Things You Never Thought You Could Sell

Options

Comments

• Watalie
    Watalie Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    A very productive few hours :)

I now have over 40 items listed and some have already been bid on.

I love the e-Bay buzz :D:D
  • Tiggy10
    Tiggy10 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a clear out over last weekend of some stuff i had at my parents house i havent needed in the last 18 months ive been at uni, total made out of 14 items at the end of the bidding was just short of £50! a few items were old autographs i had, but some were things like board games, clothes, figurines...

I have a feeling i will be clearing lots of stuff out from my parents on trips home!
    Paying it all off in 2017:
    Finance 1- [STRIKE]115[/STRIKE] Paid Jan 2017
    Finance 2- 335
    CC - [STRIKE]2000[/STRIKE]1800
    OD 1 - [STRIKE]2200[/STRIKE] 1850
    OD 2 - 2500
  • jtz
    jtz Posts: 1,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    katsu wrote: »
    The ebay board would generally advise you not to do this as it can affect your detailed seller ratings (as buyers can get cross and give you low stars) and thus affect where you appear in search results etc.

Better to use higher starting prices if you need to, or just accept a slightly lower "profit" on your old stuff.

Do buyers generally give lower feedback if you pack items in 'recycled' packaging? Got loads of junk I want to sell but the P&P part always puts me off. Have loads of used jiffy bags e.t.c and would love to use them but am worried buyers may give me low feedback.
    p.s i'm a first time seller but have some feedback from buying

TIA
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm an ebay buyer and seller and have no problems with recycled packaging.
    I add it to my listing info just in case someone else does but as long as my parcel arrives safely I'm happy.
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    jtz wrote: »
    Do buyers generally give lower feedback if you pack items in 'recycled' packaging? Got loads of junk I want to sell but the P&P part always puts me off. Have loads of used jiffy bags e.t.c and would love to use them but am worried buyers may give me low feedback

I never ever buy new jiffy bags or packaging unless I'm selling something massive... just like you, I have wads and wads of old jiffy bags and try and use those all the time... even cutting them down to size and taping them back up again to reduce the weight. If you need to pad something out to prevent breakage, just use scrumpled (is that even a word!?) newspaper. I'm yet to have a single negative comment regarding my packaging.

I remember buying a CD off eBay a few years back, and the seller wrapped it in old wallpaper. I thought it was genius, so left a positive comment about it in my feedback.

As long as it doesn't look scruffy, you'll be fine.
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's been very interesting reading through this thread, it's amazing what people will buy. I did a search on ebay earlier, and found someone had sold what looks like a cardboard box for £95, clearly listed as empty packaging only! Also earlier this year someone listed snow on there, obviously a joke, and got bids up to about £2000!

I've recently sold a few old mobile phones (including mine and OH's very first ones which we bought in the 90's), none of them was worth anything according to the phone recycling sites, so I thought I'd try them on ebay, and if they didn't sell I'd take them to the charity shop. I was convinced that they wouldn't sell, and I started each one for between £1 & £3 and got between £1 and £16 for them, and only 1 went for the start price of £1. I was very surprised at the £16, as that was for my oldest one, and I started it at £3! Also sold one of my DS's electronic toys from the 80's, which I couldn't sell at car boot for £5, and got £11.50 for it. After reading this thread I think I'll go through his old cars and toys and see what we can get for them.
    jtz wrote: »
    Do buyers generally give lower feedback if you pack items in 'recycled' packaging? Got loads of junk I want to sell but the P&P part always puts me off. Have loads of used jiffy bags e.t.c and would love to use them but am worried buyers may give me low feedback.
    p.s i'm a first time seller but have some feedback from buying

TIA

I always use recycled jiffy bags, and I always quote this in the listing, in case anyone has a problem with it, and I've never had any bad feedback for doing so. Receiving something in used packaging doesn't bother me, unless they've charged a lot for p&p. The only time I use new packaging is if it's something in a box, when I cover it in parcel paper, but I get that from the £1 shop, along with the sellotape which is usually a 5 roll pack.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Monkeynut
    Monkeynut Posts: 2,116 Forumite
    Options

I remember buying a CD off eBay a few years back, and the seller wrapped it in old wallpaper. I thought it was genius, so left a positive comment about it in my feedback.

What a fantastic idea. I might have to try that one.
    I tend to use brown paper, but cheapy brown paper, which is probably a bit of a false economy really as it's much thinner and rips easier so I end up using loads of brown tape as well so it can't tear.

I use wallpaper quite a lot for craft projects as I just get free samples from Homebase!! :D

Definitely glad I've kept an eye on this thread now!!
    :T
    Half of November Make £10 a Day Challenge: £51/ £170
  • mum2kathryn
    Options
    Monkeynut wrote: »
    What a fantastic idea. I might have to try that one.
    I tend to use brown paper, but cheapy brown paper, which is probably a bit of a false economy really as it's much thinner and rips easier so I end up using loads of brown tape as well so it can't tear.

I use wallpaper quite a lot for craft projects as I just get free samples from Homebase!! :D

Definitely glad I've kept an eye on this thread now!!
    :T

Our local homebase was giving away half used rolls of wallpaper a while ago 'for drawing on'. I got 2/3 roll in plain pink, sure it will come in useful for something.
  • Agent1013
    Agent1013 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options

As long as it doesn't look scruffy, you'll be fine.

I've been using wallpaper instead of brown wrap for years. simply buy £1 or even 50p rolls from the wallpaper factory clearance shop. I've even picked up rolls for 10p at car boot sales :D

Huge savings to be made - 10m roll of wallpaper for typically 50p/£1 compared to a 2m roll brown wrap at the PO for £2.50! I send a lot of boxed items and over the years reckon I've saved a few hundred in packing costs!!:money:

As for selling items you would think would never sell I recently I sold my old garden shed which was falling down and rotten in places for £38 (£100 to buy new) also my 10 year old cooker for £88 - not bad for a cooker I got free because it was left by the previous owners of my house when I bought it, I also got 8 years use from it before I sold it. It was 'b graded' and had some dents in the back and side although not visible when put between units - reckon it was no more than about £200 new
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Darn it! I took a roll of unused wallpaper to the tip last week - why didn't I think if this!!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure