PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    NSD #3 for February for me today YEAY!! I resisted a huge out of (my) town Mr T for YS hunt as I know there's plenty of most things in the freezer and we are all meal planned and stocked up until a week tomorrow (except for milk and bread tomorrow and end of week plus salady bits for weekend).

My meal plans are on one of two white boards we use in the kitchen for kids' chores, meals, all appointments / activities that week and who is/isn't eating at home each day. Shopping list is next to the meal plan and we add to that when the last of something is used or nearly used up. The kids are really embracing the planning and organisation and knowing there's treats available if needed but always are (and have been) limited as I have weight / food issues and can't have them in the house. Although I admit it has been good therapy to bake again as I know it's in the house so the kids can have but I keep it all out of sight / out of mind or even in the freezer because by the time it's defrosted I've lost the impulse to scoff it.

Meal plan this week:
    S: roast pork, veg, gravy
    M: probably roast pork dinner again - change the veg and add actifry chips
    T: cheese omelette and spaghetti hoops (quick and easy tea)
    W: chilli con carne nachos (natural yogurt, cheese, tortilla chips. grated carrot and radish salad)
    T: chicken and bacon traybake with veg
    F: cheese, bacon and veg triangles (ready roll puff pastry in freezer)
    S: grilled sukuk, halloumi, salad
    S: lasagne with salad

Kids eat at school. OH away for work this week. I tend to eat a brunch of soup which have tonnes in the freezer while still off work - waiting for a start date for my new job. Hope to achieve a further 3 or 4 NSD next week too.
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    This thread is fascinating. What does NSD mean please?

NSD = No Spend Day (I think)... It IS fascinating and totally eye opening too x
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Due to DS2 being with us for another 2 weeks for Uni placement spent another £15 on lunch stuff and salad bits for the week.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Spent £16.17 today. £5.40 of that was on coffee!
    Wanted cucumbers, I snack on them, but there wasn't any on the shelf.
    Having veggie bean fajitas for dinner.
    OH has decided on pasta for dinner.

£34/£140.
    £106 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    My month has gone horribly wrong already - only 5 days in! I have been poorly, not able to get to Aldi and so had to stagger to the corner shop where I spent £9.75 because it's very expensive in there. So I'm already over budget having spent £18.14 already as I don't think I can make this stuff last another week. Once I'm feeling better I'll reassess things and see what I can do to get back on track. Hope everyone else is having more success.
  • medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    Done our big shops. £30.10 in A*di and 30.50 in t*sco. Fridge full of fresh stuff, topped up on tins, meat and Gf pasta and rice, Catfood etc. Shouldn't be needing to hit shops for this week ��
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Worrierwalker
    Options
    Thanks Jensfeet, that makes sense- I have quite a few NSDs as we live in the middle of nowhere.

I almost had a fit when I totted up how much we spend on food a month. At the moment we have no cooking facilities except a micro wave so I'm buying more ready meals than I'd like- not sure if that's why it seems so high. The thing is I thought I was fairly thrifty, whereas I'm not.
    I'm going to have a go at sticking to £350 a month, including pet food.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spent this afternoon cooking up a storm in the kitchen.

using some YS soup mixes and some chicken stock from the freezer I made soup for mid week lunches.

Roasted a medium chook. I stripped it and we'll use some of the meat for a roast, fajitas and stir fry. I've frozen the surplus meat. I've boiled the carcass to make stock (which i'll freeze until I next make soup) and used the juices to make a pint of proper gravy. Not bad for a bird that cost just under £4!

Taking advantage of the heat of the oven I roasted some parsnips and spuds for tomorrow's tea. I also cooked jacket potatoes. We had one each for the tea tonight and the other 2 are in the fridge for a mid week lunch.

I also made a big frittata which we'll snack on over the coming days. I then chopped carrot and cucumber batons to have with hummus.

I have dried fruit soaking in tea which I'll use to make fruit loaves tomorrow. One for this week and one will be frozen until next week.

We grated the big block of EM cheddar we bought on special offer in Lidl last week and froze that.

I even cleaned the fridge!

Hopefully that will put is the the right path of good and frugal food choices this week.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karenccs67 wrote: »
    I use a spreadsheet so I can easily move/change things about. I usually have a 2 week menu plan and repeat it with a few changes. Eg. Beef or chicken curry, sausage, egg & chips or sausages, potatoes and veg. If we've had bacon rolls at the weekend (I don't cook proper meals at the weekend) I might make hunters chicken with left over bacon. I batch cook chilli and Spagbol so when the men are having meat pies or fish pie (I don't like those) I can defrost a chilli portion. It's all very boring really but it suits us.

Sounds like a good plan you have. I struggle to meal plan, partly because I change my mind too much plus tend to eat \ replace the same things rather than use up what I have \ base my meals on my stockpiles.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    just had dinner at Dds as usual and came home with left over veg and some beef so no cooking tomorrow night and Tuesday I am out to dinner at DDs and Wednesday I have a freebie voucher to use up in the Beefeater for a main meal, also Thursday I am out to dinner at my sis-inlaws so no cooking then either so only have Friday and Saturday to cook this week :):):) definitely a no spend week almost :)as I will freezer dive on those two days

JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport