't have to waste valuable suitcase space taking the full bottles. They usually sell too - not for loads, but a couple of quid plus postage which all adds up when they were free in the first place :D

Probably the strangest thing I sell is used bras... that sounds strange I know, but people do buy them, and not in a pervy way! They are all good makes like Wonderbra etc, and all freshly washed before sending - it's just that I change sizes whenever I lose or put on a few pounds, so I am always buying new ones and it seems a shame to chuck the old ones out when they are £20+ to buy new. I always clearly state that they are worn but freshly laundered before sending. Also I have hundreds of bras, so they are not like really old tatty worn ones - they are colourful fashion bras which have been worn maybe 10-20 times each, rather than manky old plain ones which have been worn every day for 2 years or something, lol. A bundle of 4 usually sells for around £8-£12 (99p start) - again, something which I'd have thrown away, so better than a kick in the teeth!

I have thought seriously about selling my old shoes to the foot fetishists in the past, haha... I work on my feet all day, and regularly replace my work shoes because they are always absolutely minging after a few months and only fit for the bin. There is a certain group of men who seem to pay big money for things like that! I have no idea why? I just can't bring myself to do it though... I don't think it is worth them possibly stalking me forever for the sake of a few quid!

Attempting to pay off our debts! Balances Jan 2018 -
    Family member £3,700 - Virgin CC £1,000 - MBNA £1,700 - Barclaycard £2,500 (was £2,700) - Halifax CC £1,280
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    It really is phenomenal what can be shifted if you target the right buyer.

I'm curious now - what's the most useless piece of utter garbage you've ever sold? Of all the 'things you never thought you could sell', what one item sticks out in your mind because you found it unbelievable that someone paid to take it off your hands!?

I think my #1 item, so far, would have to be a bunch of expired 35mm camera films that ended up selling for £9.30.

What's your #1 item!?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure